• 5w/ 30

129 43.58%
  • 10w/30

129 43.58%
  • other please add

21 7.09%
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920 ... LastLast

which oil weight do you use

This is a discussion on which oil weight do you use within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Sam-SS Done deal......that is the way that I will go. I have an order going in tomorrow. ...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-SS View Post
    Done deal......that is the way that I will go. I have an order going in tomorrow. BTW, that was another good tip to join their club. Well worth it.

FYI, I am passing your information along to other friends
    who need it and they are most appreciative.

...>>Sam
    I think the Amsoil Preferred Customer is the deal of the century.
    We'll we work on cutting through the marketing BS and get to the facts. I read many forums across the INTERNET and so many just regurgitate marketing bullshit. "Mobil1 is best and used by more NASCAR Teams so it is the best oil"....man I got a puke bucket next to my computer here in the study

Red
    '99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Lopey cam huh?
    I'd have to go Amsoil for film stregth.
    Yup, a bit lopey. I am on my third tuner and driveability is finally getting better.

Which of the Amsdol products should I use. The Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF seems to be the only one that mentions being a replacement for DEXTRON III. Is that the one that you suggest?

...>>Sam
    Last edited by Sam-SS; 10-22-2007 at 05:23 AM. Reason: afterthought.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-SS View Post
    Yup, a bit lopey. I am on my third tuner and driveability is finally getting better.

Which of the Amsdol products should I use. The Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF seems to be the only one that mentions being a replacement for DEXTRON III. Is that the one that you suggest?

...>>Sam
    Yes... https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

Red
    '99 Camaro SS

Hay Sarge - Get this, my local Amsdol Distributor says
    that I should use AFL 5w-40 European Motor Oil in the
    M6. He referenced the Amsdol web page where you put in the year, manufacturer, model etc and it lists out all of the recommended products for the car. I checked it and found my man was right, that is what web page says. I was aghasted! Does that make any since? Surely motor oil is not a replacement for DEXTRON III, is it?

...>>Sam

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I almost opened that door with you....here is the deal.....many T56 guys are using 5-20 motor oil....I dunno about the 5-40 European....but I do know folks utilizing 5-20 Amsoil/Mobil1 in their T56 trannies.....My problem with using a motor oil in the trannie is simple....add packs for two totally different environments and applications....that would worry the shit out of me....and what is the OCI cycle for using motor oil in a T56? Screw being a Guinea pig with my trannies I'd really worry about foaming and oxidation.....

Red
    '99 Camaro SS

Another report back from my Amsdol Destributor

Hay Sarge - I just got more back from my Amsdol Distributor on the transmission oil. They now have discovered that the AFL European engine oil listing for an M6 is wrong. They are changing the recommendation on the web page. What they are recommending to me now is a product called ATD Torque Drive. This is apparently a heavy duty oil and they say that they are recommending it to me because of the horsepower and other symptoms
    that I have described. It is a replacement for DEXTRON.
    Here are the specs for ATD, copied from the web page but they do not mean much to me. I am sure that at a
    glance you will know if that is what I should try and maybe you could put it into plain language for me.

PHYSICAL DATA
    AMSOIL Torque-Drive™ Synthetic Transmission Fluid (ATD)
    &
    Castrol/Allison Transynd® Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
    Physical Data
    Torque-Drive™ TranSynd®
    Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
    7.41 7.36
    Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
    37.14 37.29
    Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C (cP)
    8411 8400
    Density @ 60°F (lb/gal)
    7.038 7.047
    Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)
    230 (446) 232 (450)
    Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 97)
    -55 (-67) -55 (-67)
    Four Ball Wear Test
    (ASTM D-4172B: 40 kg, 75°C, 1200 rpm, 1 hr) mm
    0.45 0.45
    Copper Corrosion (150°C, 3 hr)
    1B 1B
    Spectrographic Analysis

Boron (ppm)
    133 136
    Calcium (ppm)
    28 29
    Phosphorous (ppm)
    230 235

