Please help!!

This is a discussion on Please help!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So, I can get a good price on a high mileage (145k) t/a formula. Automatic car. But, when i checked ...

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

Please help!!

So, I can get a good price on a high mileage (145k) t/a formula. Automatic car. But, when i checked it out the other day it ran fine around the block, then right before we were to load it onto the trailer and complete the deal the car stalled out and wouldnt start or run without spraying starter fluid into the air inlet, as soon as i stopped sprayin it the car would stall. Mt question is: do you guys think it's a fuel pump? if so how difficult are they to change, or how expensive for a shop to fix?? Any other possibles other than fuel pump? Thank guys~~

Important to note that it didnt smoke, or knock, or seem weak while it did run. I've always been told a car needs three things to run: air/fuel/ and spark. If it obviously had air, I assume it had spark since it ran around the block, wouldnt fuel be the remaining link? Just dont want a super expensive repair surprise...
    Last edited by walt's 98 ta; 12-26-2008 at 10:41 AM. Reason: info

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

When you turn the key you should hear the pump prime. A light humming sound. If you dont hear it, check the relay and chances are its the pump.
    Check your fuel pressure at the rail.
    Scan to see if its throwing any codes.
    There are plenty of write up's floating around here, just run a search. If you do it yourself its cheap, if you take it somewhere it cost you a arm and a leg and your first born child.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Sounds like a fuse/relay/pump as stated above....

1,320 bad ass

black
    98 formula

yea, when you turn on the key to "on position" you dont here any humm or sound at all? fuse/ or pump ya think? thanx guys alot!

red
    2000 camaro ss

you might have to get a buddy to stick his head near the tank to see if he hears anything. many times, a failing pump will make some noise (a weak, or strange noise) when it is failing. if you hear a weak pump that just ends/makes your troubleshooting easier.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

could also pickup a fuel pressure tester from chinazone or you local parts store and see what your pressure is at the rail.
    J

Thread Information