Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

P0507 error code and next steps

Hey guys, I'm getting the P0507 error codes and we found the problem to be a cracked/leaky intake manifold. So it looks like I'm in the market for intake manifolds for replacement. My current setup is a FAST LXS 78MM intake setup with a Thunder Racing throttle body. In your opinion, what is the best intake manifold/throttle body setup currently available on the market today for the LS1 motors? I have a 1999 Camaro Z28 with the 5.7L LS1.

Thanks!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

With stock internals and exhaust (headers) the best bang for buck would be a LS6 intake. You can find them used for about $350-400. Now if you have cam and heads a FAST 90, some seriously flowing heads, cam and a stroker crank then a FAST102.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    With stock internals and exhaust (headers) the best bang for buck would be a LS6 intake. You can find them used for about $350-400. Now if you have cam and heads a FAST 90, some seriously flowing heads, cam and a stroker crank then a FAST102.
    I plan on getting the trick flow 515HP head setup, so would it be better for me to get the FAST 90 now? I also have headers and full SLP off road exhaust on right now. I'm also running the K&N air filter ram air intake, but I was thinking of changing this to the SLP lid intake, is that worth it? Does the SLP lid intake come with new tubing to connect to the throttle body with?

Navy Blue Metallic

SLP Intake , no it is just the lid.

Does that Trickflow head comes with a Cam?

If in the long term it would be best to do a H/C/I (Heads/Cam/Intake) all at the same time. Reason being is because of a tune that will be needed. You can do the intake for now without needing to get a tune right away but at least a mail order tune like from Frost to get some benefit from the FAST 90.

With the LS6 you really can't lose $$ on getting it now and selling later. I got mine for $300 and sold it for $400 3 yrs later. You can also use your throttle body with the LS6, not sure about with the FAST90. May need to add a new throttle body to go with the 90.

Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

SLP Intake , no it is just the lid.

Does that Trickflow head comes with a Cam?

If in the long term it would be best to do a H/C/I (Heads/Cam/Intake) all at the same time. Reason being is because of a tune that will be needed. You can do the intake for now without needing to get a tune right away but at least a mail order tune like from Frost to get some benefit from the FAST 90.

With the LS6 you really can't lose $$ on getting it now and selling later. I got mine for $300 and sold it for $400 3 yrs later. You can also use your throttle body with the LS6, not sure about with the FAST90. May need to add a new throttle body to go with the 90.
    I may look into getting the LS6 for the short term just to solve this issues and get the fast 90 when I'm ready to do the heads like you said. That does sound like the better option. Here is the head combo I'm looking at: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-k306-515-460

Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

I also can't find an LS6 intake out there for sale....does this work just as good and can I use it with my existing Thunder Racing 78MM TB? Weiand 300-111 | Buy Weiand LS1 Aluminum Intake Manifold at JEGS

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by z28man2009 View Post
    I may look into getting the LS6 for the short term just to solve this issues and get the fast 90 when I'm ready to do the heads like you said. That does sound like the better option. Here is the head combo I'm looking at: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-k306-515-460
    That combo will put you with a good tune about 410-420 at the wheels. The cam is a 228 which makes it better than stock but also a nice daily driven with a nice bump in HP.

I also can't find an LS6 intake out there for sale....does this work just as good and can I use it with my existing Thunder Racing 78MM TB? Weiand 300-111 | Buy Weiand LS1 Aluminum Intake Manifold at JEGS
    Is the TB a 3 bolt like the stock one or a 4 bolt? Seeing how Thunder Racing is no longer in business, it's hard to find a pic of one. Funny thing the owner that was the brain trust of TR is the guy that tuned my car. Long story short, he got divorced from his wife, she got the company and he walked out with his experience and knowledge. TR went out of business within 2 yrs. He has a company called EPS (Engine Power Systems). Great guy.

Here is a LS6 for $390.
    Intake Manifold LS6 LS1 New 5 7L 350 w Gaskets | eBay

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Have you been able to find where your crack/leak is? Some of the epoxies out there are so good, that a repair would be just as strong as the original material, and even cost less than the cheapest intake manifold. If you are looking at making major changes in the near future, why not try a good patch job for now, saving up front money and time? The worst that can happen is the patch doesnt work, and you have to buy a manifold, which is where you are at now.

Navy Blue Metallic

I'd like to see a pic of the crack

Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

I'd like to see a pic of the crack
    It's not really visible, we detected it using Carb cleaner and an advanced scanning tool. It's on the left side (I think bank 2) if your looking directly facing the front of the engine.

Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Have you been able to find where your crack/leak is? Some of the epoxies out there are so good, that a repair would be just as strong as the original material, and even cost less than the cheapest intake manifold. If you are looking at making major changes in the near future, why not try a good patch job for now, saving up front money and time? The worst that can happen is the patch doesnt work, and you have to buy a manifold, which is where you are at now.
    I don't mind getting the LS6 for now just so it can pass emissions in the state of Maryland. I may even keep it for awhile, because I'm not sure when I'm going to do the other mods.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

if you pull the FAST 78 off, check the lower shell of the intake, mainly the valley cover bolts to make sure they were swapped out when the 78 was installed. If not people have reported that the factory valley cover bolts will crack the lower (bottom) of the intake manifold. Fast intakes can be disassembled.

This might help:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f52/portin...ns-pics-58941/

As stated, there are ways to fix the issue. Explore that option first before dropping money for an Ls6, unless time constraints are an issue. Sometimes the fixes are easy. Good luck!
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Thread Information