black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

Paint problems!!!

About a year ago i hit a deer with my 99 trans am. nothin too bad just the front bumper cover one headlight and housing and the left front fender the very tip where it comes to a point where it meets the front bumper cover broke off. the car was black with the color changing flames on it from the top of the front fenders all the way to the back of the rear quarters. the insurance company knew it would be pretty expensive to repaint the flames all the way down the car so they said if i wanted to paint the whole car that i could. so i went back to black with the viper blue met. stripes on the hood and hatch. well about three months later the roof bar between the t-tops and the hatch began to bubble. so i took it back to where it was painted and they blamed it on the original paint that was on the car. at this point i had the car for two years and it had never bubbled before. so they stripped the paint all the way down to the fiberglass, primed it, put an adhesion promoter on then painted and cleared it. it looked good when i got it back but it sat in my garage for three weeks then i drove it to work and it sat in the sun in the parking lot all day and as i was getting in it to leave it had blistered again in what seems to be the same places as before. so now the guy is blaming the roof bar and he wants me to buy and install a new one before he will paint it again which i cant afford to do right now. What should i do?
    thanks for the help and sorry for the long story.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bluonblk99 View Post
    About a year ago i hit a deer with my 99 trans am. nothin too bad just the front bumper cover one headlight and housing and the left front fender the very tip where it comes to a point where it meets the front bumper cover broke off. the car was black with the color changing flames on it from the top of the front fenders all the way to the back of the rear quarters. the insurance company knew it would be pretty expensive to repaint the flames all the way down the car so they said if i wanted to paint the whole car that i could. so i went back to black with the viper blue met. stripes on the hood and hatch. well about three months later the roof bar between the t-tops and the hatch began to bubble. so i took it back to where it was painted and they blamed it on the original paint that was on the car. at this point i had the car for two years and it had never bubbled before. so they stripped the paint all the way down to the fiberglass, primed it, put an adhesion promoter on then painted and cleared it. it looked good when i got it back but it sat in my garage for three weeks then i drove it to work and it sat in the sun in the parking lot all day and as i was getting in it to leave it had blistered again in what seems to be the same places as before. so now the guy is blaming the roof bar and he wants me to buy and install a new one before he will paint it again which i cant afford to do right now. What should i do?
    thanks for the help and sorry for the long story.
    the problem is not the paint. is the adhesive that GM used to put the sail panel piece. It a very common problem that all years have except the 98's. they can re paint it as many times they want but it will continue to bubble. You have to remove the panel which requires you to break it and buy a new panel. the old adhesive has to be removed completely. Its the only way it will stop.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    the problem is not the paint. is the adhesive that GM used to put the sail panel piece. It a very common problem that all years have except the 98's. they can re paint it as many times they want but it will continue to bubble. You have to remove the panel which requires you to break it and buy a new panel. the old adhesive has to be removed completely. Its the only way it will stop.
    GM no longer sells the sail panels. I know you have to look in the aftermarket for them.

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...e6db65f96e4105
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 07-09-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Unfortunately bubbling sail panels will happen to all 99- up like mentioned before. you've just been fortunate to not have it POP up for so long. my garage queen started bubbling even tho it never sat in the sun or got dirty for that matter.

does 6LE sell a replacement panel?

black/viper blue
    99 WS6 M6

well that sucks! so how hard is it to put one back in? Thanks for the help guys. i never would have guessed that was the problem.
    Last edited by bluonblk99; 07-10-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

it's not so hard to install as it is to remove. I have a 98 so I haven't had to deal with it.

Thread Information