Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Oil pan level sensor (broken wires)

I broke the wires to the connector, I was wondering if I should buy a new connector and splice the old wires to it, or maybe block it off all together?

Where do those wires go anyways? If I were to buy a new connector, would it provide me with all the wiring to replace the whole wire or would I splice it together etc?

Pic for reference...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

how far away from the connector did they broke? If you have enough wire you can use some splice connector and tape it good. Make sure the wires match the color. If you don't have enough wire you can try to a new plug that comes with about 6" of wire and splice the wires with connectors.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Broke em right at the connector. Sheered em right off when I was removing the starter.

Hopefully I can still see the colors, it's a bit dirty down there. Maybe get a connector from rock auto and give it a go.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Broke em right at the connector. Sheered em right off when I was removing the starter.

Hopefully I can still see the colors, it's a bit dirty down there. Maybe get a connector from rock auto and give it a go.
    that will be the best way

dark blue metallic
    2002 camaro z28

i just swapped engines and deleted mine and got ridiculed on another ls web site all it is is alow level indicator light . i laced my wires back to the fender where the pcm is and but spliced the wires to shut the dash light off. i check my oil often anyway. plus monitor my oil presure from dash. hopefully someone on this website agrees that a gauge is better than a dummy light. there are no parameters on the helms manual data.i went as far as using a milk jug of oil and putting the sensor in the lid and testing the ohms of resistance and it was direct continuity in oil . so i spliced the wires and went on with my bad self... hope this helps with your decision.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by oldmano2z View Post
    i just swapped engines and deleted mine and got ridiculed on another ls web site all it is is alow level indicator light . i laced my wires back to the fender where the pcm is and but spliced the wires to shut the dash light off. i check my oil often anyway. plus monitor my oil presure from dash. hopefully someone on this website agrees that a gauge is better than a dummy light. there are no parameters on the helms manual data.i went as far as using a milk jug of oil and putting the sensor in the lid and testing the ohms of resistance and it was direct continuity in oil . so i spliced the wires and went on with my bad self... hope this helps with your decision.
    well im glad that worked out for you. I think is an easy inexpensive fix to replace the plug. but thats me.

On the other side I believe that the cluster is built that if any off the gauges are off the normal limits it will throw the "check gauge" light. So you still have some kind of warning if you are not looking at the gauge all the time which is not possible.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I was actually considering plugging the hole. I always have an eye on pressure and check my fluids often.

Did you say you spliced the two wires together?

dark blue metallic
    2002 camaro z28

yes just spliced the two wires and used an oil pan plug in the hole i forgot tne size . the reason i did this is i cant get my starter out because of the sensor and i cant get the sensor out because of my headers so during my swap i deleted it . good point jta98 on the check gauge. needto find schematic of that somewhere that would be great to know very wise synopsis on your part!!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

yes just spliced the two wires and used an oil pan plug in the hole i forgot tne size . the reason i did this is i cant get my starter out because of the sensor and i cant get the sensor out because of my headers so during my swap i deleted it . good point jta98 on the check gauge. needto find schematic of that somewhere that would be great to know very wise synopsis on your part!!
    ah, I see you have headers and can't get the starter out without clearance issues.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

im almost positive on this because when my OPSU was broke in half i unplug it and the light came on.

dark blue metallic
    2002 camaro z28

good morning!! what makes this morning so good? NO BIN LADIN!!! jay i'll look in helms @ opsu diagram to see anything and report my findings on this thread

Thread Information