Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

P0430 code

This is a discussion on P0430 code within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; in arizona they only test the exhaust on pre 96 vehicles . anything after that they just plug into and ...

White
    2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4

in arizona they only test the exhaust on pre 96 vehicles . anything after that they just plug into and make sure there isnt any codes and they are pretty strict out here .

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    there isn't any way to really tell over the internet. Possibly if you fix the rest of your running problems, the converter might pass the on board tests.
    I am not that worried right now about passing since I have two years, just would rather not have to worry about it 2 years from now. I know you can't fix it over the internet, just wish there was a way to tell if it was busted (by looking at it) and actually needed replacing or if a tune would work.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    there isn't any way to really tell over the internet. Possibly if you fix the rest of your running problems, the converter might pass the on board tests.
    Thank you, so true.

As you know, it's very hard to daig these things over the internet, without actually seeing/observing the problem. What would be so obvious to us is very hard for a non-mechanic to describe/fix.

Had a car yesterday that even the people up front couldn't figure out what the customer was saying, insisted on me going for a ride w/cust. Turned out to be a simple misfire, coil was bad on a 4 cyl '00 Cirrus. All the customer could relate was that the car was shaking sometimes, couldn't tell us if it was during braking, cruising or whatever.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Thank you, so true.

As you know, it's very hard to daig these things over the internet, without actually seeing/observing the problem. What would be so obvious to us is very hard for a non-mechanic to describe/fix.

Had a car yesterday that even the people up front couldn't figure out what the customer was saying, insisted on me going for a ride w/cust. Turned out to be a simple misfire, coil was bad on a 4 cyl '00 Cirrus. All the customer could relate was that the car was shaking sometimes, couldn't tell us if it was during braking, cruising or whatever.
    Do you think I should just take it to a mechanic to at least see what is wrong? I just hate doing that because I feel like they are screwing me out of my money around here, for example they quoted me $800 to just replace my fuel injector and vacuum line. I did it in an hour in a half. So they were going to charge me $500 in labor for something that shouldn't take that long.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The trick to having a professional mechanic work on your car and you feeling ok with it is to find one you can trust. There are quite a few bad mechanic out there (just like any other profession really) but there are a lot of good one also. If an estimate like that seems way out of line, have them break it down for you. Ask how much for the parts, how much for the diagnosis, how much for the actual repair labor and the shop labor rate (ie $100 per hour). Generally diagnosis is somewhere between 1/2 to 1 hour labor, but sometimes it can be a lot more then that.
    Plus you can always ask here if an estimate seems fair.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The other problem you may run into is finding someone who wants to work on a modified car (ie headers, etc).

Black/ Silver

The one's around here don't mind working on a modified car they just charge way more than it should cost like something that should take an hour they charge you for 5 hours. In some cases not all. I might get a tune after I replace my fuel filter and see if my problems go away. Also may pull my cat and look at it, I know I probably won't be able to tell anything from it but better than not checking. After that if my problems aren't fixed I'll probably take it to a mechanic atleast to diagnose it. Wish I lived by some of you guys on here that are mechanics since I'd trust you guys more than the mechanic I use.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I'd work on your car in a heart beat.

Where in Virginia are you?

Black/ Silver

Burke

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Frost's shop is in VA, down in Richmond.

http://tunedbyfrost.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post
    Frost's shop is in VA, down in Richmond.

http://tunedbyfrost.com/
    HIGHLY recommended!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information