• 5w/ 30

129 43.58%
  • 10w/30

129 43.58%
  • other please add

21 7.09%
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516 ... LastLast

which oil weight do you use

This is a discussion on which oil weight do you use within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by tigersport14 err... whats full synthetic... would anyone recommend it? im a noob AMSOIL, but almost every other ...

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by tigersport14 View Post
    err... whats full synthetic... would anyone recommend it? im a noob
    AMSOIL, but almost every other is not a true full syn. no matter what the label or commercial says.

white
    2002 z28

still think im changing to PP
    http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...tez28/1027.jpg

nx is like heroin, can do it for many years with no problem and used right! , but when its ready to go your done

NBM
    98 trans am

i think i want royal purple full syn...

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

15/50 causes less of it to burn off.. only have to replace a quart every 800-1000 miles that way. 10/30 I'm lucky to get 500 miles before having to add a quart.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
    15/50 causes less of it to burn off.. only have to replace a quart every 800-1000 miles that way. 10/30 I'm lucky to get 500 miles before having to add a quart.
    And if you put Aunt Jemimah Pancake Syrup in there it will not burn any. I struggle with the rational that I'll burn up my motor but it wont use any of the rear end 75-90 weight oil I put in there mentality.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by tigersport14 View Post
    i think i want royal purple full syn...
    No you dont.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    AMSOIL, but almost every other is not a true full syn. no matter what the label or commercial says.
    Not all Amsoil is 100% PAO either. XL line is a blend GRPIII. Nothing wrong with it....just a fact.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    I don't know what my PCV valve is, but its most likely good. I look over my car all the time and I see no leaks and hear no funny sounds. It doesn't smoke, smell funny, or anything else. Seems to be normal. Drives strong and sounds great. I do get on it every now and then but definitely not everywhere I go.
    Your PCV Valve wont make any noises or smoke. Just causes the motor to burn oil. Sticking out of your valve cover is a hose connected to a lil white plastic "thinggy." That is your PCV valve. Cost a couple of bucks. Replace it.

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

Yo Sarge

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    And if you put Aunt Jemimah Pancake Syrup in there it will not burn any. I struggle with the rational that I'll burn up my motor but it wont use any of the rear end 75-90 weight oil I put in there mentality.

hey Sarge, you said in another thread to follow the directions for Auto R/X to a T. I read them and have a question. It says to add one 12 Fl.Oz. bottle when you change your oil for the clean phase. So does that mean add the recommended 5.5Qts of oil and then the 12 Oz of Auto R/x? Is that too much liquid? Or do I add 5.5Qts oil minus 12 oz.'s then the 12 oz. of Auto R/x so that the total amount of liquid i added is 5.5Qts?

does that make sense? if not, my bad.

Red
    2002 TransAm

I heard many years ago about Penzoil being really bad, but that was in the early 80's and was probably already a leftover rumor. If it was bad, I'm sure they've corrected the problem after 20+ more years of R&D.

Although, I curently use Mobile 1 5w30.

Here's a question: OIL PRESSURE. Mine gauge stays about 2/3's up when fully warm and driving down the highway with this Mobile 1. I have only 33,000 miles. (It had 27,000 when I bought it.) Is this a normal reading for a low mileage LS1?

-Kurt

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by transAMchubby View Post

hey Sarge, you said in another thread to follow the directions for Auto R/X to a T. I read them and have a question. It says to add one 12 Fl.Oz. bottle when you change your oil for the clean phase. So does that mean add the recommended 5.5Qts of oil and then the 12 Oz of Auto R/x? Is that too much liquid? Or do I add 5.5Qts oil minus 12 oz.'s then the 12 oz. of Auto R/x so that the total amount of liquid i added is 5.5Qts?

does that make sense? if not, my bad.
    You think your sump is so accurate it makes a difference of 12oz"s? Nope.
    Hell all cars have a +/- of damn near a quart anyway. I pour in the first quart...then add the AUTO RX then add the other 4.5 quarts. Your good man.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroKurt View Post
    I heard many years ago about Penzoil being really bad, but that was in the early 80's and was probably already a leftover rumor. If it was bad, I'm sure they've corrected the problem after 20+ more years of R&D.

Although, I curently use Mobile 1 5w30.

Here's a question: OIL PRESSURE. Mine gauge stays about 2/3's up when fully warm and driving down the highway with this Mobile 1. I have only 33,000 miles. (It had 27,000 when I bought it.) Is this a normal reading for a low mileage LS1?

-Kurt
    Oil Pressure is affected by a few things. Oil viscosity/temps/oil filter....I didnt know Mobile started making oil....I thought they were a little town in Alabama....now Mobil1 5-30 is a really thin 30 weight....so you'll probably have higher OP than with a thicker 30 weight. Never confuse pressure with flow. And yes your OK with that kind of pressure ( normal) and yes I'm fucking with you about the Mobile thing

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Shut Up!

Red
    '99 Camaro SS

Sarge - I am not understanding the Amsoil Signature Series 0w30. Is that ok to use where you would normally use 10w30 oil? This would be for use year round in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Can you clear this up for me? The car is my modified LS1 Camaro SS (404 RWH).
    Thanks much.

...>>Sam

Red
    '99 Camaro SS

Sarge - With regards to the manufacturers and oil companies, they all seem to specify a 1 year rule for oil changes. Would this be necessary in a very low mileage application, say 5k a year. This would be using full synthetic top quality oil and filter. What would be the consequences of extending this to say 2 years or 10k miles which is well within the extended mileage recommendations for this type of oil?
    Last edited by Sam-SS; 10-06-2007 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Added an afterthought.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

yer pecker will fall off!!!!!!

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

just a thought

I propose this thread be re-titled "Ask Sarge"

Red
    '99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by transAMchubby View Post
    I propose this thread be re-titled "Ask Sarge"

That is not a bad idea. Why don't you take that for action and start a new thread by that title? Might wanna check with Sarge to see if he is agreeable.

...>>Sam

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    ooh! that's a good idea, I might have to try that one... Plus you get the bonus of smelling like maple driving down the road! mmm....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-SS View Post
    Sarge - I am not understanding the Amsoil Signature Series 0w30. Is that ok to use where you would normally use 10w30 oil? This would be for use year round in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Can you clear this up for me? The car is my modified LS1 Camaro SS (404 RWH).
    Thanks much.

...>>Sam
    Bet your ass. Its more than OK. Never forget guys and X-30 is still a 30 weight at operating temps. For "regular off the shelf oil" I still recommend 10-30 Pennzoil.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information