Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Overheating problem

This is a discussion on Overheating problem within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by NoscamaroSS If anybodys responsible for fixing your car, then it is your asshat friend who told you ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by NoscamaroSS View Post
    If anybodys responsible for fixing your car, then it is your asshat friend who told you to put antifreeze in your oil! Or maybe you, for listening to your dumbass friend!
    Why don't you tell him how you really feel?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

That shop has nothing to do with your problem. You put ANTI FREEZE in your OIL. Do you understand that this is bad? Dumping your problem on a shop that changed your oil is wrong.

Teal
    2002 Camaro

Well they clearly did something to it, the ticking is insanely loud and they scraped the sealant off of the waterpump, so its leaking again now. And the damn thing still overheats even with the tstat, which they probably installed wrong.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy Kamaro Kid View Post
    Well they clearly did something to it, the ticking is insanely loud and they scraped the sealant off of the waterpump, so its leaking again now. And the damn thing still overheats even with the tstat, which they probably installed wrong.
    I already told you once. If your water pump is leaking, it is not working. If it is not working, it doesn't matter what thermostat you have installed, your car WILL OVERHEAT with a bad water pump.

CHANGE THE WATER PUMP.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

you do understand that mixing coolant with oil and driving like that for a month or so is going to cause catastrophic damage to your engine and it's components, like everyone has said. catastrophic damage is usually accompanied by noises like ticking, knocking, ect and leaks. i'd start craigslisting for a new engine and possibly a new friend.

Teal
    2002 Camaro

If I damaged the engine with the coolant why would it start making noise after the shop did something though? Also, If I change th waterpump can i replace it with one off of a trans am? My dad has a parts car one that may still have it.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

If I damaged the engine with the coolant why would it start making noise after the shop did something though? Also, If I change th waterpump can i replace it with one off of a trans am? My dad has a parts car one that may still have it.
    same reason if your trans or clutch is going and you change the fluid it'll go out almost immediately. it just works that way JK. no seriously, you probably have a failing engine and it's trying to tell you HEY STOP DRIVING ME BECAUSE COOLANT AND OIL ARE A BAD MIXTURE. like i said, catastrophic damage is associated with noises along the drivetrain especially.

and yes, you can swap the water pump with a trans am water pump. as long as it's the same size engine as yours - assuming you have the 5.7, get a 5.7 LS1 water pump

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    you do understand that mixing coolant with oil and driving like that for a month or so is going to cause catastrophic damage to your engine and it's components, like everyone has said. catastrophic damage is usually accompanied by noises like ticking, knocking, ect and leaks. i'd start craigslisting for a new engine and possibly a new friend.
    Do this also.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

k guys, take it easy on the kid. Most guys don't know better and will seek the advice of sometimes the wrong guy. Kamaro Kid, listen to me very carefully. I am a certified Master Tech and I've eben working on these things for awhile like a lot of the guys on this board. When we hear cooland in oil, that bad. Especially 50/50 straight in. As far as the shop goes, from my understanding they changed the oil more than likely and now your engine is ticking. The reason why it is ticking is because the coolant acts as a steam cleaner in your engine so everything has not oil on it. So with a fresh coat of light oil, it's not enough and things will start going bad like bearing lifters and what not. Also your overheating issue does sound like the waterpump even though the shop did scrap the sealer off, they may have replaced it with a factory GM gasket. There's a good chance the bearings are burnt out. But then again because you had coolant in your oil, you had no friction protection in your crankcase which would lead to a major overheating issue. As far as your ticking, is it a ticking (valvetrain) or knocking (bottomend) If it's a ticking, it could be as simple as a stuck lifter or bent pushrods. If it's a knocking you have bad bearings or a bend connecting rod. Either way, take it to a shop for diagnosis. Don't have them repair anything just diagnose. Do your homeowrk and find a reputable shop. From there, you'll know if it can be a simple valve train fix or a new engine.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Krazy Kamaro, RedPhoenix1998 is hitting the nails on the head. When you put antifreeze in your oil, it displaced the oil in your lifters, now when you drained the oil antifreeze mixture, the oil is having a hard time going back into the lifters which could cause ticking. If it sounds like it's coming from right under the valve covers, most likely it is lifters. Looks like you are going to need a rebuild. Any ticking or knocking is not good obviously. Let someone you trust or perhaps your dad trusts to diagnose the problems. Stay away from the UTI friend. Sorry to hear about your dilemma. If it was a garage that did the work for you, chances of them putting a tstat in backwards is very low, unless they are from UTI. Nuff said on that. What size engine does the donor car have? Perhaps the garage you find will take the H2O pump from the donor car and replace it while they are fixing your lifters or bearings or both. You must admit, the reason your car is in the shape it is in, is because you put antifreeze in the oil. Please don't try to blame the garage for your mistake. The resultant clicking or knocking, most likely, is due to your mistake of pouring antifreeze in your oil. Good thing is, you have a new tstat and if the engine is the same size as the donor car, you will have a working H2O pump. Do you know someone who is not attending UTI that is knowledgeable mechanically? I think when you get this DIAGNOSED only, you may want to try another avenue when they tell you the labor charges. I have heard as low as $70/hr up to $150/hr. If I were you, I would start networking to find someone to help you and I would start now.
    Phoenix, what do you charge per hour?

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Me Personally, most shops will charge up in the range from $80 to $120. I personally charge $80 because I'm not in a shop but I have all the tools do tear an LS1 down to nothing, rebuild, and or diagnose so I don't charge that extra profit margin that shops look for. Texas is a pretty good place for high performance LS1 specialty shops. I have a friend down in San Antonio that's real good but that's pretty far from the kid to the best of my knowledge. But research around. If you have some capable LS1 friends, have them check the car. Ask mechanic buddies. A Chevy V8 is a Chevy V8 and very simple because the diagnostic concepts are the same. There are no crazy sensors or solenoids you have to worry about. If you want to do it yourself, do this. Go to the parts store and pick up a cheap automotive stethoscope. Start your engine and probe the valvcovers first. If you hear nothing but ticking there it's the valvetrain. Next probe close to the cylinders preferably right below the headers and listen for a low knocking sounds. The noise should be moving at half the speed the valvetrain would be knocking at. If it is, your short block is hosed and it's time for a donor engine. With the proper tools, you can swap the LS1 in your garage without dropping the suspension. But you need someone to walk you through it or guide you. Kid if you need help, PM me and I'll personally give you my cell number to help you out to diagnose it and give you pointers

Teal
    2002 Camaro

So bad news guys, I got the waterpump off the t/a and went to put it on my car, turns out the trans am was an lt1? I guess the waterpumps are different? I was fairly pissed off after that and wanted to try and diagnose the ticking noise so i started the car up and listened for it. I thought it was coming from the top end like you guys said, so i shut the car off and took off the valve covers to see if anything looked broken. I started it up again and tried to look at all the moving parts, it looked like one of the spring things was broken. I didnt look long because oil was getting everywhere, so i went to shut the car off again but it died as i was walking back. Now the car wont start at all, doesnt even try to turn over. What did i do this time? Should I just get rid of this damn thing?

02 Z28

damn. sorry about your car dude. if anything, you should have went here first and asked. if theres too many different answers then you have to go to a pro.. if mostly or everybody answers are the same then thats whats wrong with your car.. but here, any questions are answered as far as i know...

white
    01 formula

after coolant in the oil, he ends up with a broken valve spring as his problem??? This ls1 disaster has been brought to you by the wonderfull students of UTI.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

I'm beginning to think this is a leg pulling.

white
    01 formula

this problem is easily fixed by experience with cars once you mess up one really expensive car you tend not to do it to another.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    I'm beginning to think this is a leg pulling.
    Ive thought that from the beginning. Didn't think this was possible.

nbm
    99 z28

sounds a lil like bs. or maybe the friend that told him to put coolant in the crankcase is no friend. if the story is true, I hope everthing works out good for the op.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Ive thought that from the beginning. Didn't think this was possible.
    It just seems to insanely crazy for it to be true.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

I would only hope and pray that this is just BS. But from KKK(KrazyKamaroKid), it sounds like he really did add antifreeze to his oil. If he ONLY got a broken valvespring because of this, he should consider himself lucky. Tstat and waterpump are bolt-on fixes, but internal engine work is costly and requires downtime to fix. Sue UTI.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information