Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

oil pressure problem

This is a discussion on oil pressure problem within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by cammed goat I use Purolator. I even open the box and look down the filter opening before ...

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I use Purolator. I even open the box and look down the filter opening before I buy to see if there is a black plastic cage inside. If I see a black plastic cage, the filter goes back on the shelf.
    Yep, Purolator is who makes the Motorcrafts for Ford, same thing. Good filters.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE AGAIN TILL YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVE debris in the oil.

Hear my tale and heed warning.......

I over rev mine NOV 2012 and bounced off the rev limiter twice on a burn out. Thought I was ok, next morning went on an errand and it got worse. Thought at first it was a bent push rod or stuck lifter because my oil pressure read normal. Pulled the heads and found #4 intake valve had floated. Replaced the lifters & push rods anyways. Got it back together and and did a couple of test drive, on the second test drive it just let go.

I limped it back home. Few weeks later pulled the motor and began tear down. It turned into a horror show.

In the end #3,6,7,8 rod bearings spun, #3, 4, 5 main bearings spun. Destroyed the crank, #7 & 8 pistons cracked on the underside of the piston and cracked the block internally.

SO WHEN WE SAY DO NOT RUN IT this is why.

If you click on my 6liter build link in my signature you can see all.
    That probably started out as one or maybe 2 bearings, but as you kept driving and diagnosing the issue, it turns into ALOT of bearings as you found out It will pass trash in a big hurry and just ruin everything.
    And generally all the heat produced from those spun bearings does horrific things to the block and crank (cracking!!!) in a very short amount of time. So it just snow balls and keeps getting more expensive.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

that's is why I used my tale as a warning.

Yeah I figured,

That's why I mentioned driving it would just further damage things and make the repair even more costly in one of my last posts, it turns into a mess if indeed he has a bearing that went south.

Navy Blue Metallic

I'm hoping it's just a bad o ring on the oil pick up tube.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I'm hoping it's just a bad o ring on the oil pick up tube.
    Yeah, I sure hope that's it. I don't remember reading any mention of the engine making noise yet. So he might get lucky.

black
    1998 trans am convertible

I'M HOPING ITS JUST THE FILTER! Still no noise or lost of power but can't complain if i need to rebuild. anybody know of a reliable shop in the fort myers area? Is it better to rebuilt or replace the engine? Would local chevy dealer be the best choice because of their experience with this engine? also i have about 1600 miles on the car since problem started. shouldn't i have noticed[heard] something by now?
    Last edited by DADCRUISER; 02-21-2014 at 07:55 AM. Reason: additional info

I guess there's always hope, but I've run a whole bunch of different filters over the years and I've never had one make a bit of difference on oil pressure. So I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

As far as rebuilding, if you are lucky enough to only need a slight hone you can rebuild. Unfortunately these LS1 engines are only good for about .005" over before liners have to be replaced, and that's just too expensive to warrant the effort. My feeling is that with your mileage at nearly 250,000 miles, a simple .005" won't clean those cylinders up since most I've seen are already egg shaped at 80-100,000 miles. Always pays to check it with a bore gauge though before you turn it into a door stop, just in case.

My guess is you'll be looking for an engine in crate form of some kind, or something else suitable for a rebuild.

black
    1998 trans am convertible

Checked oil filter,no shavings. Replaced with napa gold and went to 10-30w synthetic. Also had them change the opsu since it was almost 2 yrs old. Cold oil pressure 60,idle hot 28-30,under speed 38-40. Glad problem is solved thanks to everyone for your help. Hope to get another 50k of topdown cruising in!

Navy Blue Metallic

glad you fixed it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information