Please, anyone in the East Orlando area. HELLLLP!!!!!

So I just finished college and I was driving to orlando to catch a flight home for the holidays when all of a sudden I smelled burning rubber then the "check alternator" message flashed and my car(04 gto) ran hot. I pulled over and my timing belt(?) broke!!! Idk what to do. Is that something I can fix if I am somewhat handy, or are there any mecs in the east orlando area that could help me out? I'm in Nebraska, but the car was towed to a buddies and he will pay for the repairs.
    I appreciate any responses

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

You don't have a timing belt. LS motors keep time with a chain, you can't see the timing chain by just popping the hood. The timing chain is behind the timing chain cover which requires tearing into the front of the motor.

You most likely lost your serpentine belt. Serpentine belts are made of rubber and cord. That accounts for your burning smell. If the belt is old enough it could of just come apart but the burning smell means one of the pulleys stopped turning, the belt rubbed on that pulley, got hot and came apart from too much friction.

Your "check alternator" message appeared because without a belt the alternator pulley stops spinning and your voltage drops. Your car got hot because without a belt the water pump stops turning and you no longer have anything circulating coolant through the coolant system.

I would look under the hood and spin all the pulleys by hand. They should all be easy to turn by hand with the exception of the crank pulley. If one of them is seized, making noise or grinding while turning than that one is most likely your culprit. Simple fix. I wouldn't be too worried.

Yea, the pulley up top was a complete loss. And water shot out everywhere some how. I really appreciate your input. (timing belt... smh. I need to learn more about my car,lol) Hopefully I can do it myself when I get back

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by laviente View Post
    Yea, the pulley up top was a complete loss. And water shot out everywhere some how. I really appreciate your input. (timing belt... smh. I need to learn more about my car,lol) Hopefully I can do it myself when I get back
    The water could be from the coolant getting too hot and boiling over through the reservoir/cap or the belt could of damaged a coolant line as it came apart and swung around. Look over all the coolant lines in the front of the motor to make sure nothing is cut, cracked or knocked off.

Your something like a life saver bro. Thanks!!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

If I understand right the car is in Orlando still? If you still need some help let me know I live by Seaworld.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

your next concern will be how hot the car got.......hopefully you didn't do any real damage. Aluminum heads don't like heat.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    your next concern will be how hot the car got.......hopefully you didn't do any real damage. Aluminum heads don't like heat.
    Tell me about it. My wife's car crack the block because she didn't know how to read the gauge...

Thread Information