Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

JET BLACK
    99 SS

Pick on brand of PREMIUM 91 GAS FOR LIFE???

I just bought a 98 ss, and want to know what brand of 91 octane is better for your ls1 ss. Chevron, shell, arco, or 76 for best performance? If you could pick one for for life, what would it be out of the four and why?

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by khickenwang View Post
    I just bought a 98 ss, and want to know what brand of 91 octane is better for your ls1 ss. Chevron, shell, arco, or 76 for best performance? If you could pick one for for life, what would it be out of the four and why?
    never had a bad batch with shell, ran into 2 bad batches with chevron and ive only been there 2 times. arco is 10 minutes away and 76 is 20 minutes away. closest is shell fortunately.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

ive been using valero the last 2 years....when i first moved here, it was convenient, now i just like them....

to be honest, i can tell the difference in regular, and premium, but ive never noticed a difference between brands

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    ive been using valero the last 2 years....when i first moved here, it was convenient, now i just like them....

to be honest, i can tell the difference in regular, and premium, but ive never noticed a difference between brands
    Isn't that the Chavez oil?

Sunoco 94 and have had 0 problems.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I live in PHX and have been using QT (Quick Trip). I don't know who refines their gas but I've never had a problem.

When I lived in LA I went with Union 76 exclusively.

On the road I try to stick to major brands. I stay away from Arco. Green gas ain't my thing...

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Isn't that the Chavez oil?

Sunoco 94 and have had 0 problems.
    yeah it is, lol

the only brands we have around here are shell, chevron, and valero...shells are pretty rare, chevron is jsut too damn expensive, valeros are everywhere and cheaper.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Never had a bad batch, usually use shell or arco no problems. Some friends say they use chevron exclusively but someone stated above they got bad gas. This looks like it could turn into a royal purple thread.

Black
    1999 WS6 Ram Air Trans-Am

I use marathon premium (93). No problem at all.

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

chevron 93 here.... its about 300 yards from my house
    HONDAS ARE LIKE TAMPONS... EVERY PUSSY HAS ONE!
    **PHK**

Black
    1998 Trans Am

BP 93 or if im in town Sunoco 93. BP is closet so its usually what i use, its either that or 7 Eleven, which i will NOT use. Ive never had an issue with either of these fuels.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

I've never had a problem with any of the gas I've run. I usually use a local chain called Wesco. I've heard some people have had problems with their gas, but they have clean stations and they're everywhere here. Sometimes I'll go to a Shell.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You guys are really asking which gas companies meet the Top Tier requirements.....
    http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Requirements to meet Top Tier status are as follows.....so any listed companies are the best you can put in your baby....

Deposit Control Standards
    The standards developed by the four automobile manufacturers (BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota) for TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline are described below. This technical document describes the deposit control performance of unleaded gasoline at the retail level that minimizes deposits on fuel injectors, intake valves, and combustion chambers. These standards comprise the requirements for TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.
    Standards
    1.1 Retail Gasoline Performance Standards. The deposit control performance of unleaded gasoline conforming to section 1 of this document shall be met at the retail level in all grades of gasoline sold by a fuel company in all marketing areas of a selected nation. In addition, conformance to the standards shall mean gasoline sold in the selected nation shall not contain metallic additives, including methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).
    1.2 Deposit Control Additive Requirements. The deposit control additive used to meet the performance Standards described in 1.3 shall meet the substantially similar definition under Section 211(f) of the Clean Air Act. Also, the additive shall be certified to have met the minimum deposit control requirements established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 40 CFR Part 80. Lastly, the additive shall be registered with the EPA in accordance with 40 CFR Part 79.
    1.3 Deposit Control Initial Performance Standards. Initial deposit control performance shall be demonstrated using the tests shown below.
    1.3.1 Intake Valve Keep Clean Initial Performance Standard.
    1.3.1.1 Test Method. Intake valve deposit (IVD) keep clean performance shall be demonstrated using ASTM D 6201, Standard Test Method for Dynamometer Evaluation of Unleaded Spark-lgnition Engine Fuel for Intake Valve Deposit Formation. Tests demonstrating base fuel minimum deposit level (1.3.1.2) and additive performance (1.3.1.3) shall be conducted using the same engine block and cylinder head. All results shall be derived from operationally valid tests in accordance with the test validation criteria of ASTM D 6201. IVD results shall be reported for individual valves and as an average of all valves.
    1.3.1.2 Base Fuel. The base fuel shall conform to ASTM D 4814 and shall contain commercial fuel grade ethanol conforming to ASTM D 4806. All gasoline blend stocks used to formulate the base fuel shall be representative of normal U.S. refinery operations and shall be derived from conversion units downstream of distillation. Butanes and pentanes are allowed for vapor pressure adjustment. The use of chemical streams is prohibited. The base fuel shall have the following specific properties after the addition of ethanol:

1. Contain enough denatured ethanol such that the actual ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent.
    2. Contain no less than 8 volume percent olefins. At least 75% of the olefins shall be derived from FCC gasoline as defined by CARB (advisory letter, April 19, 2001).
    3. Contain no less than 28 volume percent aromatics.
    4. Contain no less than 48 mg/kg sulfur. At least 60% of the sulfur shall be derived from FCC blend stock.
    5. Produce a 90% evaporation distillation temperature no less than 290�F.
    6. Produce IVD no less than 500 mg averaged over all intake valves.

1.3.1.3 Demonstration of Performance. The base fuel from 1.3.1.2 shall contain enough deposit control additive such the IVD is no more than 50 mg averaged over all intake valves. Results for individual valves and an average shall be reported. The unwashed gum level of the fuel containing deposit control additive shall be determined according to ASTM D 381 and reported.
    1.3.2 Combustion Chamber Deposit Initial Performance Standard.
    1.3.2.1 Test Method. Combustion chamber deposits (CCD) shall be collected and weighed along with IVD using ASTM D 6201, Standard Test Method for Dynamometer Evaluation of Unleaded Spark-Ignition Engine Fuel for Intake Valve Deposit Formation. ASTM D 6201 does not contain a procedure for collecting and measuring CCD. Adapting a scrape and weigh procedure developed by CARB is recommended (see referenced test method dated March 12, 1999). Results for individual cylinders and an average shall be reported.
    1.3.2.2 Base Fuel. Combustion chamber deposits shall be measured for the base fuel from 1.3.1.2.
    --------------------------------
    Continued on next post........................
    Last edited by Sarge; 02-25-2010 at 03:50 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

1.3.2.3 Demonstration of Performance. The base fuel from 1.3.1.2 treated with additive at the concentration meeting the standard found in 1.3.1.3 shall not result in more than 140% of the average CCD weight for the base fuel without additive.
    1.3.3 Fuel Injector Fouling Initial Performance Standard.
    1.3.3.1 Test Method. Fuel injector fouling shall be measured using the TOP TIER fuel injector fouling vehicle test available from GM. GM will run the test on a first-come-first-served basis and shall make the method available to those who wish to run the test on their own.
    1.3.3.2 Base Fuel. Two options for base fuel are available:
    1.3.3.2.1 Option 1. A full boiling range hydrocarbon gasoline or gasoline blending component, without oxygenates and without deposit control additives, that results in at least five inoperative injectors when tested by the method in 1.3.3.1.
    1.3.3.2.2 Option 2. Federal emissions test gasoline specified in DFR 86.113-04, into which 4-methylbenzenethiol (WARNING: Flammable solid; irritant) has been blended at a concentration of 56 mg/L. The blended fuel must result in at least four inoperative injectors when tested by the method in 1.3.3.1. the Federal emissions gasoline, without deposit control additives, available from Haltermann Products (1201 South Sheldon Road, Channelview, TX 77530; tel.: 800-969-2542) has been found to be satisfactory.
    1.3.3.3 Demonstration of Performance. A demonstration of injector fouling shall be done first. At least five out of six injectors (with Option 1) or at least four out of six injectors (with Option 2) shall be inoperative for the test to be valid. A demonstration of additive performance shall be done after the fouling tendency demonstration; no other test shall be conducted on the vehicle in the interim. A demonstration of additive performance shall be conducted using the same vehicle (including the fuel drain and flush procedures and installing new injectors) with the same batch of base fuel, but now containing the same amount of deposit control additive as in 1.3.1.3. A pass is defined as no more than one inoperative injector.
    1.3.4 Determination of Deposit Control Additive Performance Concentration.
    1.3.4.1 Methodology. The concentration of deposit control additive needed to meet the standards in 1.3.1.3 and 1.3.3.3 should be equivalent. However, if the concentration of deposit control additive in 1.3.3.3 is grater than in 1.3.1.3m the higher value shall be regarded as meeting both standards. Also, if the difference between the two concentrations is grater than 15%, 1.3.2.3 shall be repeated using the higher concentration.
    1.3.5 Intake Valve Sticking Initial Performance Standard.
    1.3.5.1 Test Method. Intake valve sticking tendency shall be determined using either the 1.9 L Volkswagen engine (Wasserboxer according to CEC F-16-T-96) or the 5.0 L 1990-95 General Motors V-8 engine (SWRI IVS test). Two options are available for demonstrating intake valve sticking tendency.
    1.3.5.2 Option 1. The valve-sticking tendency of the test fuel by itself will not have to be demonstrated prior to testing the candidate additive. The following shall be required of all tests:

1. Test fuel shall be either the same as in 1.3.1.2 or CEC valve sticking reference fuel.
    2. Concentration of deposit control additive in the test fuel shall be at least twice the amount determined in 1.3.4.1.
    3. Test temperature shall be -20�C.
    4. Three 16-hr cold soak cycles, each followed by a compression pressure check, shall constitute a complete test.

1.3.5.2.1 Demonstration of Performance. A pass shall result in no stuck valves during any of the three cold starts. A stuck valve is defined as one in which the cylinder pressure is less than 80% of the normal average cylinder compression pressure.
    1.3.5.3 Option 2. The valve-sticking tendency of the test fuel together with an additive known to cause valve sticking shall be demonstrated prior to testing the candidate additive. The following shall be required of all tests:

1. Test fuel shall be either the same as in 1.3.1.2 or CEC valve sticking test reference fuel.
    2. An additive known to cause valve sticking shall be selected, and, when blended into test fuel, shall demonstrate valve sticking tendency as follows: (a) for the Volkswagen engine, at least two valves shall be stuck; (b) for the GM engine, at least three valves shall be stuck.
    3. Test demonstrating performance of the candidate additive shall be conducted at a concentration that is at least three times the amount determined in 1.3.4.1.
    4. Test temperature shall be -20�C.
    5. One 16-hr cold soak cycle followed by a compression pressure check shall constitute a complete test.

1.3.5.3.1 Demonstration of Performance. A pass shall result in no stuck valves during the cold start. A stuck valve is defined as one in which cylinder compression is less than 80% of the normal average cylinder compression pressure.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

cliffs notes?

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I would not use Arco gasoline, the "EC" moniker denotes "Ethenol 2%", and I have found that my gas milage drops when using this gasoline.

I generally use Exxon 91 premium fuel.

SteveC

S O M
    2002 Camaro SS

Last edited by KP1; 02-25-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

shell ftw here in Colorado, I notice a difference when I switched

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    You guys are really asking which gas companies meet the Top Tier requirements.....
    http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
    thanks sarge..you saved me a lot of typing ...bp is not on the list for the united states...shell however is and i try to go out of my way on a trip to get shell.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

is there a big difference between 89 and 92-3 performance wise
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    is there a big difference between 89 and 92-3 performance wise
    yes. there is . lower octane rating+ high compression = more detonation