GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

Question Oxygen Sensor wire location

I just bought a 2001 Firebird Formula. The previous owner said the check engine light was from a bad o2 sensor he didn't get around to replacing. I found the o2 sensor on the driver's side header and clearly see why he got the code...the four wires on the sensor were cut. My HUGE problem is I can't see anywhere in that area where these wires came from. There are no other wires hanging out anywhere. If someone can please look at their o2 sensor and tell me where the wires go to I would be so thankful. I can only assume the wires got cut when he put on the aftermarket exhaust and probably snipped then instead of taking the sensor off. I have to have the car inspected before I get it registered this week. Thanks again!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You can solder the wires back together and use heatshrinks to insulate where you made the repairs.

GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

I guess my problem is I can't find the other end of the 4 wires...Are they in a loom and if so where does it originate from? I guess tomorrow I can jack it up and see if the harness runs under the motor. I just don't see anything like a wire harness, cut wires or a connection to connect a sensor to...

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Most likely under a loom. You're gonna have to do some tracing.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The front O2 sensors connect to the main engine wire harness down by where the motor mount stands bolt to the K member

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

The engine harness comes off the passenger side wheel house behind strut mount. It might have been pulled up and taped into the harness or cut off at the harness. Look around in the plastic covering the wires and you may find the other cut ends.

GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

Thanks! That will give me a place to start once this crazy weather breaks a little. It was in the teens this morning and we had ice and snow all week. On the good side my work has been shut down for 2 1/2 days and I'm still getting paid!!

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by bostonbruins34 View Post
    Thanks! That will give me a place to start once this crazy weather breaks a little. It was in the teens this morning and we had ice and snow all week. On the good side my work has been shut down for 2 1/2 days and I'm still getting paid!!
    Thats awesome. We have ice and snow here too, but few jobs. And even fewer you get paid time off from.

GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

Found the little buggers...They were tucked up behind the bellhousing of the transmission. I was only able to find them after it was put on a lift...What a PITA.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Found the little buggers...They were tucked up behind the bellhousing of the transmission. I was only able to find them after it was put on a lift...What a PITA.
    sure those aren't for the rear harness? The drivers side front harness drops down right off the k-member just in front of the O2....they're not long enough to be tucked behind the bellhousing.

GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

I guess bellhousing wouldn't be an accurate description now that you mention it. They are tucked in behind the motor mount area. I guess when I was under it I with an inch between my nose and the transmission pan the wires seemed closer to the transmission! LOL! I did find the one for the rear that is over the top of the transmission. I found out that it didn't throw codes for the missing rear O2 sensors until I replaced the front ones. When the guy deleted the cats he deleted one of the O2 sensor bungs completely...

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I guess bellhousing wouldn't be an accurate description now that you mention it. They are tucked in behind the motor mount area. I guess when I was under it I with an inch between my nose and the transmission pan the wires seemed closer to the transmission! LOL! I did find the one for the rear that is over the top of the transmission. I found out that it didn't throw codes for the missing rear O2 sensors until I replaced the front ones. When the guy deleted the cats he deleted one of the O2 sensor bungs completely...
    And since he deleted the cats, the ECM is going nuts trying to read the extra exhaust flow and lack of that O2 sensor. Since that O2 sensor is deleted, a tune would have to be done to get rid of the code.

Thread Information