Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

P0131 code = HULK SMASH

This is a discussion on P0131 code = HULK SMASH within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ok finally took a video of the Live Stream Data for you guys. Take a look and let me know ...

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Ok finally took a video of the Live Stream Data for you guys. Take a look and let me know what ya think.

Click for full size 1999 CHEVY CAMARO Z28 M6 LS1 PACESETTER LT 3" ORY TUNED BY FROST

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ok - that is very helpful. You STFT (Short Term Fuel Trim) on Bank 1 (driver side) is maxed out at 25+. That means the PCM thinks that Bank 1 is running lean and it is adding the maximum amount of pulse width to the injectors to try to compensate. The LTFT (Long Term Fuel Trim) is also maxed out for that Bank. The temp is up over 190 degrees and you appear to be in closed loop meaning that the PCM is accepting data from the O2 senders to adjust your fuel trims.

Then I see that your O2S11 (Oxygen Sensor, Bank 1, Sensor 1 - being your upstream O2 sender on the driver side) is showing 0.00 volts which is a dead lean reading. This is why your Bank 1 STFT's and LTFT's are maxed out. You either have a dead O2 sender, a connection issue, or a wiring issue. Were you able to visually inspect the connectors to ensure that none of the pins are bent over? I know you ohmed out the wire runs from the PCM to the pigtail, did you probe for supply voltage and ground?

First thing I recommend is swapping the upstream O2 senders from side-to-side, clearing the codes, and then re-running the scans to see if the problem appears on Bank 2 (passenger side).

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

BTW - I am digging that handheld scanner. What model number is it? It's a step or three up from what I have in my garage and I think I need to upgrade.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Ok - that is very helpful. You STFT (Short Term Fuel Trim) on Bank 1 (driver side) is maxed out at 25+. That means the PCM thinks that Bank 1 is running lean and it is adding the maximum amount of pulse width to the injectors to try to compensate. The LTFT (Long Term Fuel Trim) is also maxed out for that Bank. The temp is up over 190 degrees and you appear to be in closed loop meaning that the PCM is accepting data from the O2 senders to adjust your fuel trims.

Then I see that your O2S11 (Oxygen Sensor, Bank 1, Sensor 1 - being your upstream O2 sender on the driver side) is showing 0.00 volts which is a dead lean reading. This is why your Bank 1 STFT's and LTFT's are maxed out. You either have a dead O2 sender, a connection issue, or a wiring issue. Were you able to visually inspect the connectors to ensure that none of the pins are bent over? I know you ohmed out the wire runs from the PCM to the pigtail, did you probe for supply voltage and ground?

First thing I recommend is swapping the upstream O2 senders from side-to-side, clearing the codes, and then re-running the scans to see if the problem appears on Bank 2 (passenger side).
    Ok. I'll start with swapping these ones since they are new. The pins and connections are great. I ohmed the ground and it read 0.0. And ohmed the power wire as well. Can't remember if I checked the voltage to it. How exactly do I check that again. Having a brain fart right now.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

That would be the CP9580A. Little guy is pretty sweet. Bought it off Amazon when they were running a sale for around $80 I think. Pretty sure it retails over $300. Gets the job done

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Unfortunately, "new parts" do not always equate to "good parts", so swap them side to side, clear the codes and rescan after the SES lights back up. After that, we'll look at testing the power to the senders.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Sorry man haven't had the chance yet to mess with the car. Job has kept me super busy lately. Should be able to get to this week

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Alright finally had some free time to flip flop the O2s around. Here is the new video of whats going on I dont think its the O2. So let me know what the next step is. Thanks in advance

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Bank 1 (driver side) fuel trims are still maxed out and the sender is showing 0.000 volts.

With the O2 sender unplugged, you probed the harness connector and verified that you have 12 volts on Pin D, which is the pink wire, and continuity to ground on Pin C, which is the black wire? You also followed the diagnostic I emailed, including grounding the low signal circuit terminal, reading the sensor's output on your scan tool, and comparing it to the test voltage range? You checked for continuity between Pin A, which is the tan/white wire, and Pin B, which is the purple/white wire, and found none? And you pulled the harness connectors at the PCM and inspected the pins for the O2 senders for corrosion or damage?

If these tests were all performed, and no issues were found, then step 11 of the diagnostic is to replace the PCM.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

That is correct. Performed all of that and found no issues. So you're saying most likely it's the pcm?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That's what the service manual says. If all of the pinpoint tests lead to that conclusion, then replacing the PCM is the next step. Wish to heck you lived nearby, I like challenges and would really like to run the diagnostics on your car. Hate to think that something got missed along the way and you end up having the same issue with a new PCM. A problem like this is usually going to be traced to a wiring or connection issue and not a bad PCM.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Ya would be nice to get another pair of eyes on it. All of it started out of no where and it turned out the wiring harness that runs down to the starter and PS O2 had touched up on the header and melted and short circuited one another. So I'm assuming that it damaged the PCM when that happened. I had the wires redone and it cleared up the issue on that side but they couldn't get the DS to respond correctly. I looked everything over and did all the steps. I seen Frost sells replacements for $105 plus tune. May call him on Monday

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The O2's all share a common power source and ground. Maybe something got missed in the splice?

At least with the fact of the prior wiring issue you have a plausible explanation for why the PCM may actually be the problem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information