Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

oil/gas additives? does work or bs?

i was wondering if any of u guys used any oil or gas additives in ur cars. if so which do u prefer, wat is supposedly best? i bought zmax for my car a couple of times, both the fuel and oil treatment. to tell u the truth i dont think i noticed any real improvements in gas mileage or power.
    2002 z28-slp cai, slp loudmouth, slp tuned headers, slp 85 mm MAF, slp high flow cats, 3" y-pipe and collectors
    331.6 rwhp/356.9 rwtq

I use Lucas fuel treatments in all my cars. Usually every 3rd or 4th fillup. It keeps the fuel systems clean as well as cleans deposits from valves and the like. Alot of people swear by the stuff.
    I usually just buy the gallon jug, it's cheaper that way. I think there was talk on here somewhere where someone had a cheaper home brewed mix of something,,,but I prefer to just stick to the Lucas. About $30 for a gallon jug that seems to last me at least 6 months or so, again using it in 8 different cars but only on the 3rd or 4th fillup. Most of them though do alot of sitting.

I do notice the car picks up about 1 mpg or so when I drop this stuff in the tank,,,,doesn't matter which car it is. But thats not what I use it for anyway.

black
    2002 WS6

Personaly I think its a bunch of bunk my self. The only additives the car sees are Stabil for storages and my truck sees gas line anti freeze in winter when its gets to the deep freeze mark. Thats about it.

Other wise if it wasn't in it from the factory, it stays on the shelf.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I alternate STP Fuel System cleaner and STP Fuel Injector cleaner every other fill up.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

AutoRX is the real deal for cleaning the internals....and this....
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=stroke

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I stopped using the 2 stroke method for about a month and idle got worse over time. A couple of treatments this month and you can drastically tell a difference at idle.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i have been using the 2 stroke stuff in my volvo with 210 k on it, i cant really tell a difference but thats probably because of my various huge exhaust leaks, bad idle control valve, and various other problems, but i can say it didnt hurt it at all!

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

in my monte carlo i use stp fuel injector cleaner at each oil change and a once a year stp fuel system cleaner. i haven't used an oil additives but i would do a seafoam at some point in time more than likely. i use valvoline max life oil which has additives in it for higher mileage engines.

in the camaro i use chevron techron fuel system cleaner. i will probably seafoam the engine this coming spring when i take it out of storage as it has 100,000 miles on it now...run it in the oil and through the vacuum tubing and then change the oil. not sure if i'm going to do a 5w30 high mileage mobil1 or not on the camaro yet.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Use the injector cleaner right before the oil change if you insist on using it. Cleaners dump acid into the oil and inhibit it's ability to lubricate guys. So run a tankful with your cleaner of choice right before the oil change.

Ya thats why I never liked to use that stuff. I always prefer the lucas fuel treatment. More of an oil substance that also lubes the electric fuel pump too. And you don't have to worry about changing the oil.

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

hmm i might have to try that 2 stroke marine oil

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Works for me in all my cars....and many others...cheap and very effective....

black
    00 camaro Z28

so even if u fill up at chevron most of the time would u still be using the fuel additives?

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Twice a year I use a fuel system cleaner added to my gasoline, really do not know if it does anything, the vehicle seems to run ok either way.

SteveC

Quote Originally Posted by ricefordiner View Post
    so even if u fill up at chevron most of the time would u still be using the fuel additives?
    Yep I do. I'm not so sure that the gas additives they advertise at the pumps are all they are cracked up to be. I'm not that impressed with pump gas quality overall anyway, seems to be radically different at different stations. Just for peice of mind I prefer to follow my own fuel system maintainance.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya thats why I never liked to use that stuff. I always prefer the lucas fuel treatment. More of an oil substance that also lubes the electric fuel pump too. And you don't have to worry about changing the oil.
    lucas isn't really as great as they say it is. yeah it adds oil pressure and lubricates but that's because it's about as thick as tar. it's going to reduce the efficiency of your engine. the auto trans stuff is thicker yet. i see people come in and buy that stuff just before they sell their cars with high miles on them. it's one of those last ditch efforts just before the trans fails altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    lucas isn't really as great as they say it is. yeah it adds oil pressure and lubricates but that's because it's about as thick as tar. it's going to reduce the efficiency of your engine. the auto trans stuff is thicker yet. i see people come in and buy that stuff just before they sell their cars with high miles on them. it's one of those last ditch efforts just before the trans fails altogether.
    I'm not talking about the oil additive. I use their fuel additive that you dump in the gas tank,,,,that is great stuff and completely different. It's not the stuff you put in the crankcase.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I'm not talking about the oil additive. I use their fuel additive that you dump in the gas tank,,,,that is great stuff and completely different. It's not the stuff you put in the crankcase.
    oh...haha...okay. i've used the lucas once or twice...but i can get two bottles of stp for the same price as one of the lucas and it works just as well from what i can tell.

on the other hand there's a guy at work that refuses to touch anything that isn't techron and there's another guy that will use anything that isn't lucas.

so...to each their own i do suppose.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Use the injector cleaner right before the oil change if you insist on using it. Cleaners dump acid into the oil and inhibit it's ability to lubricate guys. So run a tankful with your cleaner of choice right before the oil change.
    i believe you are talking about any cleaner that you would add to the crankcase as far as inhibiting lubrication. in which case i'm inclined to agree with you. virtually all of the oil crankcase additives on the market recommend that they be put in the oil, ran for a set period of time...a few hours typically, and then do an oil and filter change.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    i believe you are talking about any cleaner that you would add to the crankcase as far as inhibiting lubrication. in which case i'm inclined to agree with you. virtually all of the oil crankcase additives on the market recommend that they be put in the oil, ran for a set period of time...a few hours typically, and then do an oil and filter change.
    I think Sarge is talking about injector cleaner that you put in the gas tank,,,you have to be carefull of some. I think he is referring to it as getting into the engine oil and deluting it with an acid in which case you would need to change the engine oil right after,,,,such as the STP you are using,,,thats why it's cheaper.

Thats why I use the lucas fuel additive in the gas tank, it doesn't have the acid content so no worries about anything harmfull to the crankcase oil,,,yet it still does a nice job as well as lubricates the in tank fuel pump,,,important for long life.

If you want to get away from the STP and the high acid content,,,but don't want to spend the money for the Lucas fuel treatment,,,,I think Sarge has his own home mix brew of sorts that works just the same and saves a little coin. Something with 2 stroke marine oil. But you have to be carefull in measuring the amount,,,something the Lucas fuel treatment is more forgiving on.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 12-17-2008 at 11:31 AM.

Thread Information