Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 75

Oil Change Options

This is a discussion on Oil Change Options within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by HOBS Personally, I wouldn't run Pennzoil in my lawnmower I just don't think its a good oil ...

  1. #21
    Single Malt rbob93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Age
    69
    Posts
    2,707

    Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

    Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't run Pennzoil in my lawnmower I just don't think its a good oil never have never will. Its plenty happy with Royal Purple BTW
    What exactly do you base your opinion on??

  2. #22
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Compsyn, while your here, or anyone with an opinion for that matter. I have 107,000 miles on the clock and drive the car MAYBE 4-5 times a month, would it be more harmful to switch to a synthetic at this point? Or should I just stick with the penzoil 5w30 that i have had in it since I bought it new?
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

  3. #23
    autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montgomery,Ala
    Posts
    2,436

    2007 Corvette
    Ebony

    personal preference i quess. i can't bring myself to buy pennzoil or quakerstate,not because i think they are bad oils it's just they have such a bad rep,say pennzoil around car people/mechanics and they usually wrinkle their faces and say "don't run that crap" usually followed by "use castrol".i have always used valvoline and will continue to do so.max life in the t/a premium conventional in the m/c.

  4. #24

    Post It's not too late...

    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Compsyn, while your here, or anyone with an opinion for that matter. I have 107,000 miles on the clock and drive the car MAYBE 4-5 times a month, would it be more harmful to switch to a synthetic at this point? Or should I just stick with the penzoil 5w30 that i have had in it since I bought it new?
    You’re not going to harm anything by switching to a synthetic at 107k. In fact, it would be a good time to do an Amsoil Engine Flush or run some Auto-Rx with your Pennzoil. After the internals of your engine are all clean, switch to a top grade synthetic.

    CompSyn

  5. #25
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    You’re not going to harm anything by switching to a synthetic at 107k. In fact, it would be a good time to do an Amsoil Engine Flush or run some Auto-Rx with your Pennzoil. After the internals of your engine are all clean, switch to a top grade synthetic.

    CompSyn
    So no gaskets leaking or etc i should be worried about?

  6. #26
    The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    136

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by MotorDogStar View Post
    but why 5.5 or 6 quarts?....will 5 not due?
    LT1 is 5Qt's. LS1 takes 5.5 with a standard filter. 6 quarts with the larger filter.

  7. #27
    autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montgomery,Ala
    Posts
    2,436

    2007 Corvette
    Ebony

    larger filter? pf46 is what i've always used.

  8. #28
    The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    136

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    larger filter? pf46 is what i've always used.
    The larger filter is used on 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 Trucks and SUV's. It's a PF61 as stated towards the beginning of the thread.

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Oman
    Posts
    8

    Orange
    Commodore ss 2008

    Hi everyone
    i would like to know what type of il should i choose if i want to change..the weather is too hot here at the Gulf countries.6 months hot and 6 months cold...someone said i have to change depends on the weather..then would recommend me what i have to choose in summer and what in winter?
    my car is lumina ss 2008 v8 6.0L / 6 speed manual gear (commodore ve 2008)
    i am using PF48 oil filter
    Thanks

  10. #30
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Deviant LS1 View Post
    The larger filter is used on 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 Trucks and SUV's. It's a PF61 as stated towards the beginning of the thread.
    actually all those engines above use a pf46. the pf61 goes on trailblazer/envoy with the 4.2 i6 and caddys northstar. pf 61 good stuff and the amsoil version is a tad longer than the gm filter

  11. #31
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't run Pennzoil in my lawnmower I just don't think its a good oil never have never will. Its plenty happy with Royal Purple BTW
    personally, you're being very nieve(spelling). pennzoil platinum in real world tests-independent labs on everyday cars will kick the holy shit outta royal purple. royal purple is full of markeing bullshit and itWILL NOT protect anywhere close to amsoil,pennz, or schaeffers





    if you dont believe me thats cool, look at the oil junkie sticky and read for about 3 hours and you'll learn a lil bit on oil