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well lets look at what those dudes are selling you...based on the Kinematic chart that 7.41 @100c is a weight engine oil (no big surprise from me 5-40 my ass) or in the gear lube world a 75W at operating temps....
    Looking at the broad spectrum this stuff is equivalent to a 75-140 gear oil...
    Calcium, Phosphorus and Boron is what they use for detergents, dispersant's, extreme-pressure additives.
    They are selling you a 75-140 gear lube with a decent add pack.
    The ATF I was recommending is right there with this stuff...just a tad thinner....
    with a 6.6 @100c with basically the same add pack....
    Don't lose sight of the fact Amsoil doesn't give a shit about performance....they are focused on the ultimate protection for your gears...( a good thing)...what you and I have to do is sacrifice a "tad" of protection for performance...and most often that comes from lower viscosities.....but the difference between the two lubes being discussed here is minuscule at best.....Cost is about the same.....so....they are making a good recommendation giving your "klunking"....but I'll call this a toss up and leave it up to you man....At the end of the day this stuff is basically a slightly stronger add pack and a slightly heavier viscosity for big trucks to go 50,000 miles without changing....versus 25K-30K with the Universal ATF....

NBM
    2000 Trans Am

Sarge I was wondering what your opinion is on Castrol Syntec? Is it up to its hype? Or is it falling short like most seem to believe?

Also how do you feel about the trend of people thinking K&N is a good "bursting" filter and what are they meaning exactly by this? I'd like a firm answer on this as I hear so many diffrent ways, its rediculous. Worth the money? IMO I don't think so, but I'd like your opinion.

Also have you had a chance to try out Motor Trend's new Oil Filters? Whats your opinion on their quality build compared to the others? (pressed).

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
    Sarge I was wondering what your opinion is on Castrol Syntec? Is it up to its hype? Or is it falling short like most seem to believe?

Also how do you feel about the trend of people thinking K&N is a good "bursting" filter and what are they meaning exactly by this? I'd like a firm answer on this as I hear so many diffrent ways, its rediculous. Worth the money? IMO I don't think so, but I'd like your opinion.

Also have you had a chance to try out Motor Trend's new Oil Filters? Whats your opinion on their quality build compared to the others? (pressed).
    Well
    Castrol is "good" oil. Some go all drippy pants over the 0-30 German made stuff that is hard as hell to find and frankly doesn't return any better than Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil1. Sorta a "fad" IMHO. I like Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Synpower better than Castrol Synthetic frankly.

On your oil filter question....bursting is when the pressure builds in the canister due a restriction of some type in the flow of oil or a faulty relief valve failing to close. Obviously catastrophic. But also due a malfunction. Many filter manufacturers publish the cans bursting rate....I know of Fram filters exploding at WOT due pressure and their POS cardboard/glued relief valves failing.....but haven't personally seen any other brand explode. I'd run AC Delco or NAPA Golds myself. Cannot justify the additional cost for a KN with superior filtration or flow so why spend the money?

Motor Trend filters are Fram Tough Guards. With a pretty label glued on. Not a bad filter. At least they have steel center tube and steel end caps....but way overpriced.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Just read through the thread... (I've only visited LS1.com a few times in the last few months--for probably only 10 minutes total while I was, uh, ... on "vacation") I sure missed a bunch of interesting discussion.

But Sarge, I must call you out on something. I'm an internet mechanic and I've read and produced many performance tests on the Turbonator. I've seen many videos of installations and performance tests for Turbonator hot rod conversions. I've even seen and touched a Turbonator. So, obviously, I'm an expert and you should trust me. A Turbonator will turn any car into an super hot rod! Some have even resulted in 500 HP gains! These things are the best performance mod ever! So there! I proved you wrong about the Turbonator!

And another thing. A mechanic told me that Fram is the best filter ever! And my uncle's next-door neighbor's cousin's sister told me that she once dated a mechanic who said the same thing. So that confirms that Fram is the best! You are wrong again!

Seriously, as usual, Sarge has done a supreme job in providing an abundance of valuable knowledge and information.

