Thread: Pcv/catch can

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

Pcv/catch can

I just installed a catch can I bought from the ws6 store and I ran the hose that comes off the pcv valve directly to the top of the catch can with the breather element, and the bottom fitting on the catch can goes directly to the intake. is that the correct way? I also installed the new design pcv valve, that is pretty much hollowed out with a small hole in the bottom of it, that I believe makes a whistling sound when letting off throttle, and returning to idle. is it okay to run these together? (new design pcv,catch can) does anybody else have the whistling sound? Thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

You did hook up the hoses right, in regards to the whistling sound I have no idea.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I don't understand how the catch cans with the filters work -- seems that it should be a sealed system.

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

Im sorry the catch can is sealed, I meant theres some type of breather/filter inside!

Navy Blue Metallic

you may have to check the caps and the hose connectors and drain cock. Any of those that are not tight or have Teflon tape might leak when under a load.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport0126 View Post
    Im sorry the catch can is sealed, I meant theres some type of breather/filter inside!

Probably the oil separator. I have seen pics of other catch cans that have a breather (similar to the style you would install in a valve cover) mounted to them. Made no sense to me.

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

Actually, I pulled the pcv hose off the top of the can and plugged them both just to see if the noise went away, and it did. Guess ill just havs to deal with the whistling.

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

how about I just looked on ebay and found a catch can chrome with all of hardware for 20.00, and I paid 95.00 for the one from the ws 6 store which is billet aluminum and looks nice, but so does the one on ebay. It even has a level indicator on the side that I think would be nice to have! Damnit

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The quality of the separator is what matters -- the ebay one probably used cheap metal shavings for its media. I went with an Elite Engineering catch can and it works great.

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

Yeah I just took a look at those, there nice too. Is it absolutely nec. To have some type of filter/separator though? What if it was just an empty can that holds the oil. Why a need for a filter?

Navy Blue Metallic

the filter is what the oil clings to as it and the air pass through the catch can. If the catch can was empty it would continue to pass through. Oil like moisture needs something to attach to in order to separate it from the air when they are to small to form drops.

For example - think of how when you see fog you can see all the moisture in the air however it is suspended, now when that same moisture touches the ground, car, something, it builds up enough to form drops, then making everything wet, thus leaving the air.

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

The oil mist prob would not build up in the can, it would just pass right through and to the intake I guess

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport0126 View Post
    I just installed a catch can I bought from the ws6 store and I ran the hose that comes off the pcv valve directly to the top of the catch can with the breather element, and the bottom fitting on the catch can goes directly to the intake. is that the correct way? I also installed the new design pcv valve, that is pretty much hollowed out with a small hole in the bottom of it, that I believe makes a whistling sound when letting off throttle, and returning to idle. is it okay to run these together? (new design pcv,catch can) does anybody else have the whistling sound? Thanks
    I would think that the bottom would be your inlet, and the top your egress. If the bottom was your egress, it would suck oil that has settled to the bottom, no?

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    I would think that the bottom would be your inlet, and the top your egress. If the bottom was your egress, it would suck oil that has settled to the bottom, no?
    It depends on the design of the catch cans. Most common designs are like such - as the air/oil flows into the the side of the can the air/oil flows around looking for an outlet. To do this it is forced to go through the a separator (most common is like steel wool), at this stage the oil clings to the the "separator material". the oil builds up forming a drop and then falls to the bottom of the can while the air flows out through the top of the catch can and goes to the intake.

Now some ppl have inserted the truck style pcv between the catch can and the intake. there have been many discussions about it's effectiveness both pro/con.

If you keep the LS1 PCV style - I can see that adding the truck pcv after the catch can it would help but.......

If you do the LS6 VCT mod - adding the truck style pcv between the catch can and intake is totally useless IMHO. My reason is because the LS6 VCT moves the pcv underneath the valley cover tray, thus removing it out of the area that oil has a high potential to get mixed up with the air pressure stream that is trying to release crank pressure. When combined with a catch can (and the LS6 VCT) most of the oil has now been removed from the crank pressure by the time it returns to the intake. I won't say all of it is removed but when compared to the OEM setup it is worlds apart.

Hope this clears it up.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I plan on deleting the pcv vavle itself on my 01, and installing the catch can. Why would I still need the pcv valve in stream at all? Negative air pressure would be achieved, and oil would be caught efficiently without the PCV valve, right?

Navy Blue Metallic

Yes you can delete the pcv valve as long as you have a catch can.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Thanks.

Thread Information