ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Pa members help please. Cant weld the cat WTF?

I'm installing a new cat and custom exhaust on my 01 Camaro and someone at my wifes work told her that I can't weld it into position because state inspection wont except it being welded. I'm like WTF? It came with the cat welded on from the factory. Never heard this and I've had quite a few cars inspected in my time. My tuner car has high flow cat welded to it's 3" down pipe, (came that way) and a flange on the intermediate side never had trouble there either. I was just wondering if any Pa. members have heard this. Once again the project has come to a stand still. UGH... Thanx in advance for the help.
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-15-2009 at 12:06 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

I don't recall ever hearing that in my emissions license class or any of the recert nights

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I don't recall ever hearing that in my emissions license class or any of the recert nights
    Thanx man I thought it sounded like BS but as you know Pa. has some f'd up laws. I just want to get the dam thing up and runnin' again. I definetly dont want to use freekin' clamps in that spot on the exhaust.

hugger orange

your golden man, weld it in there. all that matters is that its there, not if its clamped or welded

White
    2008 Hummer H3

sweet thanx guys

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

never hear of that one

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I just spoke to my inspection mechanic -- does not matter how it is installed.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thanks to everyone for the quick answers I never heard that one either. Sounded odd to me. I really wish the people at my wifes work would quit trying to give her car advise. lol I told her I'd hate to see that guy's exhaust probably has thirthy clamps on it. Remind me never to get my cars inspected where he goes. sheez! Again thanks to my fellow Pa members for their responses. It's very much appreciated...

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the quick answers I never heard that one either. Sounded odd to me. I really wish the people at my wifes work would quit trying to give her car advise. lol I told her I'd hate to see that guy's exhaust probably has thirthy clamps on it. Remind me never to get my cars inspected where he goes. sheez! Again thanks to my fellow Pa members for their responses. It's very much appreciated...
    what shop is it btw?

As long as it is in the stock location it is fine.
    Just noticed your from New Kensington., I grew up in Arnold up by the dairy queen. My dad still lives there and has a NBM Ws6. Have to keep an eye out for ya. Sometimes we hang out at his garage on the corner and a few guys stop by with nice rides.
    02 TA A4
    408ci - 244/250/612/622 | PRC 237 heads | FTRA |100mm lid | FAST92/92 | Kooks 1 7/8 | Hooker CB | DMH Cutout | built trans | Yank4000 | 412 motorsports tuned | stock rear:judge:

08 TBSS - Borla CB

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by onyx_rock View Post
    As long as it is in the stock location it is fine.
    Just noticed your from New Kensington., I grew up in Arnold up by the dairy queen. My dad still lives there and has a NBM Ws6. Have to keep an eye out for ya. Sometimes we hang out at his garage on the corner and a few guys stop by with nice rides.
    I grew up in Arnold too. Judgeing from your age I garrentee we went to school together. I lived on Leishman Ave. The Big blue house next to H.D.Berky elementary school. Small World.LOL My car is bone stoke for now but I keep it well maintained if you're in town you'll probably see me. It's the only one like it in town. I'm willing to bet you've seen or heard the tdc around.LOL She's parked for rebuild but not gone....
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-14-2009 at 06:58 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    what shop is it btw?
    I have no clue where that guy goes. I dont know him my wife works with the guy. But he used to tell her my tdc would'nt pass either and here we are 3 years later and it always passed. This year the car is getting over hauled so it's sitting waiting to be finished.
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-14-2009 at 06:54 PM.

hugger orange

I have no clue where that guy goes. I dont know him my wife works with the guy. But he used to tell her my tdc would'nt pass either and here we are 3 years later and it always passed. This year the car is getting over hauled so it's sitting waiting to be finished.
    I passed Md emmissions last year with dual strait pipes off the headers and my rear o2s laying in the center console

black
    02 vette vert

I'm installing a new cat and custom exhaust on my 01 Camaro and someone at my wifes work told her that I can't weld it into position because state inspection wont except it being welded. I'm like WTF? It came with the cat welded on from the factory. Never heard this and I've had quite a few cars inspected in my time. My tuner car has high flow cat welded to it's 3" down pipe, (came that way) and a flange on the intermediate side never had trouble there either. I was just wondering if any Pa. members have heard this. Once again the project has come to a stand still. UGH... Thanx in advance for the help.
    i dont know where this stuff originates but i heard this one a few years ago. you can only weld your exhaust if the original exhaust was welded is how i heard it. i dont know how information like that travels so far for so long.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    i dont know where this stuff originates but i heard this one a few years ago. you can only weld your exhaust if the original exhaust was welded is how i heard it. i dont know how information like that travels so far for so long.
    thousands of little Knomes working over time in the rumor mill

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Well turns out I desided strait pipe. I'm lookin' to tune out the rear 02 aswell. Cause I dont like having the engine light on. LOL Another month or 2 it get's stripped down anyway, and the inspection is good through Nov. For now sticking a custom exhaust on it. I'll need a cat later so I'll just take care it when it's done and goes for its first inspection after the build. But thanx guys, your help was very appreciated and usefull for future ref too.
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-16-2009 at 04:26 AM.

hugger orange

Well turns out I desided strait pipe. I'm lookin' to tune out the rear 02 aswell. Cause I dont like having the engine light on. LOL Another month or 2 it get's stripped down anyway, and the inspection is good through Nov. For now sticking a custom exhaust on it. I'll need a cat later so I'll just take care it when it's done and goes for its first inspection after the build. But thanx guys, your help was still very appreciated and usefull for future ref too.
    when it comes time for inspection and you need to get a cat, Summit has magnaflow hi flow universal cats for $65 each

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    when it comes time for inspection and you need to get a cat, Summit has magnaflow hi flow universal cats for $65 each
    Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-16-2009 at 04:33 AM.

Thread Information