Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Piston slap, lifters, exahaust leak, or something else? vid

This is a discussion on Piston slap, lifters, exahaust leak, or something else? vid within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; yep....sounds like piston slap to me which is common and normal on these engines. Definitely sounds too slow to be ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep....sounds like piston slap to me which is common and normal on these engines. Definitely sounds too slow to be valvetrain related.

02 WS6 Stock

redbird, thanks for the videos. That's reassuring! I think i freaked out for nothing. I just wish there was an easy fix.

I'm going to change my oil soon back to conventional but before i will seafoam the oil and try to get any carbon out and see if that helps.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by elwood View Post
    redbird, thanks for the videos. That's reassuring! I think i freaked out for nothing. I just wish there was an easy fix.

I'm going to change my oil soon back to conventional but before i will seafoam the oil and try to get any carbon out and see if that helps.
    you could try it....I went to conventional and it seemed to help a tad bit. I finally fixed it with some really loud ass exhaust.

It's just do to the piston skirts slapping the block until everything warms up and the tolerances get tighter. I know it's hard to say that's "normal" but it's common on a lot of these cars and many have 100k miles plus with it.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

ya no prob mine always slaps it never goes fully away but like orion said i fixed mine with loud exhaust and music

Impounded
    Yup. Mines definantly piston slap. Anything i can do for that?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    Yup. Mines definantly piston slap. Anything i can do for that?
    Turn the radio up / get louder exhaust

Impounded
    Or replace with a LS6?

Navy Blue
    2013 ZL1

My car had the piston slap when it was cold. It wasn't always there, it started about the same time one of my cats went bad. Since I have put on headers and removed the cats the piston slap is gone. I've heard a lot of people say the piston slap is normal it has something to do with the oval design of the piston. I think I read a different thread that someone had written that said that their bad cat caused the piston slap as well. It a cheap fix and if it doesn't work it will at least help hide the noise.

02 WS6 Stock

I just changed the oil to Valvoline conventional 10w30 and it made it maybe 10% less noisier on a cold startup.

I took another video after completely warming the engine because i can still hear a faint noise. I poked around with my stethoscope with the car on ramps and the noise sounds louder at the top of the engine around the intake manifold and drivers side head/exhaust manifold, etc.

Am i being paranoid? Is this normal valvetrain noise or is it a lifter, piston slap, exhaust leak, or something else?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yagUS9NfRSM[/ame]

02 WS6 Stock

Went to a friends house today and we went through the cylinders turning each injector off and the noise seems to be coming from cylinder 3.

Blue
    2001 Corvette Convertible

Seems to be typical of these engines and years I have a 2001 Vette with ls1 41 K that does the exact same thing. Runs fine goes away quickly. I put some LUcas in mine and that seems to have made is quite down and go away quicker. I dont plan to do anything about it if it does not get worse any time soon. No point in spending money when the car runs very nice

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    this is exactly what my car is doing. took it to the dealership...they called me 45mins after i dropped it off telling me i needed a rebuild...lazy bastards... if its just a lifter. im going to be upset. once spring roles around... im definantly getting someoone else to look at it...
    first mistake... try to find someone that works on our platforms...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by elwood View Post
    I just changed the oil to Valvoline conventional 10w30 and it made it maybe 10% less noisier on a cold startup.

I took another video after completely warming the engine because i can still hear a faint noise. I poked around with my stethoscope with the car on ramps and the noise sounds louder at the top of the engine around the intake manifold and drivers side head/exhaust manifold, etc.

Am i being paranoid? Is this normal valvetrain noise or is it a lifter, piston slap, exhaust leak, or something else?

sounds like a normal LS1 to me.....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Agree with Orion.

02 WS6 Stock

Even after completely warming up?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep....noisy engines.

Navy Blue
    2013 ZL1

My piston slap went away after it was warm and even cold it wasn't that bad scared the shit out of me when it first started happening. Do you have a check engine light on? Also try changing out those old factory plugs and wires for some NGK's and MSD wires. I'm not sure what made mine go away weather it was the tune up or headers and removing the cats but its gone after having the same noise for months.

02 WS6 Stock

Check engine light is not on. Oil pressure is perfect. I'm changing to MSD/NGK this weekend.

Navy Blue
    2013 ZL1

Hope it gets better for you. I know your pain. I got to the point where I just excepted my fate and thought I was doomed. At least your car is getting some much deserved love. Also make sure you feel 2 clicks when putting those MSD wires on. They're kinda a bitch especially in the back. Keep us updated

02 WS6 Stock

It's 2 clicks on the coil. One on the plugs, no?

Since I know the noise is coming from cylinder 3 or 5 I wonder if I can pull those two plugs and pour a little seafoam in both and let it sit for about an hour. Would there be any potential problems doing this? Just to rule out carbon.
    Last edited by elwood; 02-16-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information