Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

oil pressure question

This is a discussion on oil pressure question within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; alright, cool.. how do i get that checked out to make sure its right? just take it to a mechanic?...

Burgandy
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

alright, cool.. how do i get that checked out to make sure its right? just take it to a mechanic?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I personally wouldnt even worry about it. I would only be concerned if it was extremely low pressure. What weight oil did you put in your car? If its higher then 5-30 then that can make the pressure go up.

Burgandy
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

the car was serviced by the dealership just before i bought it so i am unsure on the oil weight. Since i bought i have only put not even 2000 miles on the car. I am going to take it in here soon. Any recommendations on the oil weight or anything like that, that i should be using?

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by 02TransSD View Post
    the car was serviced by the dealership just before i bought it so i am unsure on the oil weight. Since i bought i have only put not even 2000 miles on the car. I am going to take it in here soon. Any recommendations on the oil weight or anything like that, that i should be using?
    i use 5w30, my oil pressure is always around 20 at idle and goes up to 40 when accel...just throwin that info in there

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

If you live in a very hot area like Florida I would go with 10w-30. 5w-30 if you live anywhere else. My car has 70,000 miles idles at 40psi and goes to 50-55psi while driving. But just to ease your mind-even 80 oil pressure would be find. I wouldnt worry one bit. Dont lose any sleep over it man. Youre fine.

Burgandy
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Well i live in Socal, So we get out hot spurts but in my part of town i still get the cool ocean breeze ever so often so usually hardly ever over 90-95..thanks for the input and help guys

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

my 02 T/A is usually running around the 60-80 range on a majority of my driving. Even when i am able to keep it at 65. I keep getting afraid that im running to high of a pressure for when i am just crusin
    just make sure its not overfilled with oil.
    or using to heavy of an oil.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Yea could be overfilled or too heavy oil used by mistake if you are taking it to get the oil changed. Those guys fuck up thats for sure. They forgot to put oil in my sisters car when they did a oil change-its sad but true.

Burgandy
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    Yea could be overfilled or too heavy oil used by mistake if you are taking it to get the oil changed. Those guys fuck up thats for sure. They forgot to put oil in my sisters car when they did a oil change-its sad but true.
    how?? lol. i cant picture someone being so dumb at their job that they can forget to put oil in a car while doing and oil change...

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

how?? lol. i cant picture someone being so dumb at their job that they can forget to put oil in a car while doing and oil change...
    Chit happens, thats all I can think.
    I hope they fixed the car after the engine blew? how did that story work out?

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

This just started the like 2 days ago, this only happens when the car has been driven for more than a hour but when its been running for a while it stays just above 40psi and then moves from like 41 to 45 and then back down again it just keeps moving a little. Only at idle when drving its moves like normal but at idle it moves slightly about 4-5psi. Anyone know why this is i heard it could be low oil and it picking it up but the oil is fine about 6-6.5 quarts still.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    This just started the like 2 days ago, this only happens when the car has been driven for more than a hour but when its been running for a while it stays just above 40psi and then moves from like 41 to 45 and then back down again it just keeps moving a little. Only at idle when drving its moves like normal but at idle it moves slightly about 4-5psi. Anyone know why this is i heard it could be low oil and it picking it up but the oil is fine about 6-6.5 quarts still.
    I would try to put in a new oil pressure sending unit. Alot cheaper and smarter then just assuming the oil pump is bad. The sending unit is located way in the back of the engine/drivers side/on top. Part is 30-40 bucks I believe. I had the same problem as you and this fixed it.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by b.lee View Post
    Chit happens, thats all I can think.
    I hope they fixed the car after the engine blew? how did that story work out?
    Okay what happened was the jiffey lube guy put a quart or 2 of engine cleaner in the car and forgot to drain it and put fresh oil in the car. So the car ran for about 26 days on a few quart of engine cleaner. When my dad checked my sisters oil - there was none. My dad put oil in it and the car has run perfect ever since. I dont understand it. The car is a 1998 Mercury Gran Marquis 4.6 V8. I still dont understand how it didnt blow. My dad says he always put synthetic oil in her car. My dad was in the hospital so my sister took it to a oil change place for the first time and this happened. The oil change place went out of business soon after this happened.

* you have to be a dumb MF not to put oil back in a car when changing oil.

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

true that. lol.
    00 Z28 M6 T-tops
    00 SS A4 T-tops (Sold)
    99 Corvette M6 (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 Coupe (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 T-tops (Sold)

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans AM

I would personally buy a cheap $15.00 Oil Pressure gauge to check the levels. It might not even be the sender.. Worst case scenario your main bearings are destroyed.. But a lot of LS1's are known for their oil pumps to go out.. Causing extensive damage if not destroying it. So.. If you want to play it safe... Check it out.. Replace the sender if it's the case.. (usually if it's the sender your oil gauge will be erratic). If it's the pump.. Which in my TA I've already replaced the pump for insecurity issues.. Get it taken care of, or you will regret it. I'd recommend the SLP oil pump.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

^ I had the sending unit go bad in my car and it read just like it would read normally except very low pressure. It would read 20psi when it was cold and 10psi when it got hot. I put a new one in and it reads 60 psi cold and 50 psi hot.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information