Results 1 to 10 of 10

Oil Pan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

This is a discussion on Oil Pan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; does any one know the easiest way to change the oil pan or know of some good instructions...

  1. #1
    Member victor111262's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    oklahoma city
    Posts
    179

    White
    2001 Z28

    Question Oil Pan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

    does any one know the easiest way to change the oil pan or know of some good instructions

  2. #2
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Imho if it's anything like the 3800 f-body oil pan it's going to suck.. Engine has to be raised some suspension parts need unbolted etc,etc.. Access to a lift would be helpfull..

    Here you go..

    Oil Pan removel and install:
    A: drain pan..

    1) Remove the drive plate inspection cover.
    2) Remove oil level sensor and dipstick.
    3) 2000 and later models remove mounting bolts on the right shock absorber.
    4) Support engine with engine boom/hoist..
    5) Raise the engine slightly to take tension off the engine mount through bolts and remove.
    6) Raise engine.
    6)a: Becarefull of top clearances when raising engine..
    7) 2000 and later models, it will be necessary to lower the front crossmember slightly.
    8) Disconnect stearing shaft from the rack.
    9) Remove the 2 right crossmember to frame bolts.
    10) loosen the left crossmember to frame bolts. (not removed)
    11) Remove oil pan bolts.
    12) Tap the pan with soft dead blow..

    Reverse to reinstall..
    Yeah it will be fun..
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-17-2010 at 04:25 AM.

  3. #3
    Member jb3golf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Zona
    Posts
    600

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

    OK... first of all, you DON'T NEED an engine hoist to change the oil pan. That's a complete waist of space, time and money in my opinion. I changed out my rod bolts and everything else earlier this year on my rebuild and didn't need a hoist....in fact I did all the work alone. SO............look up the install for a rod bolt change on our vehicles. Within those directions you will be guided EXACTLY how to access your oil pan.

    BTW, you will need to drop your K-member assembly ENOUGH to make space for the oil pan to come out. Remember, the oil pan needs CLEARANCE in order to disengage because it dislodges itself in a DOWN & OUT motion.

    If you have any further questions let me know.......

  4. #4
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    OK... first of all, you DON'T NEED an engine hoist to change the oil pan. That's a complete waist of space, time and money in my opinion. I changed out my rod bolts and everything else earlier this year on my rebuild and didn't need a hoist....in fact I did all the work alone. SO............look up the install for a rod bolt change on our vehicles. Within those directions you will be guided EXACTLY how to access your oil pan.

    BTW, you will need to drop your K-member assembly ENOUGH to make space for the oil pan to come out. Remember, the oil pan needs CLEARANCE in order to disengage because it dislodges itself in a DOWN & OUT motion.

    If you have any further questions let me know.......
    I was just posting as it is/was listed in an f-body manual.. I'm sure other techniques are possible..
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-17-2010 at 07:06 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  5. #5
    Member jb3golf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Zona
    Posts
    600

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I was just posting as it is/was listed in an f-body manual.. I'm sure other techniques are possible..
    Oh Absolutely bud!!!! There are different ways and your suggestion IS correct also!!!!! My fault if my post was offensive to yours..... I just remember this process vividly since I had to do it recently!!

  6. #6
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    Oh Absolutely bud!!!! There are different ways and your suggestion IS correct also!!!!! My fault if my post was offensive to yours..... I just remember this process vividly since I had to do it recently!!
    No offense taken...

  7. #7
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    OK... first of all, you DON'T NEED an engine hoist to change the oil pan. That's a complete waist of space, time and money in my opinion. I changed out my rod bolts and everything else earlier this year on my rebuild and didn't need a hoist....in fact I did all the work alone. SO............look up the install for a rod bolt change on our vehicles. Within those directions you will be guided EXACTLY how to access your oil pan.

    BTW, you will need to drop your K-member assembly ENOUGH to make space for the oil pan to come out. Remember, the oil pan needs CLEARANCE in order to disengage because it dislodges itself in a DOWN & OUT motion.

    If you have any further questions let me know.......
    so how did you hold the engine up when you lowered the K member?

  8. #8
    Member victor111262's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    oklahoma city
    Posts
    179

    White
    2001 Z28

    i bought an alldatadiy manual crap online and i found this im going to see if it works oh yea it got pics i just dont know how to add them

    Oil Pan Replacement

    Removal Procedure




    Install the engine support fixture to the engine.
    Remove the starter motor.
    Remove the oil drain plug in order to allow the oil to drain.
    Re-install the engine oil drain plug until snug.



    Remove the oil filter in order to allow the oil to drain.



    Remove the right side engine mount bracket bolts.



    Remove the left side engine mount bracket bolts.



    Remove the right and left side shock absorber lower mounting bolts.



    Remove the intermediate steering shaft bolt.
    Support the engine cradle using an adjustable stand(s).



    Disconnect the oil level sensor connector.



    Remove the oil level sensor from the oil pan (if necessary).



    Remove the right transmission cover and bolt.



    Remove the left transmission cover and bolt.



    Loosen the six cradle bolts three or four turns.
    Lower the cradle slightly using the cradle support. It may be necessary to also raise the engine using the support fixture.
    Remove the bottom two transmission bolts.



    Remove the oil pan bolts (1). Important: Use care not to gouge, score, or damage the oil pan sealing surface.
    Rotate the oil pan until it can be removed from around the oil pump screen. Important: DO NOT allow foreign material to enter the oil passages of the oil pan, cap or cover the openings as required.



    Drill out the oil pan gasket rivets (2), if necessary.
    Discard the gasket (1) and rivets.
    Installation Procedure

    Important:
    All gasket surfaces should be free of oil or other foreign material during assembly.
    The alignment of the structural oil pan is critical. The rear bolt hole locations of the oil pan provide mounting points for the transmission housing. To ensure the rigidity of the powertrain and correct transmission alignment, it is important that the rear of the block and the rear of the oil pan are flush. The rear of the oil pan must NEVER protrude beyond the engine block and transmission housing plane.



    Apply a 5 mm (0.2 inch) bead of sealant GM P/N 12378190 or equivalent 20 mm (0.8 inch) long to the engine block.
    Apply the sealant directly onto the tabs of the front cover gasket that protrude into the oil pan surface.



    Apply a 5 mm (0.2 inch) bead of sealant GM P/N 12378190 or equivalent 20 mm (0.8 inch) long to the engine block.
    Apply the sealant directly onto the tabs of the rear cover gasket that protrude into the oil pan surface. Important: Be sure to align the oil gallery passages in the oil pan and engine block properly with the oil pan gasket.



    Pre-assemble the oil pan gasket (2) to the pan (1).
    5.1. Install the gasket onto the pan (2).
    5.2. Install the oil pan bolts (1) to the pan and through the gasket.
    Install the oil pan (2), gasket and bolts (1) to the engine block.
    Tighten the oil pan bolts (1) until snug. Do not overtighten.
    Install the two lower transmission housing bolts in order to correctly align the oil pan. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
    Tighten the lower transmission housing bolts until snug. Do not overtighten.
    9.1. Tighten the oil pan-to-block and oil pan-to-front cover bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
    9.2. Tighten the oil pan-to-rear cover bolts to 12 Nm (106 inch lbs.).
    9.3. Tighten the transmission housing bolts to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) for a manual transmission and 95 Nm (70 ft. lbs.) for a automatic transmission.
    Raise the engine cradle and/or if necessary, lower the engine.



    Tighten the crossmember bolts.
    Tighten the upper four crossmember bolts to 125 Nm (92 ft. lbs.).
    Tighten the lower two crossmember bolts to 145 Nm (107 ft. lbs.).



    Install the left side transmission cover and bolt. Tighten the transmission cover bolt to 12 Nm (106 inch lbs.).



    Install the right side transmission cover and bolt. Tighten the transmission cover bolt to 12 Nm (106 inch lbs.).



    Install the oil level sensor to the oil pan (if necessary). Tighten the oil level sensor to 35 Nm (26 ft. lbs.).



    Connect the oil level sensor electrical connector.
    Remove the support from the cradle.



    Connect the intermediate steering shaft bolt. Tighten the intermediate steering shaft bolt to 47 Nm (35 ft. lbs.).



    Install the right and left side shock absorber lower mounting bolts. Tighten the shock absorbers bolts to 65 Nm (48 ft. lbs.).



    Install the left side engine mount bracket bolts. Tighten the engine mount bracket bolts to 58 Nm (43 ft. lbs.).



    Install the right side engine mount bracket bolts. Tighten the engine mount bracket bolts to 58 Nm (43 ft. lbs.).



    Install the oil pan drain plug. Tighten the oil pan drain plug to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).



    Install the engine oil filter. Tighten the engine oil filter to 30 Nm (22 ft. lbs.).
    Lower the vehicle.
    Remove the engine support fixture.
    Install the starter motor.
    Fill the crankcase with the proper quantity and grade of engine oil.
    Run the engine and check for leaks.

  9. #9
    Member jb3golf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Zona
    Posts
    600

    Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

    Quote Originally Posted by victor111262 View Post
    i bought an alldatadiy manual crap online and i found this im going to see if it works oh yea it got pics i just dont know how to add them

    Oil Pan Replacement

    Removal Procedure




    Install the engine support fixture to the engine.
    Remove the starter motor.
    Remove the oil drain plug in order to allow the oil to drain.
    Re-install the engine oil drain plug until snug.



    Remove the oil filter in order to allow the oil to drain.



    Remove the right side engine mount bracket bolts.



    Remove the left side engine mount bracket bolts.



    Remove the right and left side shock absorber lower mounting bolts.



    Remove the intermediate steering shaft bolt.
    Support the engine cradle using an adjustable stand(s).



    Disconnect the oil level sensor connector.



    Remove the oil level sensor from the oil pan (if necessary).



    Remove the right transmission cover and bolt.



    Remove the left transmission cover and bolt.



    Loosen the six cradle bolts three or four turns.
    Lower the cradle slightly using the cradle support. It may be necessary to also raise the engine using the support fixture.
    Remove the bottom two transmission bolts.



    Remove the oil pan bolts (1). Important: Use care not to gouge, score, or damage the oil pan sealing surface.
    Rotate the oil pan until it can be removed from around the oil pump screen. Important: DO NOT allow foreign material to enter the oil passages of the oil pan, cap or cover the openings as required.



    Drill out the oil pan gasket rivets (2), if necessary.
    Discard the gasket (1) and rivets.
    Installation Procedure

    Important:
    All gasket surfaces should be free of oil or other foreign material during assembly.
    The alignment of the structural oil pan is critical. The rear bolt hole locations of the oil pan provide mounting points for the transmission housing. To ensure the rigidity of the powertrain and correct transmission alignment, it is important that the rear of the block and the rear of the oil pan are flush. The rear of the oil pan must NEVER protrude beyond the engine block and transmission housing plane.



    Apply a 5 mm (0.2 inch) bead of sealant GM P/N 12378190 or equivalent 20 mm (0.8 inch) long to the engine block.
    Apply the sealant directly onto the tabs of the front cover gasket that protrude into the oil pan surface.



    Apply a 5 mm (0.2 inch) bead of sealant GM P/N 12378190 or equivalent 20 mm (0.8 inch) long to the engine block.
    Apply the sealant directly onto the tabs of the rear cover gasket that protrude into the oil pan surface. Important: Be sure to align the oil gallery passages in the oil pan and engine block properly with the oil pan gasket.



    Pre-assemble the oil pan gasket (2) to the pan (1).
    5.1. Install the gasket onto the pan (2).
    5.2. Install the oil pan bolts (1) to the pan and through the gasket.
    Install the oil pan (2), gasket and bolts (1) to the engine block.
    Tighten the oil pan bolts (1) until snug. Do not overtighten.
    Install the two lower transmission housing bolts in order to correctly align the oil pan. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
    Tighten the lower transmission housing bolts until snug. Do not overtighten.
    9.1. Tighten the oil pan-to-block and oil pan-to-front cover bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
    9.2. Tighten the oil pan-to-rear cover bolts to 12 Nm (106 inch lbs.).
    9.3. Tighten the transmission housing bolts to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) for a manual transmission and 95 Nm (70 ft. lbs.) for a automatic transmission.
    Raise the engine cradle and/or if necessary, lower the engine.



    Tighten the crossmember bolts.
    Tighten the upper four crossmember bolts to 125 Nm (92 ft. lbs.).
    Tighten the lower two crossmember bolts to 145 Nm (107 ft. lbs.).



    Install the left side transmission cover and bolt. Tighten the transmission cover bolt to 12 Nm (106 inch lbs.).



    Install the right side transmission cover and bolt. Tighten the transmission cover bolt to 12 Nm (106 inch lbs.).



    Install the oil level sensor to the oil pan (if necessary). Tighten the oil level sensor to 35 Nm (26 ft. lbs.).



    Connect the oil level sensor electrical connector.
    Remove the support from the cradle.



    Connect the intermediate steering shaft bolt. Tighten the intermediate steering shaft bolt to 47 Nm (35 ft. lbs.).



    Install the right and left side shock absorber lower mounting bolts. Tighten the shock absorbers bolts to 65 Nm (48 ft. lbs.).



    Install the left side engine mount bracket bolts. Tighten the engine mount bracket bolts to 58 Nm (43 ft. lbs.).



    Install the right side engine mount bracket bolts. Tighten the engine mount bracket bolts to 58 Nm (43 ft. lbs.).



    Install the oil pan drain plug. Tighten the oil pan drain plug to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).



    Install the engine oil filter. Tighten the engine oil filter to 30 Nm (22 ft. lbs.).
    Lower the vehicle.
    Remove the engine support fixture.
    Install the starter motor.
    Fill the crankcase with the proper quantity and grade of engine oil.
    Run the engine and check for leaks.

    Alright!!! Those instructions are right on point. Good Luck!!! Let us know how this install goes.......

  10. #10
    Member victor111262's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    oklahoma city
    Posts
    179

    White
    2001 Z28

    thank im doing it on Tuesday cos Monday im swapping my cam

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •