• 5w/ 30

129 43.58%
  • 10w/30

129 43.58%
  • other please add

21 7.09%
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718 ... LastLast

which oil weight do you use

This is a discussion on which oil weight do you use within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Sarge And also notice I ran the PP twice as long as the Royal Purple....300% decline in ...

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    And also notice I ran the PP twice as long as the Royal Purple....300% decline in piston wear...100% decline in ring wear.....now those are real factual data backed up in your face lab certified numbers folks....still wanna run Royal Purple in your motor guys?
    Not to mention...the RP was 10-40!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by roblelp View Post
    With all this oil talk it has me alittle confused. I run Royal Purple in one car and Pennzoil in the other. I don't want to disbute what one says about the product they use. It's all nice the post an excel chart for us but where did the numbers come from? Where is a link to the data in the chart? I know people who work the Texas Department of Corrections, and for other states. None of which has oil analyst in their jos description.
    LOL......the numbers come from Blackstone labs and Terry Dyson.....they look like this friend...
    And by the way I applaud you to challenge...I do the same thing Sorta cuts out the INTERNET bullshit.....I can and do back up all my numbers with Lab reports....I just put em in a spreadsheet to make it easier for a quick comparison versus scrolling up and down to compare wear metals....but if challenged I produce the actual report from the labs.....no biggie....just a convenience for the guys is all....
    As for the Texas Prison System.....LOL...Now that is funny.....FYI....I'm not SRV either

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

No it isnt. When it come right down to it you ignore the marketing bullshit and go to the labs for the real number.

white
    2002 z28

lol

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Rookies
    Gee wilikers...the gays on Two Guys Garage that got paid a boatload of money sez Royal Purple is the bulls balls....so I'm gonna pay $6 bucks a quart and get the same wear numbers as Castrol GTX for $1.99.....cuz them two fellars are smart as hell and are on TV and everything!

Navy Blue
    2000 SS

Rookies
    Gee wilikers...the gays on Two Guys Garage that got paid a boatload of money sez Royal Purple is the bulls balls....so I'm gonna pay $6 bucks a quart and get the same wear numbers as Castrol GTX for $1.99.....cuz them two fellars are smart as hell and are on TV and everything!

Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 08:10:00 -0500
    To: "Robert" <roblelp@yahoo.com>
    From: "Blackstone Laboratories" <bstone@blackstone-labs.com>
    Subject: Re: BSL Question
    Robert: Thanks for the e-mail. We see good results from both oils,
    so you should not have any problem with either, especially after only
    3,000 miles of use. I don't know that Pennzoil Platinum is the best
    oil to use, though it appears to do a good job when we see samples of
    it. Let me know if you have any more questions, or need any sample
    kit.

Sincerely,
    Ryan Stark
    Blackstone Labs

At 10:35 PM 10/11/2007, you wrote:

>Name = Robert
    >Address = xxx xxxx xxxxx
    >City = Killeen
    >State = TX
    >Zip = 76543
    >Country = USA
    >Phone = xxxxxxxxxx
    >Email = roblelp@yahoo.com
    >HearAboutUs = Other
    >Comments = Ok I like to hear from you about the oil I use in my 2000
    >SS Camaro with the LS1. I been in a big debate over oil. I am being
    >told that Royal Purple, which is what I use is very poor oil to put
    >in any engine. I change the oil out at every 3000 miles even thou I
    >heard it is good for up to 6000 miles. I am being told that Pennzoil
    >Platinum is by far the best oil that one can put in any motor. In
    >you expert opinion which of the two oils is the best and why?
    >
    > Thank You, Robert

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Lets not miss the point here, Pennzoil is $19 for 5 quarts and protects as good or better than the expensive stuff. For the money alone Pennzoil is the winner, not because Sarge says but because the data and price confirm it.

Navy Blue
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    Lets not miss the point here, Pennzoil is $19 for 5 quarts and protects as good or better than the expensive stuff. For the money alone Pennzoil is the winner, not because Sarge says but because the data and price confirm it.
    As Blackstone Laboratories states they see good results from both Royal Purple and Pennzoil Platinum. They mentioned nothing about Royal Purple being a bad oil or not recommending it. Like I said before it’s a personal preference on which oil you use.

This is all good information and good discussion.

By the way Sarge where in Texas are you?

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

That is why I only spend $19 now because It has been proven that it is as good, so the debate is why would anybody pay premium prices for the same results? I like having extra money without sacrifices. Sarge is always showing the "value" compared to the expensive oils when recommending PP or any of the regular oils with good numbers.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by roblelp View Post
    As Blackstone Laboratories states they see good results from both Royal Purple and Pennzoil Platinum. They mentioned nothing about Royal Purple being a bad oil or not recommending it. Like I said before itís a personal preference on which oil you use.

This is all good information and good discussion.

