Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Overheating problem

This is a discussion on Overheating problem within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Hi-Po Ive thought that from the beginning. Didn't think this was possible. I think this is a ...

NBM
    1998Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Ive thought that from the beginning. Didn't think this was possible.
    I think this is a crock. This would be right up there with telling somebody that 3 in 1 oil will make their disc brakes quit squealing. I would think that much water would stop up the oil filter and fry a motor quicker than of Obama's $4500.00 bail out program cars.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Idk could be like this guy.....
    http://audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80267

I'm at a loss for words to the op though.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Idk could be like this guy.....
    http://audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80267

I'm at a loss for words to the op though.
    That is funny. Can't be real though.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

I've heard that if you think twice about something, you are probably the smartest member of your family. I agree, there was absolutely NO common sense in this decision of adding antifreeze to the oil, and the above web address about the guy adding sand to his car "in the intake" while the car was running makes this cooling issue seem miniscule, nevertheless, it's my hope that Kid's car is salvageable with minimal repair costs. Hopefully the antifreeze being slippery may have not done as much damage as we are thinking. However, if it was a mixture of half water, half antifreeze, the % will go waaaaay down concerning minimal damage sustained to the internals of the engine. I majored in chemistry in college, but don't know what forms when ethylene glycol is added to mineral based oil products....

Red

Hey Kid, I just remembered, RedPhoenix said he knew a guy in SanAntonio who was very knowledgeable on LS1's. Austin is what, 80 miles or about an hour from SanAntonio? Just an option.....you need someone who is an expert and a non UTI student. I'm sure as big as Austin is, there has got to be someone who specializes in LS1's there in Austin. Google it, and see what you come up with. Is it still not running? When you said that it would not even try to turn over, do you mean that it won't even turn over or that it actually turns over, (rotates), but won't fire?

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Well, according to the Kid he's got an LT1 now......

Red

I was under the impression the donor vehicle was an LT1. I may be wrong. Guess Kid needs to clarify what he has and what kind of car the donor car is....If it's an LT1 he added antifreeze to the oil on, he shouldn't be out as much money to get it fixed, should he?

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Autozone...under $20. 10 minutes to change
    I do not understand this answer, the LS1 thermostat is purchased WITH the housing, not as a seperate unit as the LT1.

The least expensive price I have seen for these is $49.99, and some places want close to $60.00.

SteveC

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I do not understand this answer, the LS1 thermostat is purchased WITH the housing, not as a seperate unit as the LT1.

The least expensive price I have seen for these is $49.99, and some places want close to $60.00.

SteveC
    You need to search better I have seen them online for $14.95. This was for the Hypertech 180 Degree Thermostat

The 160 degree thermostats are $40 online.

And yes, that is WITH the housing.

I WAS thinking about the LT1 when I responded though

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    I was under the impression the donor vehicle was an LT1. I may be wrong. Guess Kid needs to clarify what he has and what kind of car the donor car is....If it's an LT1 he added antifreeze to the oil on, he shouldn't be out as much money to get it fixed, should he?

Well, considering if it's an LT1, he'll have to replace the Optispark because the optics are more than likely fried from the coolant as the optical sensor is sensitive to moisture. Plus with a leaking WP I'm sure it's friend. As far as oil in the coolant, his internals are still probably fried but from what he says, it could be just valvetrain.

Red

Wow, optispark....is that the same as the allspark from Transformers?? hahahaha Just kidding. The Kid is probably hosed from getting all the crap from this site that he did. We probably won't see him for a while. I was guilty as well. I just thought that everyone knew that oil and water didn't mix. So many different parts and sensors in these new engines now days, but, if it helps them run better, so be it....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information