• 5w/ 30

129 43.58%
  • 10w/30

129 43.58%
  • other please add

21 7.09%
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819 ... LastLast

which oil weight do you use

This is a discussion on which oil weight do you use within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by {FzS}BlacKMagicK I'm a little confused then, cause your copper levels are pretty high, especially for 848 miles. ...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by {FzS}BlacKMagicK View Post
    I'm a little confused then, cause your copper levels are pretty high, especially for 848 miles. Does Rx contain high levels of copper? Might be a reason for the noted color change when using Rx too.

Fuel 1.73? You stompin on it?
    LOL...No big ass copper oil cooler will throw off that copper like a big dog though Yeah...we run NGKTR6's and really could run a lil hotter...and yes I stomp on it....big ass cam doesnt help any....I am settled in on 500 mile OCI's.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    I had to change my oil pan gasket at 1350 miles, so I did not sample that OC. I ran the car another 5000 miles and changed. Thus it indicates 6350 between samples, but not OC.
    The silicon may be from the Pan Gasket change, I am really guessing here. I have never seen high silicon levels before or since.
    After the water pump failure, I put my car in the shop for a H/C upgrade. It has taken a month to get the heads ported. I will get it back next week. I plan to run PP 5/30 for 2000 miles, sample and change to PP 10-30 for 5000 mile intervals.
    Lucas Oil Stabilizer will never see the inside of my motor again.
    The only Mobil 1 sample listed was 12/01/06. Since I have been reading Sarge's posts I have been running PP 10-30. I added the Lucas because of hot summer air temperatures....big mistake.
    I will post my next results with PP 10W-30. I will not run any additives.
    I've never used any Lucas products but my brother in law uses the fuel additive religiously and their grease. So I have no familiarity with their products other than that.

I am curious as to why you've sworn it off though, this stabilizer, what does it claim to do?
    Was one of the things it was supposed to do is increase viscosity or no?
    Last edited by {FzS}BlacKMagicK; 10-20-2007 at 01:29 AM.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    LOL...No big ass copper oil cooler will throw off that copper like a big dog though Yeah...we run NGKTR6's and really could run a lil hotter...and yes I stomp on it....big ass cam doesnt help any....I am settled in on 500 mile OCI's.
    Oh your running a copper cooler, was wondering why you didn't seem to be bothered by it...makes sense now.

Your going to change your oil every 500? No wonder your stocked up.
    Real curious as to why though. Is this something you would recommend to everyone or do you think the more radical your engine, the sooner changes should be?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by {FzS}BlacKMagicK View Post
    Oh your running a copper cooler, was wondering why you didn't seem to be bothered by it...makes sense now.

Your going to change your oil every 500? No wonder your stocked up.
    Real curious as to why though. Is this something you would recommend to everyone or do you think the more radical your engine, the sooner changes should be?
    No its the motor requires that kind of OCI. I would never recommend a 500 mile OCI for a slightly modified motor or a stocker....they would never be able to justify it....this thing is a full out race engine....not just a bolt on motor

White
    2001 Z28

Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer

Lucas makes two versions of this product. One synthetic and one conventional. They are viscosity improvers.
    The synthetic claims to "Stabilizes oil pressure for better performance in todays electronically controlled gasoline and diesel engines."
    Sarge can tell you a lot more about this product than I can. All I can tell you is that my results show my oil far thicker than I want it. I put this product in my oil three days before my water pump failed. I was experimenting with an extended change interval, and I was concerned about losing oil pressure in the late summer 100F+ temperatures.
    Lesson learned.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

No its the motor requires that kind of OCI. I would never recommend a 500 mile OCI for a slightly modified motor or a stocker....they would never be able to justify it....this thing is a full out race engine....not just a bolt on motor
    I just ordered the testing kit from Blackstone, current oil is PP 10-30w with an Amsoil synthetic filter. May be a while before I have to change it, as I don't put many miles on her daily and I'll be running it for 2500 miles before testing. See what ya started Sarge...lol

I'm going to be paying attention to oil filters used and of course oil, like you've stated, they will change their formulations without warning, best to keep and eye out. I also believe this is probably the single best way to tell of potential upcoming problems which otherwise may have gone unnoticed.

This particular OC is going to be running without magnets, curious to see if there is a difference with, especially of course in ferrous metals.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    Lucas makes two versions of this product. One synthetic and one conventional. They are viscosity improvers.
    The synthetic claims to "Stabilizes oil pressure for better performance in todays electronically controlled gasoline and diesel engines."
    Sarge can tell you a lot more about this product than I can. All I can tell you is that my results show my oil far thicker than I want it. I put this product in my oil three days before my water pump failed. I was experimenting with an extended change interval, and I was concerned about losing oil pressure in the late summer 100F+ temperatures.
    Lesson learned.
    If your racking up miles at the average or above average rate I would just shorten the OCI in the hotter months so as not to have to worry about viscosity breakdown. I'm keeping my OCI fairly short because I don't do much highway driving, all inner city type driving with a lot of stop and go and not for long distances either which is rough on oil.

