Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

silver
    1998 z28 convertable

Paper vs K&N filter

Do K&N filters realy flow that much better? I have a K&N, but I put it and a lid in at the same time so I don't know what caused the hp (about 12) gain. The K&N is a pain in the ass to clean and charge and I was just wondering: Is it worth it?
    Later
    and thanks
    Jay

Silver
    2002 Z28

eh, flows better... but more dirty... oil fucks up maf also

Black
    98 Z-28

An unoiled K&N flows really, really good.....but only use it for Saturday night street fightin'.....or if you don't plan on keeping the car very long.....

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Just leave the filter out all together then.
    A K+N will flow better dirty than a paper one will. I just take it out of the package and run it. I've never driven the 100,00 miles where I'd have to worry about cleaning it so what is supposed to be the big hassle?
    There is supposed to be more fine dust getting past them than paper ones-I haven't noticed any problems myself.
    I bought the Fram Airhog-it is significantly cheaper.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've ran a K&N for 3-4 years with zero issues. Cleaning them is not that big of a deal. My car isn't a daily driver so I can clean it and let it sit for a day or two before re-installing it. I've never had any problems out of mine.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I had a K&N but ditched it when my car started too idle rough and ran like poo, Sticken with the cheap paper filters for now.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

i have K&N in all of my cars. actually i have one for my GSXR that i haven't put in yet. cleaning them takes about 10 min or so. and you don't have to do it all that often. i live in the desert and i've only cleaned my air filter on the camaro once. and that's when i bought it. i still haven't cleaned it on my truck or on my wifes car.

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

I stick with paper and replace it every other oil change. That way, I don't have to worry about damaging a $100+ part (MAF). A clean paper filter will flow nearly the same as a K&N. It's just when they get dirty that the K&N's really start to shine over the papers.

Holley Powershot

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

No No No. And hell no.
    First generation air filter= oil floating in a pan around the carb. ( Yes I used to empty and refill the oil bath in the 58 pick up.) Issues/ bugs/dirt and stuff pretty much blew right by the oil bath and down your single barrel carb
    Second Generation= paper replacable filters. /So so flow.
    Third Generation= oiled cotton/foam performance filters/ Much better flow/less filtration/MAFS get oil on em.
    Fourth Generation= Oil Less synthetic fiber filters. /Super filtration/Much higher flow. No Oil to get on Mafs.
    I have the AEM on the Dodge R/T and the Amsoil on the GTO. They are fricking great. Direct replacement for KN style cone filters or the flat panel either one.
    http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...A2591A0A0.aspx
    https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaau.aspx
    https://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaa.aspx
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Amsoil salesman-and ancient guy at that--jeez!! I have a 63 GMC that had an oil bath type air filter. I kept it in case a museum wants it some day-but replaced the filter with-yes you guessed it-a K+N. 14" diameter job -been working great for about 10 years. Have yet to need to clean it but it doesn't get that many miles on it, less than a 1000 miles a year.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1 View Post
    Amsoil salesman-and ancient guy at that--jeez!! I have a 63 GMC that had an oil bath type air filter. I kept it in case a museum wants it some day-but replaced the filter with-yes you guessed it-a K+N. 14" diameter job -been working great for about 10 years. Have yet to need to clean it but it doesn't get that many miles on it, less than a 1000 miles a year.
    Amsoil Salesman?????!!!!!!!!! Not hardly....Ancient....yup

Quote Originally Posted by SSpdDmon View Post
    I stick with paper and replace it every other oil change. That way, I don't have to worry about damaging a $100+ part (MAF). A clean paper filter will flow nearly the same as a K&N. It's just when they get dirty that the K&N's really start to shine over the papers.
    And thats where it should.

I hear and read a lot of shit about K&Ns, but Ive never had a problem nor have I been annoyed or troubled when it came time to clean and reoil it.

It has come to my speculation that perhaps people are mishandling the air filters and 'caking' on the oil like idiots (?)

I have a Holley PowerShot now. Not cuz I didnt like the K&N, but because I read that the Holley fit better and the filter has wider spaces in between its ridges for better flow. Plus, I wanted Blue this time over PINK.

Black
    98 Z-28

I once watched a clown with a Mustang GT remove his K&N filter and destroy it at a quarter carwash and then stick it back in his car and drive away.

"clown"

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    And thats where it should.

I hear and read a lot of shit about K&Ns, but Ive never had a problem nor have I been annoyed or troubled when it came time to clean and reoil it.

It has come to my speculation that perhaps people are mishandling the air filters and 'caking' on the oil like idiots (?)

I have a Holley PowerShot now. Not cuz I didnt like the K&N, but because I read that the Holley fit better and the filter has wider spaces in between its ridges for better flow. Plus, I wanted Blue this time over PINK.
    Sure they work ....no doubt....and many over oil the shit out of them then wonder what is wrong when their MAF's go crazy.....I changed from Dino oil to synthetic...and have steal belted radials....the air filters are no differnet...it's called progress...I do remember many who stuck with bias ply tires though....said steal belted radials lookd flat and had no sidewall...and yes.....color is very important ...much more than flow or filtration

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Did back to back dyno runs with K&N, Fram paper and no air filter at all. Less than a 2HP difference between any of the three. Also, I had grit get past my K&N, so I chucked it. K&N cone filters = good; K&N flat-panel filters = bad...

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Amsoil Salesman?????!!!!!!!!! Not hardly....Ancient....yup
    I was a teenager when radial tires came out-there was a lot of people who swore they'd never switch over from bias plies. My father went out and bought some of the first on the market, I was amazed at the difference in cornering ability and traction. I realized the first day that there was no going back-but took alot of ribbing about the radials.
    Alot of people have a hard time adjusting to different technology, and others adapt quickly.
    Just joking about the Amsoil stuff-and to some I'm ancient also.
    Wanted to add that the F-body has a big enough airbox that a clean filter of any type will not show a loss of horsepower. There is no power increase from using a K+N type on these cars. But as I've stated I'm using one for other reasons.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I hear ya...I just like dry filters they have now...hell no oiling is a good thing...my kids used to stare as if I had two heads when I told them we had one TV/Black and White/Three stations...and two went off at 10:30 and the other at midnight...and all they had was a picture of an Indian or something on the screen until the news came on the next morning.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Damn.. I remember when I think it was like midnight or so.. they would show an aerial view of an F15 with some patriotic music and then fade to an american flag and say that was the end of the broadcast day or somethihng as such.. and then go to static....
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Thread Information