Although I've not met you in person, it is obvious that you are a down-to-earth, for-real, no BS, no huge ego kinda guy. And I suppose that "Sarge" is just an humble disguise; that you really are a General.
    Last edited by GatorSS; 10-28-2007 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Remove an extra word...should have proofread before posting.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Question about Lucas: Why such drastic differences in the "worthiness" of their products?

Like many others, I use the Lucas UCL/Fuel Treatment, and have for several years. I've experienced excellent results with it. On the other hand, I've seen some unfavorable results from Lucas oil treatment use by persons I know, in addition to reading enough negative reports from trustworthy sources. I've not tried it because it seemed to thick for my needs (so I sought out info from those who've actually used it before I would consider it).

So, roughly summarizing:

Lucas UCL/fuel treatment = excellent, outstanding results
    Lucas oil treatment = unfavorable (or at least very questionable) results

Why such variance?

If I were an owner or in a management position with such a company, I would want to change the oil treatment formulation to be consistent with the excellent results of the fuel treatment.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Lucas....well you have to understand who is buying their oil treatment and for what. The average Joe Blow is leaking oil or burning a quart every 500 miles because his rings are shot or his valves are gone. So the rocket scientist behind the counter tells him Lucas is the balls and it stopped the oil burning in my Mom's next door neighbors 69 Rambler. Bet your ass it did. Shit thickened up her oil to a 60weight. So folks buy that shit and of course a 60 weight doesn't burn like a 30 weight did.....who cares the car's engine is now doing the slow dance of death....Lucas saved the day! Now folks hear these stories and believe the marketing shit and run out and put Lucas Oil Treatment in a perfectly fine motor. Watch those wear metals go through the roof.....but we all know better dont we guys
    As for the Lucas UCL...I use a gallon every two months. That stuff is the bomb. And it was developed by a guy in Florida who died and his widow sold the formula to Lucas. It works very well.
    Well I'd love to sit and chat but I got to go clean my Turbonator....I tested it on my dog. Stuck it up his ass. You should have seen the performance! Much improved versus the dog with nothing stuck up his ass. I believe.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Here is the virgin analysis of Lucas Oil Treatment....absolutely worthless and no value to anybody other than a thickener...in a BIG WAY. Look at the viscosity!!!
    Lucas Virgin
    TBN - 0.1
    Visc - 615.3
    FP - 435
    Calcium - 3
    Magnesium - 1
    Phosphorus - 4
    Zinc - 2

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

... As for the Lucas UCL...I use a gallon every two months. That stuff is the bomb. And it was developed by a guy in Florida who died and his widow sold the formula to Lucas. It works very well.
    Well, that explains it. The great Lucas UCL is not really a Lucas product, just has the Lucas name on the label. The Lucas-developed formulas are crap wrapped with slick marketing.

White
    2001 Z28

I learned my Lucas lesson the hard way. I may be lucky my water pump failed. I only had the Lucas in three days, and my wear metals were going up. If I had left it in another 1000 miles, it could have been ugly.
    Thanks Sarge! I have learned my lesson.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am

Another question to -Sarge.

I was wondering, if I had the chance to get free U76 Synthetic 5w30/10w30, do you think its worth it? How does this underrated (in my opionion) fluid test out?

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

so how about castrol 5w-30 full synthetic

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
    Another question to -Sarge.

I was wondering, if I had the chance to get free U76 Synthetic 5w30/10w30, do you think its worth it? How does this underrated (in my opionion) fluid test out?
    What API rating is on the bottle and I'll tell you.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by '00T/A View Post
    so how about castrol 5w-30 full synthetic
    I'll cut and paste from a few post up....
    Castrol is "good" oil. Some go all drippy pants over the 0-30 German made stuff that is hard as hell to find and frankly doesn't return any better than Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil1. Sorta a "fad" IMHO. I like Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Synpower better than Castrol Synthetic frankly.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am

What API rating is on the bottle and I'll tell you.
    I'll check tonight, its Union 76/connoco phillips oil.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread Information