Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Pics rear quarter flex wrinkles dimples?

Does any one have pics they would like to share that shows the typical dimples, wrinkles, dents, etc caused by too much body flex without SFCs?

My car looks pretty clean but would like to see what an f-body looks like that has this kind of damage. I will have to take pics tomorrow when the sun decides to come out.

thanks

kool-aide

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I dont have any pics on hand but i started to get the Infamous "dimples" on my SS befor i put my Sfc's in. Right above the center of rear wheel area.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

NBM
    99 TA

i have them too, if you get them fixed (dent puller type deal) will they come back? I have sfc's now

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Since my Sfc's i havent seen them come back and since then the car has had several upgrades and alot more power to the wheels.
    J

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I had one once. My paintless dent repair guy took care of it. Got subframes and haven't seen another since.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

well for the third day in a row it is cloudy and rainy. Maybe I will have pics tomorrow. Although from the sounds of it I doubt I have any wrinkles or flex.

thanks

kool-aide

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

I've got both. Its disgusting. But I look at it as a sign of it being fast.

NBM
    98 Mecham TA #4 of 14

It is a common problem with fourth gen F bodys. Even if it is bone stock it will most likely have a few dimples over time.

Frame rail connectors are a good idea on our cars but they will not cure this problem. A roll cage is probably the only option to brace or help stabilize the rear of the car.

SFC are a great addition to any F body but they simply do nothing to reinforce the rear of our cars. They connect the front and rear unitized long members deviding the load between them that would other wise be transmitted through the weak floor pan. The rear long member or unitized frame rail is a two piece rail with a "very" weak point "crush zone" just behind the rear seat or cabin erea. This was designed into our cars intentionally to lessen the shock to the passengers in the event of a rear collision. This weak erea or crush zone acts as a hinge and allows the rear of the body to flex just enough that we get the dimples in the quarter panels. The quarter panels are a structural component on our cars and they do get a lot of stress applied to them. I also have seen countless stock unmodified cars with the dimples and I feel it has far more to do with the rough roads or driving habbits than the torque output of the engine tweaking them. I have cut these cars appart and pieced them back together enough times that I know the inner structure of them like the back of my hand.

For this reason I also warn people against cutting slots in the wheel well lip to aid in rolling it for larger tires. Every slot or cut you make you add a stress riser to envite more dimples along with rust.

The unitized construction of the fourth gen F-bodys is very structurally stabil with the one exeption being the crush zone in the rear.

Those of you that still have the spare tire, sub boxes/amps ect. in the rear of your car are only placing more stress on the rear. The over hang on the rear of our cars is substantial, this along with the coil springs being right in the middle of the weak zone only make the problem worse.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

that's a mouth full, thanks.

Well I just installed my draw tite hitch. I guess I should expect wrinkles in the rear soon, cuz i plan on pulling my son's soap box derby car on a small trailer. I got tired of cramming it in the back.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Mine got the dimples after i left it at the dealer for a few days to get the rear fixed.I guess thats why i put the hidden throttle stop under the carpet and a hidden extra switch to turn off the traction control.

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

is that for teenagers or self control? LOL good idea!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    Those of you that still have the spare tire, sub boxes/amps ect. in the rear of your car are only placing more stress on the rear. The over hang on the rear of our cars is substantial, this along with the coil springs being right in the middle of the weak zone only make the problem worse.
    So, for those of us that have some heavy "extras" in the rear, what do you suggest we do to strengthen the weak zone?

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

good question, any one have any ideas, besides my two obvious, SFCs and Roll Cage?

white
    2002 z28

i have some weird dents on both sides. thought were door dings but there identical locations. . ill post up pics soon as .

maybe thats what you guys are talking about
    Last edited by greatwhiteZ28; 10-31-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

i think so, that's why i asked if any one could share pics. I looked at a few f-bodies before settling on the one i have. Non had anything I would have considered moure than a parking lot ding. But maybe those "parking lot" dings are really the stress wrinkles?

Maybe Noel will leave some sunshine long enough for me to take pics

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

I have them in the quarter panels of my car. The guy before me drove the car pretty hard so they arent from me but they're there. Ill try and get some pictures in the next few days.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

i forgot to get the camera out today. we had a bief spot of sunny, no thanks to Noel.

I noticed below my t-top black panel in the rear quarter the slightest little something in the body. To me it looks like a small wrinkle. I think the only way i can capture it with the camera is for a real good sunny day to cast shadows or highlight the uneven metal.

but they are oh so small and hard to notice. I would love to see some that are eye catchers.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

sooo....where are the pics?

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

dunno, i guess no one has pics.

I have been plagued by seattle style weather since Noel. I can't get a good sunny day to safe my life.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I saw a thread well over a year ago on here with pics. I think it is in the suspension section

Thread Information