  12. #32
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    personal preference i quess. i can't bring myself to buy pennzoil or quakerstate,not because i think they are bad oils it's just they have such a bad rep,say pennzoil around car people/mechanics and they usually wrinkle their faces and say "don't run that crap" usually followed by "use castrol".i have always used valvoline and will continue to do so.max life in the t/a premium conventional in the m/c.
    i build transmissions for a living, been working in a shop for quite awhile now and i laugh at the other techs that say that about pennzoil, they say that because cheap ass people usually run pennzoil yellow bottle and never keep up with oil changes-so it builds up sludge-and they dont maintain the air filter. so then they bring it in and the tech sees the buildup then all of a sudden pennzoil is bad oil

  13. #33
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by MotorDogStar View Post
    also...once I change to Synthetic I can't switch back to regular oil right?....like if I had an emergency and had only reg oil around.....
    That is absolute horseshit. You can mix/switch back and forth with no negative effects.

  14. #34
    Retired NOT tired SteveC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Poway, Ca
    Posts
    1,126

    SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    You’re not going to harm anything by switching to a synthetic at 107k. In fact, it would be a good time to do an Amsoil Engine Flush or run some Auto-Rx with your Pennzoil. After the internals of your engine are all clean, switch to a top grade synthetic.

    CompSyn
    I disagree, if you flush the engine with that many miles on it (assuming it has sludge), you run the risk of leaks in any seal that comes in contact with the oil.

    I would just stick to dyno oil in a vehicle with that many miles on it.

    JMHO

    SteveC

  15. #35
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I disagree, if you flush the engine with that many miles on it (assuming it has sludge), you run the risk of leaks in any seal that comes in contact with the oil.

    I would just stick to dyno oil in a vehicle with that many miles on it.

    JMHO

    SteveC

    auto rx is not a harsh cleaner and will condition the seals, especially on an older engine. you are correct about the harsh cleaners tho. i would auto rx it then amsoil the bitch out

  16. #36

    Lightbulb Gunk

    Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    auto rx is not a harsh cleaner and will condition the seals, especially on an older engine. you are correct about the harsh cleaners tho. i would auto rx it then amsoil the bitch out
    Correct! Auto-RX has a Seal Leak Application.

    My daily driver ran exclusively with a well known brand name conventional motor oil to 130,000-miles. At that point, I did an Amsoil Engine Flush and switched to Amsoil SSO 0W-30. I've had no issues with leaks.

    However, deposits left behind from motor oil can act as sealant in the event the seals are going bad. But if that was the case would one want to replace the problem seals and clean out the gunk?

    CompSyn

  17. #37
    Member MotorDogStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    105

    Green
    1994 Trans Am GTA

    I got a LT1 not LS1....is it still 5.5...getting alot of different answers....

  18. #38
    cutting and welding mark21742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mercersburg pa
    Posts
    6,443

    hugger orange
    2004

    Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    i build transmissions for a living, been working in a shop for quite awhile now and i laugh at the other techs that say that about pennzoil, they say that because cheap ass people usually run pennzoil yellow bottle and never keep up with oil changes-so it builds up sludge-and they dont maintain the air filter. so then they bring it in and the tech sees the buildup then all of a sudden pennzoil is bad oil
    my mother bought a 1990 z24 new and ran yellow bottle Pennzoil in it, then gave me the car......14 years and285,000 on it, I changed the oil (around) every 3,000 miles and it never gave either of us a problem.....even after being totaled twice. so I have to agree with you

  19. #39
    Junior Member need4fun2469's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mesquite,Tx
    Posts
    69

    SOM
    2002 WS6

    pm sarge. He has a lot of knowledge in this department.

  20. #40
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by MotorDogStar View Post
    I got a LT1 not LS1....is it still 5.5...getting alot of different answers....
    i think they take 5 even. just put 5 in there, start it, let it sit a moment and check your stick, add if neccessary

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Options?
    By silverWS6 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-15-2009, 08:06 PM
  2. Handling change w/ tire change
    By hotdog453 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-17-2008, 07:17 PM
  3. How can I change my options?
    By Rojerlockless in forum Request and Feedback
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-27-2007, 07:58 PM
  4. SS Options
    By Holcomb in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-20-2006, 10:58 AM
  5. What were all SS SLP options?
    By 2001blkWS6 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 11:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •