Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

P0300 code on 2000 Camaro Z28

This is a discussion on P0300 code on 2000 Camaro Z28 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Fuel pressure was good starting out just below 60. On the 02 sensors are they RF broadcasting? No wires connected ...

several
    from 19013 up to 2002

Fuel pressure was good starting out just below 60. On the 02 sensors are they RF broadcasting? No wires connected to the flat head brass plug. Water type threads I would guess but did not remove them. If they are feeding information to the ECM then they must be doing it by radio frequency transmission? The smoke only goes away when the engine is shut off then it starts up again just after the 3 minute point. I let the car run a good 10 minutes and the smoke filled up the inside of my 5,000 square foot garage with two 24 inch exhaust fans going. Nope so far smoke does not go away. The missing does go away under acceleration but the smoke is still present.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What do you mean by starting out? Did the fuel pressure remain steady at 58psi or thereabouts?
    It's on jackstands.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

can you take a picture of those plugs you're looking at? You can hose the pictures for free at photobucket.com and paste the [img] link here. Yeah....sounds like you have more going on than just condensation. Is this something that just started out of nowhere and are you the original owner of the car?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    can you take a picture of those plugs you're looking at? You can hose the pictures for free at photobucket.com and paste the [img] link here. Yeah....sounds like you have more going on than just condensation. Is this something that just started out of nowhere and are you the original owner of the car?
    He says in his original post, or disertation rather lol, that the engine was steam cleaned and this all started after that was done.

several
    from 19013 up to 2002

As best as I could see the meter from my vantage point it stayed above the '60 mark. Dissertation? Yep I am a bit verbose.
    Last edited by captcorvette; 03-11-2015 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Lousy proof reading.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Your car should have four (4) total oxygen sensors. There are two (2) located before the catalytic converters and two (2) located after the converters. The sensors thread into the exhaust pipe, are a bit larger than a spark plug in size, have a metal body and have 4 wires running to each of them. I was going to post a pic, but Photobucket is acting up right now.

On some cars, the rear (after cat) sensors may have been removed and plugs installed. This is a common modification as the rear O2 senders simply tell the PCM if the converters are working properly. They have nothing to do with fueling and an adjustment in the tune will keep the SES light from coming on after they have been removed. If you can, please post a pic of your exhaust in the areas indicated above.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Do you guys think the IAC may have something to do with this? It sounds like his issue is mostly at idle. I know if it was bad it will make the car stall which is not his case. I had a frined's firebird once that a bad misfire issue and turned out to be a stuck IAC. Not likely but i seen it before.

As far as the O2 sensors I'm waiting for pics too. I have seen other cars run without O2 sensors at all. But it was mostly imports and they had a custom tune.

I have a feeling that there is a sensor that is soaked with water from the steam cleaning since the problem started right after that.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

OP here is a pic of an downstream O2 sensor location. There should be another sensor just like that one on the other side of the catalytic converter towards the engine. That will be the upstream O2 sensor. You might have a plug instead of the sensor in the downstream sensor (the same location as in the picture) if it was eliminated. This is for you to get the idea of what you are looking at.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 03-13-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Exactly - on a stock exhaust setup that is what you should see.

several
    from 19013 up to 2002

Have the photos but from over here I cannot load the photos. Will take more this morning and see if there is some way for me to post the photos but photobucket does not work from here.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There are other free image hosting sites. I think Image Shack is one of them. Once you upload the photos to the hosting site, simply copy and paste the [IMG] code into your reply box on this site. A line of code will appear in the reply box and then the photo should appear after you hit the post button.

several
    from 19013 up to 2002

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    There are other free image hosting sites. I think Image Shack is one of them. Once you upload the photos to the hosting site, simply copy and paste the [IMG] code into your reply box on this site. A line of code will appear in the reply box and then the photo should appear after you hit the post button.
    Ok think I managed to circumnavigate the photo bucket issues. I am a notoriously lousy photographer but here is the effort.

Well that was not successful. It is on photobucket but I cannot copy it to here using any thing I am familiar with. Copy, paste, clipboard etc.. Progress. Did manage to upload one of 49 photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by captcorvette; 03-14-2015 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Learning

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ok - that is your driver side cat. The O2 sender that controls fueling is above it.

In this pic, the stock manifold is obviously the top one - you can see the hole for the O2 sender above the converter.

several
    from 19013 up to 2002

OK great. Thanks. I will look again tomorrow when I open the shop. I even took lousy photos of the scanner readings. Will try to get a bit more proficient with the photobucket and load whatever will help with this problem. Nice headers. Not allowed to put them on cars here without tons of paperwork.IMG_20150314_085651 - Copy.jpg

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That's too bad. These engines love a nice free flowing exhaust setup.

If you can post pics of the scanner shots, that may be very helpful. I would like to see what your upstream sensors are doing. Also, your long and short term fuel trim numbers would be helpful. A properly functioning O2 sender will rapidly cycle up and down from about 100 mV to 800 mV or thereabouts. One that seems sluggish, or is essentially stuck above or below 450 mV is a sign of an issue.

several
    from 19013 up to 2002

More info folks. Have put a few miles on the car. Completely cleaned the fuel system to include dropping the tank, cleaning and then put in new gasoline. The car still gets a check engine light but clears when the car is shut down. Then takes the 3 minutes to return. Car runs as well as it ever ran and the only misfire is at idle. Off idle the miss is not there and all is well. Checked fuel pressure and is good all the way up and down the throttle with very little variation. Smoke (white) is only present at idle. Missing is only present at idle. Have taken a new out of the box coil and changed it in turn with the others. Makes no difference at all.

What can cause this random miss at idle only?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

A vacuum leak, poor connection at a plug or coil pack, worn spark plugs, faulty ignition wires, dirty MAF...

several
    from 19013 up to 2002

Plugs are new. Ignition wires are new. MAF cleaned. Would like to have a schematic of vacuum lines and locations to insure I have checked ALL of them but cannot be sure I know where all of them are located. All connections checked and rechecked several times. Will try again to load a photo or two of the scanner info.. Thanks for staying with this problem.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

you'll need to upload into photobucket and copy the URL to post pics on here.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

When you installed your ignition wires, did you hear/feel two "clicks" at each coil pack?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information