Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

Oil Change Options

getting oil changed this weekend....any suggestions?...thanx!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

5.5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30.

ACDelco PF46 filter.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

What ever you do only put in thin oil not the thicker performance oil 5W-50 our engines run better with 10W-30 but i always go with Mobile 1 myself but thats just me it up to you. Have fun!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Customta98 View Post
    What ever you do only put in thin oil not the thicker performance oil 5W-50 our engines run better with 10W-30 but i always go with Mobile 1 myself but thats just me it up to you. Have fun!
    well that post makes no sense

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

and like Mr. Luos said, use pennzoil platinum. i would just use a full 6 quarts and a pf61 ac delco filter

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

you cant go wrong with PP

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

I'm going with AMSOIL. #1 in independent lab tests. 1 year 25,000 mile in or out of warranty change interval guarantee.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Goat-E View Post
    I'm going with AMSOIL. #1 in independent lab tests. 1 year 25,000 mile in or out of warranty change interval guarantee.
    please tell me you're not going to do a 25,000 OCI. amsoil and schaeffers are always the best, Sarge has gotten better results with schaeffers and it is only $4.65 a quart

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    better results with schaeffers and it is only $4.65 a quart
    That is what will be going in my T/A once I can find a good shipping deal. No dealers within 100 miles of me though.
    Until then, 10w-30 Pennzoil Platinum. That is what the daily driver gets every 5K.

As for the oil change intervals....I change twice a year in the T/A....regardless. Spring and fall. Normally 1500 miles between changes.

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

please tell me you're not going to do a 25,000 OCI. amsoil and schaeffers are always the best, Sarge has gotten better results with schaeffers and it is only $4.65 a quart
    I'll give it a look see. I only drive the GTO about 5500 miles a year so I'm only planning on doing one change a year. Weather changes aren't that extreme down here.
    Last edited by Goat-E; 06-26-2009 at 01:44 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

LOL...you better re-read that warranty there pal....

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

PP it is then...great! thanx, kids!

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

but why 5.5 or 6 quarts?....will 5 not due?

Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

also...once I change to Synthetic I can't switch back to regular oil right?....like if I had an emergency and had only reg oil around.....

Black
    1999 Trans Am

It takes 5.5 quarts so you have to buy 6, 5 for the engine and .5 for the filter if I'm not mistaken. Its generally not a good idea to bounce back forth between sythetic and regular causes leak issues that nobody wants to deal with. Also for my .02 I run 5w-30 Royal Purple full sythetic with a Mobil 1 filter, cant remember filter number, best oil IMO but its expensive if you dont have an in at a parts house.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by MotorDogStar View Post
    but why 5.5 or 6 quarts?....will 5 not due?
    Manual calls for 5.5 quarts.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    It takes 5.5 quarts so you have to buy 6, 5 for the engine and .5 for the filter if I'm not mistaken. Its generally not a good idea to bounce back forth between sythetic and regular causes leak issues that nobody wants to deal with. Also for my .02 I run 5w-30 Royal Purple full sythetic with a Mobil 1 filter, cant remember filter number, best oil IMO but its expensive if you dont have an in at a parts house.
    i run a full 6 quarts, everytime even before i ran the larger filter it always came up short on the stick. also ditch the royal purple, pennzoil platinum will make your engine very happy

Post The 25,000-mile Oil Change

Many people meeting the “normal service” criteria listed below have posted good Used Oil Analysis (UOA) results after doing the Amsoil 25,000-mile/1-year Oil Change Intervals (OCI). Amsoil's top tier synthetics are formulated for extended OCIs and it is possible in some applications.

That said, read the recommendations first before doing an extended OCI. Also, as mentioned before here in the forum, the safest way to extend oil changes is based off of UOA findings. You don’t want to find out the hard way that your air induction system is leaking dirt, or you have excessive fuel dilution, or a coolant leaking head gasket, etc; all of which will reduce the service life of the oil very quickly.

Amsoil Extended Oil Change Interval Recommendations:

SERVICE LIFE

AMSOIL 100% High Performance Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline fueled vehicles as follows:

• Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Replace AMSOIL Ea oil filter at the time of oil change up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first (other brands at standard OEM* intervals).

• In all non-gasoline fueled vehicle applications, extend the oil change interval according to oil analysis or follow the OEM* drain interval.

*OEM – Original Equipment Manufacturer

(1) Engines operating under modified conditions(non-stock) are excluded from extended drain recommendations. Examples include the use of performance computer chips; non-OEM approved exhaust, fuel or air induction systems; and the use of fuels other than those recommended for normal operation by the manufacturer.

(2) Mechanically sound engines are in good working condition and do not, for example, leak oil or consume excessive amounts, are not worn out, do not overheat, do not leak anti-freeze and have properly working emission control systems. AMSOIL recommends repairing malfunctioning engines prior to the installation of AMSOIL synthetic oils.

(3) Personal vehicles frequently traveling greater than 10 miles (16 km) at a time and not operating under severe service.

(4) Turbo/supercharged vehicles, commercial or fleet vehicles, extensive engine idling, use of AMSOIL motor oil in vehicles with more than 100,000 miles without prior use of AMSOIL motor oil, daily short trip driving less than 10 miles (16 km), frequent towing, plowing, hauling or dusty condition driving.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

i run a full 6 quarts, everytime even before i ran the larger filter it always came up short on the stick. also ditch the royal purple, pennzoil platinum will make your engine very happy
    Personally, I wouldn't run Pennzoil in my lawnmower I just don't think its a good oil never have never will. Its plenty happy with Royal Purple BTW

Thread Information