Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Oil Pressure Dropped to 0

This is a discussion on Oil Pressure Dropped to 0 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I just want to make sure I'm right on this....if I buy this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...1248_109988_0_ I can cut the trap door, ...

  1. #21
    Member LgndKller20073's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denver,CO
    Age
    28
    Posts
    455

    Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

    I just want to make sure I'm right on this....if I buy this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...1248_109988_0_

    I can cut the trap door, pull out the old pump and directly replace it with the new one? I don't have to tinker with anything or solder and put stuff back together? I'm trying to make this as easy as possible.

  2. #22
    Member 00ls-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Kilgore Texas
    Age
    32
    Posts
    378

    Silver
    2000 z28

    if youre worried about the gas smell you could have it welded back or put some kind of epoxy epoxy not recommended but itll work. i know of people doing the trap door with no problems at all

  3. #23
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Quote Originally Posted by LgndKller20073 View Post
    I can cut the trap door, pull out the old pump and directly replace it with the new one? I don't have to tinker with anything or solder and put stuff back together? I'm trying to make this as easy as possible.
    yes its a direct plug in swap.

  4. #24
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    I did mine because of the metal tank and it work out great. I didn't even used screws, I just used RTV black silicone as a gasket and l haven't smell any fuel.

  5. #25
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    You can also get an autobody seam sealer from NAPA and most any auto paint supply store.

  6. #26
    Member silverz28camaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Washington MO
    Age
    31
    Posts
    796

    sebring silver
    2000 z28

    Get a racetronix pump, $200

  7. #27
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    I love it when the factory puts in trap doors to replace the fuel pump. A lot more import cars do than domestic. I will do it that way if/when my pump dies. In the meantime I don't let it go much lower than 1/4 tank and I change my fuel filter every 30k.

  8. #28
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    While we are on the topic... what is the recommended replacement fuel pump for a stock engine? Off the shelf GM or something aftermarket? Same question for a modified engine? Racetronix?

  9. #29
    Member LgndKller20073's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denver,CO
    Age
    28
    Posts
    455

    Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

    I think I will go ahead and try the trap door then. Hopefully I can get my car started from Midas and drive it the mile to my parent's house without it dying on me.

  10. #30
    Member LgndKller20073's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denver,CO
    Age
    28
    Posts
    455

    Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

    What do I need to remove the carpet from the hatch area? I remember I couldn't dynomat that area because I couldn't figure out how to remove those little triangular things?

  11. #31
    Member 00ls-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Kilgore Texas
    Age
    32
    Posts
    378

    Silver
    2000 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by LgndKller20073 View Post
    What do I need to remove the carpet from the hatch area? I remember I couldn't dynomat that area because I couldn't figure out how to remove those little triangular things?
    the hooks? mine was a torx socket

  12. #32
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    While we are on the topic... what is the recommended replacement fuel pump for a stock engine? Off the shelf GM or something aftermarket? Same question for a modified engine? Racetronix?
    If it died on me, I'd probably get one from Car Quest, or maybe an AC Delco store.

    I've seen a lot of people recommend the Racetronix for modded engines.

  13. #33
    Member LgndKller20073's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denver,CO
    Age
    28
    Posts
    455

    Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

    I had to have my car towed home from Midas but I went ahead and installed it. Plus, Midas didn't even charge me for the diagnostic test! So I basically got it stored there for 2 days and the problem diagnosed for free. Everything works perfect again. No smell of gas yet even after filling up, but I'm going to wait a few days to continue to check for leaks or anything before I seal it up completely. Took about 4 hours total to dremmel, remove, replace, then Dynamat the rest of that area. Not too bad. Here's some pics:

    Old fuel pump:


    Old fuel pump taken out:


    New fuel pump in:


    Close up of the new pump:


    Hatch area with Dynamat:
    Last edited by LgndKller20073; 07-26-2010 at 12:05 PM.

  14. #34
    Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    897

    Red
    1999 Trans Am

    Well done, that looks pretty pro!

  15. #35
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Nice work. Now you can say, "I just saved a bunch of money..." doing it yourself.

  16. #36
    Member LgndKller20073's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denver,CO
    Age
    28
    Posts
    455

    Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Nice work. Now you can say, "I just saved a bunch of money..." doing it yourself.
    Yeah, I can say that....now my brakes are grinding like crazy so I need to replace those and the rotors and I need new tires. $1500 for all that though isn't bad. It's better than $1500 for just the fuel pump!

  17. #37
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by LgndKller20073 View Post
    I had to have my car towed home from Midas but I went ahead and installed it. Plus, Midas didn't even charge me for the diagnostic test! So I basically got it stored there for 2 days and the problem diagnosed for free. Everything works perfect again. No smell of gas yet even after filling up, but I'm going to wait a few days to continue to check for leaks or anything before I seal it up completely. Took about 4 hours total to dremmel, remove, replace, then Dynamat the rest of that area. Not too bad. Here's some pics:

    Old fuel pump:
    Click for full size

    Old fuel pump taken out:
    Click for full size

    New fuel pump in:
    Click for full size

    Close up of the new pump:
    Click for full size

    Hatch area with Dynamat:
    Click for full size
    So how did you secure the piece you took off? How is the hole covered?

  18. #38
    Member LgndKller20073's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Denver,CO
    Age
    28
    Posts
    455

    Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    So how did you secure the piece you took off? How is the hole covered?
    It's actually not yet. I've been checking for leaks from the O-ring for the last few days and making sure there weren't any before I cover it. But I'm thinking I'll use some sheet metal and caulk to put it on there.

  19. #39
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Took me about 3 hours start to finish dropping my tank no cutting.. Just sayin'
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  20. #40
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Took me about 3 hours start to finish dropping my tank no cutting.. Just sayin'

    Other than the exhaust and heat shielding, what else has to come out to remove the tank? Is the panhard brace in the way?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. SS value has dropped?
    By totalkos in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11-08-2008, 07:42 PM
  2. She is dropped...
    By Mr. Luos in forum Rocky Mountain Members
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-15-2006, 11:48 PM
  3. It's been a while since I've dropped in. :)
    By NewZ in forum Eastern Members
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 06:53 AM
  4. Looking for gauges! nitrous pressure, fuel pressure!
    By texasss in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2005, 10:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •