Thread: plates!

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

plates!

Hey this isn't actually not mechanically related. I'm from Canada as you may be able to tell, and I want to buy a car in the States.
    Now I've been phoning various dmv's in the states but they haven't been very helpful. At one point I was going to buy a car in PA. and they told me I could get this thing called a cardboard plate, or transit permit. (This is what two of my friends of recieved from dealerships when driving their cars back) Although now I'm dealing in Missouri and/or Illinois and NO dmv *phoned more then 10* know what the hell I'm talking about all they can offer me are "drive away" permits... they don't sound like the same thing... and don't sound half as good.
    I guess what I'm getting at here is I'm getting desperate things are looking grim and I was wondering if anyone on either side of the border have gone through this and have any information to share on teh subject.
    Also if you live in the St. Louis are *within 50 miles* and know a good dmv to deal with PLEASE get me their number.
    thanks for the help in advance!

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

it's called a temporary tag. if you don't have a tag to transfer to the car immediately, the dealer puts a temporary tag on it, which is good for 30 days. this is to allow you time to get a permanent tag for the vehicle.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

white
    2002 z28

i worked in canada for years and my boss always got cars over here there is that speedy pass or what ever you call it but you will have to go to customs i think or it could be by mail but you will have to pay canada taxes on it also. and another bad thing from when my friend bought a car over in windsor since its only 15 min from detroit, is that our cars will have MPH and CA's cars will have kalimeters

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

Well I was on the phone for more then 4 hours today phoning various dmv's, law enforment offices and what have you. I came up with a Non-Resident Permit, its out of Missouri, I phoned dmv's and law enforcement offices in every state that I'll be driving through and they all said that its valid there too. So that seems to be like a good deal I guess I'm really not worried about that anymore expect for maybe one thing. I don't know if I have any insurance coverage... I was wondering if anyone out there has ever dealt with one of these permits before and have any light to shed on the subject thanks it would be greatly appreciated.

white
    2002 z28

do you know that you will have to pay your contries TAX. i know my friend had to pay usa tax just to enter in.

and i know i told you bore but just to make your car regualr for you your going to have to get new guage face or just use the small inner guages....

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I'm not sure how canada works with insurance, but here in new york you can just give the insurance company the vin and description of the car and can get insurance cards for it. i usually do this before i pick up a car, even if i drive it without being registered to me.

black
    2002 WS6

I had a dealer get my car up from Texas, no issues, just be warned the cutoms may take there sweet time with car so have all the paper work needed ready and on the go. Have you stopped by a canada custome office to check on whats needed?

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

I appreciate all help guys, ya not too worry I dealt with the border and all those transactions long ago. I know aboutall that stuff it was just a matter of getting a permit which I do have now.
    Now its just a matter of time before I buy the car thanks for all the help.

Thread Information