By the way Sarge where in Texas are you?
    I agree RP is "good" oil. But I'll go further and state RP is showing a lot of shearing....and doesn't handle fuel dilution worth a shit. So of course Blackstone isn't going to ever get into the business of saying one oil is better than the other. They will provide you the data and you make your own decision based on the data and the price of the product. They would get their ass sued. Now Terry Dyson don't give a shit and is a private consultant and he will tell you PP kicks the living shit out of RP. And has many times on public forums. I will tell you PP kicks the living shit out of RP based on my own UOA's and Dyson analysis and many many other UOA's posted on BITOG. Go compare. So I really don't put any value on Blackstone saying anything about any oil....I do value their data though
    And if PP and RP were the same cost I'd still pick PP based on the data and the deliverables. But seeing how PP is cheaper and many of the franchise Auto Parts stores run buy one get one free or $1.99 a quart...it is impossible to even compare the two. PP kicks that ass and delivers the goods. Hell Blackstone told you that themselves in a veiled way. They said PP does a good job in the samples they see. Hell yes...that is about all they can say
    My ranch is 30 miles north of San Antonio.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Now if price doesnt mean anything to you...I can out you into some $10 per quart stuff that kicks PP/RP/Amsoil/Red Line etc. ass!
    This stuff is unequaled in wear metals and withstanding severe duty...expensive as hell...but damn this stuff just "perfect".....
    http://www.renewablelube.com/product...W30%20PCMO.pdf

white
    2002 z28

RP people ... ( any salesman) will never tell you that a other brand is better ,that there not offereing is better. that note sounded like a tipical salesman in action saying that both are good.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

No not really....Blackstone will not endorse nor slam any oil. Hell you can ask them if Wolfshead is good oil and they are gonna tell you it's OK.

White
    2001 Z28

My results with PP 10W30

[ATTACH]14937
    These are my results with PP 10-30. Compare them with the first data listed running Mobil 1.
    My last results include 1 Quart of Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer. Note the very high viscosity. Sarge warned us about this stuff....should have listened.
    Last edited by lonewolf37; 09-29-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Chromium at 0 is your ring wear. Outstanding. Iron/Copper are bearings and they dropped like a rock compared to Mobil1. I guess you now see what I mean about Lucas Oil Stabilizer huh? Get that shit out of there. All it does is thicken the oil and that in itself is not a good thing for the top end/piston wear. I bet you see continued drop in metal wear.....what filter are you running?

White
    2001 Z28

I am running a Bosch. Thanks for the info about this oil. The results just keep getting better. Until I read your posts I was a Mobil 1 user. Now I see the light, and I will swear off the Lucas Oil Stabilizer.
    Once again: Thankyou! This knowledge makes a difference.
    PS Pennzoil Platinum is still on a rebate special at Kragens. $.99 aquart for the first six qts until 25 Nov.
    Last edited by lonewolf37; 10-18-2007 at 06:08 PM.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    [ATTACH]14937
    These are my results with PP 10-30. Compare them with the first data listed running Mobil 1.
    My last results include 1 Quart of Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer. Note the very high viscosity. Sarge warned us about this stuff....should have listened.
    If I'm reading your lab results wrong let me know but...seems to me your best results to date were on 07/09/07 oddly you actually went 6,350 miles on that oil and yet they listed it as 5,000, also odd is it's your best result despite the length.

Before you throw the baby out with the bath water, consider that that high viscosity may have helped you since you had a water pump failure...maybe the significant indicators would have been even worse without it as very high heat will lower viscosity significantly.

The oil changed on 07/09/07 was M1? If so were there any enhancers in it?
    Either way, it's strange that OC was so good, with the miles you had on it.
    I note the silicon was high, any chance you did a lot of highway driving on that particular OC? or drive it in a dusty area?

Do you have straight up PP 10-30w in her now, if so, I'd be very interested in seeing your next Blackstone lab result.
    Last edited by {FzS}BlacKMagicK; 10-19-2007 at 01:00 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Not really....copper dropped and the Lucas skews the iron and aluminum numbers....when you run a viscosity out of range for your clearances you do not lube well in high pressure areas....and wear metals go up.....film thickness is too much and doesnt reach tighter areas under load....I hate that Lucas shit...I do use Lucas UCL in the gas though....just the oil stabilizer is nothing morte than a thickening agent...go look at the VOA of that garbage....nothing in it but thick base oil....

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Yes you do.....
    Click for full size
    I'm a little confused then, cause your copper levels are pretty high, especially for 848 miles. Does Rx contain high levels of copper? Might be a reason for the noted color change when using Rx too.

Fuel 1.73? You stompin on it?

White
    2001 Z28

I had to change my oil pan gasket at 1350 miles, so I did not sample that OC. I ran the car another 5000 miles and changed. Thus it indicates 6350 between samples, but not OC.
    The silicon may be from the Pan Gasket change, I am really guessing here. I have never seen high silicon levels before or since.
    After the water pump failure, I put my car in the shop for a H/C upgrade. It has taken a month to get the heads ported. I will get it back next week. I plan to run PP 5/30 for 2000 miles, sample and change to PP 10-30 for 5000 mile intervals.
    Lucas Oil Stabilizer will never see the inside of my motor again.
    The only Mobil 1 sample listed was 12/01/06. Since I have been reading Sarge's posts I have been running PP 10-30. I added the Lucas because of hot summer air temperatures....big mistake.
    I will post my next results with PP 10W-30. I will not run any additives.
    Last edited by lonewolf37; 10-19-2007 at 02:44 PM.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information