Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 80

oil drain plug won't back out

This is a discussion on oil drain plug won't back out within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I went to change my oil the other day and I got the drain plug about 75% out when it ...

  1. #1
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    oil drain plug won't back out

    I went to change my oil the other day and I got the drain plug about 75% out when it wouldn't come out any more because the header was in the way. Is there any way to get it out without having to take my header off? It's weird I have changed my oil with headers and it wasn't in the way but now it is for some reason. Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands/spring/houston
    Posts
    2,142

    pewter
    99 trans am

    perhaps take either side motor mount loose and jack up the engine...see if it makes clearance

  3. #3
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    how long is the damn bolt!?

    it shouldnt even come close to any style header!!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    sounds like you might have the wrong size bolt in there. i don't think losseing the motor mount is going to help with clearance because the header is attached to the motor. The only thing will be to remove the header or band out the area where the bolt is coming out to create some clearance.

    but i have to agree that the bolt is too long.

  5. #5
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    sounds like you might have the wrong size bolt in there. i don't think losseing the motor mount is going to help with clearance because the header is attached to the motor. The only thing will be to remove the header or band out the area where the bolt is coming out to create some clearance.

    but i have to agree that the bolt is too long.
    But the thing is I have had headers on and changed my oil so why is clearance an issue now? Could a failed motor mount cause this? I need to replace them with after market ones anyways.

  6. #6
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    But the thing is I have had headers on and changed my oil so why is clearance an issue now? Could a failed motor mount cause this? I need to replace them with after market ones anyways.
    I won't think so because the header and the motor are one piece and the mount holds the motor. if the header was not attached to the engine i will say yes to that. I mean that what makes sense to me. are your mounts really bad?

    Im really interested to find out since you had the headers before. does the header looks like is hitting somewhere?

    Can you post a pic?

  7. #7
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    Weird, that bolt isn't that long. Does it look like one side is sagging more than the other?

  8. #8
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,693

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    trans drain plug maybe??? that definitly isn't the oil plug...

  9. #9
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    trans drain plug maybe??? that definitly isn't the oil plug...
    seriously lol i was going to ask but I said to myself, naaa it can be... are you sure you are looking at the right plug? Spaz brings a good point. post a pic plz it will be helpful.

  10. #10
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    seriously lol i was going to ask but I said to myself, naaa it can be... are you sure you are looking at the right plug? Spaz brings a good point. post a pic plz it will be helpful.
    I'll get a picture later, If it seriously isn't the oil drain plug I am gonna feel so stupid lol.

  11. #11
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quick way to answer before or after the bell housing?


    Even if it is the trans plug it's not that close to the ORY or LT's at least mine in my T56 isn't. If I'm droppin the tranny I pull it and let it start draining while I'm working on other stuff.

  12. #12
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands/spring/houston
    Posts
    2,142

    pewter
    99 trans am

    damn im dumb lol....thinkin the mount would allow clearance....didnt even think lol

  13. #13
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    damn im dumb lol....thinkin the mount would allow clearance....didnt even think lol

  14. #14
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Quick way to answer before or after the bell housing?


    Even if it is the trans plug it's not that close to the ORY or LT's at least mine in my T56 isn't. If I'm droppin the tranny I pull it and let it start draining while I'm working on other stuff.
    Before

  15. #15
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Before
    now I'll have to wait to see the pics too. I can't see how it's that long or the LTs are that close.

  16. #16
    Senior Member JayTA98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3,351

    Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

    Did you hit the crap out of your exhaust or something?

  17. #17
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Subscribed...

  18. #18
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,997

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    But the thing is I have had headers on and changed my oil so why is clearance an issue now?
    You have SLP headers don't you?
    You must have bottom'ed out on something to bend the header over towards the drain plug.
    You'll have to try to pry the header back or bang a dent in it to clear the drain plug

  19. #19
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    You have SLP headers don't you?
    You must have bottom'ed out on something to bend the header over towards the drain plug.
    You'll have to try to pry the header back or bang a dent in it to clear the drain plug
    I have obx headers and they aren't bent or banged up at all, or at least last time I looked at them they weren't. I'll get a picture of it after class today.

  20. #20
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,693

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    skip class and post the pictures...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Oil drain plug tool
    By tatertot91 in forum Tools
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2012, 09:07 PM
  2. Question: drain plug
    By 2000dreambird in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 12:59 PM
  3. torque for oil drain plug?
    By grandkodiak in forum LT1
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-02-2009, 04:00 PM
  4. Question: Oil Drain Plug location?
    By iceman504 in forum General Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 05:23 PM
  5. oil drain plug size
    By JoeRiceKillr in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2006, 02:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •