Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

PCV Valve Question

This is a discussion on PCV Valve Question within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I had to replace my knock sensors because they rusted out. The new deisign has the covers up top. I ...

white
    1998 Firebird Formula WS6

I had to replace my knock sensors because they rusted out. The new deisign has the covers up top. I went ahead and replaced both knock sensors and found a new knock sensor wiring harness. I also happen to be doing my LS6 intake at the time.

white

I did have to grind a small section of my block.

Quote Originally Posted by sroach20 View Post
    its easy to do and the knock sensors fit right in. i have an 05 block so i didnt have to grind anything.
    Yes,,,,but it's even easier and less expensive to install an oil catch can. I think thats the mantality that most people here will take.

Not to mention the panic you just caused by saying,,,,,"I have an 05 block and didn't have to grind anything"? What exactly does that mean,,,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WS.6#384 View Post
    I did have to grind a small section of my block.
    What in the world are you grinding on the block? I have always been told this LS6 valley pan was a direct swap. Especially if you already have an LS6 intake as I do.

Hmmm, I am going to take a stab in the dark here and guess that the tube with the red nipple is going to be your new PCV valve hookup point?
    Looks just like how pontiac did it.

So now your not going to have the long plastic tube running around the back of the motor and over to the rear of the driver side valve cover?

Are you going to have to rig up some hose with an inline PCV valve and make a sharp curve up to get behind the throttle body where the other connection is?

That may be difficult to do and make it look nice without a huge loop in the hose. Does GM make the necessary premolded hose to make this a nice install and simple? More details please.

black
    2001 z28

its not a direct swap for early blocks, you have to grind on some of them. this explains everything: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18
    Last edited by sroach20; 12-05-2007 at 12:53 PM.

its not a direct swap for early blocks, you have to grind on some of them. this explains everything: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5
    I read through that,,,,it only shows how to change the intake manifold.

What I am interested in is what is involved with the valley pan swap underneath to an LS6 style valley pan.

It's supposed to have a better PCV system. I am curious about the pictures above in this post. It shows what could be a PCV connection on the front of the valley pan, with a red nipple capping it off. If I am correct this would come right out next to the throttle body,,,,almost right underneath where the current LS1 PCV valve connects to the intake manifold.

With that said,,,,is there a pre-molded hose/PCV setup that would fit this application? Maybe the vette LS6 setup? It would be nice to stop at GM and just pickup the necessary hose setup for this unique PCV system.
    Or is this something that has to be cobbled together?

black
    2001 z28

gm sells a pcv hose for the ls6 setup, it looks like a u and runs like $65 at gmpartsdirect.

gm sells a pcv hose for the ls6 setup, it looks like a u and runs like $65 at gmpartsdirect.
    Oh okay,,,sounds good. I guess you then discard the original plastic pipe that runs along side the intake and to the back of the driver side valve cover.

What is everyone doing with the hole in the valve cover?

black
    2001 z28

the ls6 valley cover comes with a red nipple. you put this over the pipe sticking out on the passenger side and you buy a plug that goes into the driver side.

black
    2001 z28

i accidentally linked to the ls6 intake swap above, i fixed the link listing everything you need for the ls6 swap.

the ls6 valley cover comes with a red nipple. you put this over the pipe sticking out on the passenger side and you buy a plug that goes into the driver side.
    Put it over what pipe sticking out of the passenger side? I am not aware of any. This just looked like a nippled to keep out dirt while shipping. This is where the new PCV will hook to,,,,,which was originally to the driver side valve cover at the rear. This is the only connection that will be exposed after the LS6 valley pan that I am aware of. Right?

white

You have to grind a small section of the block because of the new valley cover design depth.

You then cap off back tube on left valve cover, plug hole in back of right valve cover. and tube up from new port like this. You remove the old tubing in back.

I was tired of the old catch can thing.

black
    2001 z28

http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii...kpcvsystem.jpg
    look at the yellow hose in the picture. it has a tube coming out of the passenger cover and plugs into the drivers cover. that tube is what the red nipple covers. you need to get the rubber plug to cover up the hole in the driver side.

Great pictures,,,thank alot,,,that clears it up for me. Cheers. Larry.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

JEGS Air Oil Separator

Hi there... do you have an image of the JEGS Air Oil Separator installation on your LS1 that you can share with us?

Thank you much,
    Matthew

white

This thread is describing a method to eliminate the need of an air / oil seperator (catch can).

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yeah but MOST are not going to spend that kind of money or labor to eliminate oil consumption.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I have the LS6 valley cover and dont recommend It. I got just as much oil in the intake after installing it as I did before. Hit or miss with this. I run a catch can now. Save your money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information