Question P0412 SES - Help me!

OK. Bear with me. This is my first post, but I really need some help and hope I came to the right place.

I have a 98 TA with high flow air lid, flowmaster, 3.73 gears, reflashed computer.

The car is throwing P0412 and P0410 on startup. I've cleared the computer a few times and it continues to trip.

I've replaced both AIR check valves which were rusted through, and replaced the air pump (which was whining a bit louder than usual).

I'm able to blow through the air line so I know there is no blockage there. The AIR pump does run. I've checked both relays and the fuse and they are fine.

So I'm thinking it might be the AIR solenoid but I'm not sure. I also don't have much capability to troubleshoot the electrics and from what I read on the code, it might be in that beast somewhere. Any recommendations?

One thing I have found curious is that if I take the air hose off the AIR pump and attempt to feel any air flow at either the inlet or outlet, I hardly feel anything. Is that normal or should it really be blowing hard during the warm up cycle. I hear the motor run, but just don't feel much coming out.

Please help!

Pewter
    1999 Camaro

try replacing your air flow sensor.. see what happens?
    "BOATS & HOES"

Black
    2001 Ws6

I always get the P0410 code could this be a major issue down the road?

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by byahne View Post

I've replaced both AIR check valves which were rusted through, and replaced the air pump (which was whining a bit louder than usual).

I'm able to blow through the air line so I know there is no blockage there. The AIR pump does run. I've checked both relays and the fuse and they are fine.
    I'm not the most mechanical, but I only know of one AIR pump, and its the one most ppl just do away with on the LS1's to begin with. And even doing away with most of it doesn't throw any codes from my understanding. If it does, send the PCM to someone like Frost and have it tuned out.

http://www.bowlingss.com/Mods/Instal...%20Systems.mht

War Theory: to my understanding and from the research I have done, the code does not degrade engine performance at all. It's an error in the emissions system. The only time you'll have an issue due to this code is if you have mandatory emissions testing in your area.

As LS1Jason said, I did remove the entire secondary air injection system and the EGR. The only problem with doing so, is that the computer WILL generate codes due to removing it because it thinks the circuit failed. You'll need to find someone that can tune out the codes so they are no longer reported. I was lucky enough to find someone within driving distance to tune it out for me.

Black
    2001 Ws6

Thanks for the info how much did removing the secondary air injection system run you?

It didn't run me anything to physically remove the components. I did that myself. It actually wasn't too bad at all. The hardest part is removing the secondary air injection pump. You have to work through a small access panel just in front of the driverside front tire. One of the bolts that holds it on isn't visible so you have to feel your way around to get the socket on it. As for the rest of the system, it was easy to pull off. Just unhook the air tubing, and unbolt from the exhaust manifold. Then you'll need to buy or fabricate some small steel plates to block-off where the air lines ran. If you pull the system off, make sure to remove the corresponding breakers for the air system as well.

The only thing that cost me was getting the codes tuned out of the computer. And I got a good deal on that since I found a guy with a programmer within driving distance. I think I kicked him $40 bucks plus a 6-pack of my home brew beer

Thread Information