turquoise
    1995 Firebird

over heating problem

for the last couple days ive had some over heating problems, somedays it would be good then other days it would run pretty hot, when i first bought the car it would run just under the 210* mark, but a couple times its been between the 210* and the 260* mark, couple buddys said the thermostat i just wanna make sure so if i have to take the car to the mechanic, ill get everything done not pay for 1thing then something else be the problem, then pay for that...

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

Quote Originally Posted by 95Fyrebyrd View Post
    for the last couple days ive had some over heating problems, somedays it would be good then other days it would run pretty hot, when i first bought the car it would run just under the 210* mark, but a couple times its been between the 210* and the 260* mark, couple buddys said the thermostat i just wanna make sure so if i have to take the car to the mechanic, ill get everything done not pay for 1thing then something else be the problem, then pay for that...
    check your radiator cap...mine was leaking there and running hotter on some days..

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Could be the thermostat, also pressure check the rad. cap. Are your fans coming on? May also need a flush, After a while the coolant gets gummy and doesnt cool as well.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

turquoise
    1995 Firebird

well, i was gonna replace it tomorrow but its pose to rain and be cold all weekend, *love how its 60* thursday and friday now raning all weekend* i just took the car to the mechanic and he is gonna replace the thermostat and flush out the radiator and top it off, a guy there mentioned to run the fans on a toggle switch so i can turn them on at all times.it sounds good but something told me that its not a great idea.

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Also have them clean out between the radiator and a/c coil with water or air. Mine had a bunch of crap caught up in there causing it to overheat.

White
    98 Trans AM

A 95 may be different as my 98 has two fan motors....but I had a similar thing happen and all looked fine except all of a sudden running hotter. Upon closer inspection the actual fan blade assembly had come loose as the bolt had come off. Thank God the bolt was still down in the nose of the car but upon re bolting to the fan motor the problem was fixed.

All the above that others mentioned are good to check but this is one that really never occured to me. Could also be one of the fan motors has just gone bad and needs to be replaced.

Good luck man!
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

turquoise
    1995 Firebird

i got the car back yesterday and i drove it around the needle never hit 210* it would prolly get to about 190* then it would go down so im asumed the fans kicked on, but about this guy told me about running the fans to a toggle switch so i can keep them on at all times, is that a good idea or should i just leave it alone.

Thread Information