Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Oil Change Options

This is a discussion on Oil Change Options within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; you can buy 5qts of PP at walmart for 20$ .had a roommate with a 396 bbc making 520hp +175 ...

red
    2000TA

you can buy 5qts of PP at walmart for 20$ .had a roommate with a 396 bbc making 520hp +175 nos raced it down the strip over 100 runs on regular pennzoil not one problem, and this guy loved to wind the motor out.

red
    2000TA

sarge what is your thoughts about oil coolers?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Well since I think online pissing matches are pointless(which is what this is turning into) when at the end of this MY personal preference is to run anything but Pennzoil and YOUR personal preference will be to like it and neither one of us will change our minds. So I restate again that we will have to agree to disagree. You have a nice day now sunshine.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by garygnu65 View Post
    sarge what is your thoughts about oil coolers?
    With a thermostat that allows your oil to reach minimum 180f I like them very much....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    Well since I think online pissing matches are pointless(which is what this is turning into) when at the end of this MY personal preference is to run anything but Pennzoil and YOUR personal preference will be to like it and neither one of us will change our minds. So I restate again that we will have to agree to disagree. You have a nice day now sunshine.
    Well if your idea of a "pissing match" is you dont read nor provide any solid data and we provide irrefutable data......and you continue to spew horseshit and refuse to read and comprehend anything...then yeah ...I agree....no point in continuing asking you to read anything.....go forth in ignorance and marketing bullshit and be happy.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

rp just pee in the fill cap it will run the same

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    With a thermostat that allows your oil to reach minimum 180f I like them very much....
    I knew you could run it too old and I was thinking you wanted it to stay around 200 for optimum performace but I couldn't remeber for sure what the lower temp was....thanks for refreshing my brain!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Well if your idea of a "pissing match" is you dont read nor provide any solid data and we provide irrefutable data......and you continue to spew horseshit and refuse to read and comprehend anything...then yeah ...I agree....no point in continuing asking you to read anything.....go forth in ignorance and marketing bullshit and be happy.
    Well said, Sarge. Verifiable data is necessary for good decision making, while irrational emotion only leads to bad decision making.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Excellent reminder to those who want to add an oil cooler. I've seen quite a number of such setups with large coolers and multiple remote oil filters that nealry doubled the stock capacity, but no thermostat. One can get away with that here in Florida as long as one regularly drives far enough for all that oil to reach proper operating temperature. However, this is not good for those who also use their hot rods as their daily driver with a commute to work of only a few miles or so (even worse for cold climates).

Y'all know why you want your oil to regularly reach proper operating temperature, don't you?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Ugh I did read and well admittedly the comprehension eh I'll admit below average but when I ask so I can understand the testing methods better you go off like I'm attacking ya. So on that point I shall continue my ignorance, I don't remember talking about any marketing bullshit(no I don't believe it gives you more hp or anything like that) and indeed I will be happy. I'm glad we can agree to disagree be seeing ya

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    Excellent reminder to those who want to add an oil cooler. I've seen quite a number of such setups with large coolers and multiple remote oil filters that nealry doubled the stock capacity, but no thermostat. One can get away with that here in Florida as long as one regularly drives far enough for all that oil to reach proper operating temperature. However, this is not good for those who also use their hot rods as their daily driver with a commute to work of only a few miles or so (even worse for cold climates).

Y'all know why you want your oil to regularly reach proper operating temperature, don't you?
    Hows it going GatorSS, I was kinda intrigued about why oil has to be at operating temps, now im more of a body guy cause that is what I went to school for, but I was kinda thinking that the oil has to reach its proper viscosity so that it can flow through the engine and lubricate properly, am I wrong? Please fill me in, im just trying to learn more about oil its kinda something I rarely ever thought about till this thread, thanx, oh and by the way nice F-15 thats a good pic.
    98 Trans Am Custom Paint, Ghost Skuls On Racing Stripe + Custom Front Lip, :MODs Tubular K-member, Tubular Upper and lower A-arms, Tubular Control Arms, 4:10's, Cam L-.567/.575 D@.05-.212/.218,1.85 Roller Rockers, P&P Heads, ARH Headers & HF Cats & Y-Pipe, SLP loudmouth catback, +'s

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY JERZY View Post
    rp just pee in the fill cap it will run the same

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by Customta98 View Post
    Hows it going GatorSS, I was kinda intrigued about why oil has to be at operating temps, now im more of a body guy cause that is what I went to school for, but I was kinda thinking that the oil has to reach its proper viscosity so that it can flow through the engine and lubricate properly, am I wrong? Please fill me in, im just trying to learn more about oil its kinda something I rarely ever thought about till this thread, thanx, oh and by the way nice F-15 thats a good pic.
    It needs to get to operating temps to burn off water vapor & other contamination that forms acids, sludge & varnish.

Short runs kill engines unless oil is changed frequently.

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    It needs to get to operating temps to burn off water vapor & other contamination that forms acids, sludge & varnish.

Short runs kill engines unless oil is changed frequently.
    cool thanx for the info, that makes pretty good sense.

Now EVERYONE KNOWS Pennzoil causes sludge AND Pamela Anderson is the perfect mother!

When are people gonna let Pennzoil sludge rumor rest?

I have used Pennzoil in all my cars for over 20 years and 100's of thous of miles without any engine trouble. Infact my 89 Camaro with 210 thous miles on it using pennzoil still runs and sounds like new and doesn't use any oil.

Sarge you have a link to a sound clip of piston slap? I tried to find it but couldn't using the search engine.
    Last edited by 99RTA; 07-13-2009 at 10:00 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information