Owning 2 cars - maintenance question

In March 06, I leased a new corvette but did not want to sell my 2000 SS. I have been keeping my SS in my home garage and only starting it every few weeks to keep the battery from dying. My original intention was to drive the camaro to work once a week but that hasn't happened. At this point, I have about 1.5 years left on the lease and after that I'll probably resume driving the SS again.

I am not sure what additional steps I should take to ensure that my Camaro stays in good condition since it is not being driven often. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

98 Formula
    06 duramax

First off get a battery tender. That'll keep your battery charged for you and they're cheap. If you continue to just start it up make sure to let it get up to operating temps so you burn off all the condensation and things like that. I've heard of people putting their cars up on jack stands when they sit for a long time to protect the tires from being flat spotted. I personally don't do that but during the winter when my car is stored it's typically on jack stands anyhow being worked on.
    Cars really don't like to sit all the time. You should make a point to get out and drive it a little here and there...even if it's just to the store and back. She'll love you a little more for taking her out every now and then.

Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    First off get a battery tender. That'll keep your battery charged for you and they're cheap. If you continue to just start it up make sure to let it get up to operating temps so you burn off all the condensation and things like that. Cars really don't like to sit all the time. You should make a point to get out and drive it a little here and there...even if it's just to the store and back. She'll love you a little more for taking her out every now and then.
    That is a terrific idea. I actually had to jump start her yesterday since she didn't feel like cranking. Women and cars have much in common.

Do you have any recommendations for a good battery tender?

Thanks

Looks like there aren't many brands when it comes to getting one. Found batterytender.com on google.

white
    2002 z28

http://www.batterytender.com/

this is what i use on my bike and soon car, best 29$ i ever spent on my bike

white
    2002 z28

they also have a set up where there is a multiple port hook up like i think 4 or something for anything. bike,boat, car, etc.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    http://www.batterytender.com/

this is what i use on my bike and soon car, best 29$ i ever spent on my bike
    I have already placed my order. I wish I would have known about this a long time ago

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I have never let my car sit that long...but when I let my quad (or the pieces left of it) sit in my shop while I was waiting for my powder coated frame to be sent back to me, wich took a good month. Slow ass people. When I finally started it up like four and half months after it last ran, the fuel either got condensation wich turned to water. Or the fuel just degraded. Because it would not run period on the old fuel. I have seen commercials for additives to add to fuel if you let your cars sit for a while. I don't know, my quad is carbuerated, might not be a problem in a fuel injected vehicle.

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    I have never let my car sit that long...but when I let my quad (or the pieces left of it) sit in my shop while I was waiting for my powder coated frame to be sent back to me, wich took a good month. Slow ass people. When I finally started it up like four and half months after it last ran, the fuel either got condensation wich turned to water. Or the fuel just degraded. Because it would not run period on the old fuel. I have seen commercials for additives to add to fuel if you let your cars sit for a while. I don't know, my quad is carbuerated, might not be a problem in a fuel injected vehicle.
    for my dirt bike every winter i sued this honda fuel stabilizer ( made by stabil) bascailly the same stuff, made for carb or efi.

most likly the reason why the tank condensated was it was 0-1/2 full. when storing you should fill all the way to the cap end.

some say that running the tank completley drk is the best but that first start will be that condensation.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Geezus dude.....drive the GD thing!

Thread Information