Then again, I wonder about the neccessity in your case as all of your viscosity results were within range averaging 5,000 miles.

White
    2001 Z28

Sarge has got us all sampling. If this thread keeps going I will post my results here. Sarge is right: Lab results beat internet bullshit any day.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

If enough of us start testing then there should just be a Sticky to post up your labs, I can't think of a better way to stay on top of it.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yup...I'll make a sticky and we all post up lab work. That cuts through the bullshit real quick. Good job guys....

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Yup...I'll make a sticky and we all post up lab work. That cuts through the bullshit real quick. Good job guys....
    Great!!!

White
    2001 Z28

Absolutely!!!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Look above.

Red
    '99 Camaro SS

What about oil for M6 transmissions?

Hay Sarge, We have touched on many different oils in this thread but I have seen nothing on the M6. I have RP in mine and it tends to be somewhat noisy, letting out a slap sound sometimes when shifting or when the engine bucks a bit due to the cam and I have the RPM a bit too low. The owners manual calls for DEXTRON III. Is there anything else that I should look at?

...>>Sam

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Lord I have tore up some T56 guts You know Sam....they seem to perform differently...so much depends on the drivers "style"....I see Royal Purple do well for just regular street driving and the ocassional run through the gears....but develops problems quickly when multiple "abuses" occur....I think it is because RP shears fairly quickly when subjected to multiple loads.....Hard driving seems to be supported better with Amsoil and RedLine in the mixer....just an observation....I have absolutely no scientific data to back my observations up. I will tell you the old boy that rebuilds a boatload of em... Joe Huneycutt out of Houston....seems to use the Torco stuff alot.....but the average fella running some serious street muscle seem to have good luck with the Amsoill and the RedLine....

Red
    '99 Camaro SS

Lord I have tore up some T56 guts You know Sam....they seem to perform differently...so much depends on the drivers "style"....I see Royal Purple do well for just regular street driving and the ocassional run through the gears....but develops problems quickly when multiple "abuses" occur....I think it is because RP shears fairly quickly when subjected to multiple loads.....Hard driving seems to be supported better with Amsoil and RedLine in the mixer....just an observation....I have absolutely no scientific data to back my observations up. I will tell you the old boy that rebuilds a boatload of em... Joe Huneycutt out of Houston....seems to use the Torco stuff alot.....but the average fella running some serious street muscle seem to have good luck with the Amsoill and the RedLine....
    Do you have any opinion as to which of these might be
    quieter in terms of slap when the car bucks?

Red
    '99 Camaro SS

Hay Sarge - If I could ask one more question on the twin 502 crate motors, then I will be done with that. I have decided to go with Amsdol oil & filters but am unsure which oil would best in the marine application. These are stock, roller cam and all the good stuff. Has an oil cooler and fresh water cooling (temp at 160 degrees). There is only about 75 hours on the motors. They are usually run at about 3400 RPM cruise with an infrequent bonzai run to 5400 RPM. The three choices that I have found are:

AME SAE 15w-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine
    AMO SAE 10w-40 Synthetic High Performance Motor Oil
    ATM SAE 10w-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

What would be your pick for this application?

...>>Sam
    Last edited by Sam-SS; 10-21-2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Correct misspelled word

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-SS View Post
    Do you have any opinion as to which of these might be
    quieter in terms of slap when the car bucks?
    Lopey cam huh?
    I'd have to go Amsoil for film stregth.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-SS View Post
    Hay Sarge - If I could ask one more question on the twin 502 crate motors, then I will be done with that. I have decided to go with Amsdol oil & filters but am unsure which oil would best in the marine application. These are stock, roller cam and all the good stuff. Has an oil cooler and fresh water cooling (temp at 160 degrees). There is only about 75 hours on the motors. They are usually run at about 3400 RPM cruise with an infrequent bonzai run to 5400 RPM. The three choices that I have found are:

AME SAE 15w-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine
    AMO SAE 10w-40 Synthetic High Performance Motor Oil
    ATM SAE 10w-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

What would be your pick for this application?

...>>Sam
    Door number one for the TBN. Hands down.

Red
    '99 Camaro SS

Lopey cam huh?
    I'd have to go Amsoil for film stregth.
    Done deal......that is the way that I will go. I have an order going in tomorrow. BTW, that was another good tip to join their club. Well worth it.

FYI, I am passing your information along to other friends
    who need it and they are most appreciative.

...>>Sam

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread Information