Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Oil Change Light

This is a discussion on Oil Change Light within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones Do you even bother with an oil analyst to see if extending these oil changes are ...

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Do you even bother with an oil analyst to see if extending these oil changes are doing any good?? Otherwise it's just a guess.
    actually, yes... I have I read another LS1 owner's, but nonetheless they had LIFE LEFT even after that light had come on. I also go on the faith in the products I use. You can trust that I would NOT go any longer than finishing the tank of gas that I'm on when the light comes on... like the owner's manual says

they say the more highway driving that you do, the more miles you can put on your oil. I do quite a bit of highway driving. They say lots of idling will significantly lower your miles per interval. The most idling I do is always at stop lights. I never just sit and let mine run.

someone go get sarge... I'm interested in how crazy he probably thinks I am for doing this LOL
    Last edited by 7camaro7; 09-19-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Well if you are getting it analyzed and it's coming back fine, and you are comfortable stretching as far as 10,000 miles like you mentioned,,,then more power to ya.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

I'd be very interested in seeing him post a recent used oil analysis

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

how much do those things cost? and how does the process go?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

You should also get a TBN done because you have no idea where you're oil's at on your extended oil change intervals.

When you get your results post them up.

This will give you real data, not some made up bullshit.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

thanks

do this as soon as I get the kit or after the light's come on?

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

looks like to accurately do this test, I need to keep track of how much oil I've added since this last interval. I've added .5-1qrt. Don't remember exactly.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You could still do this one and the info should be in the ballpark, but the next one will be more accurate when your keeping a closer look at it.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Light came on today at 6,439 miles on the oil. I did my oil, oil filter, and clutch fluid change tonight. I also took a sample of my oil to send to blackstone. I'll be mailing that tomorrow.

Happy to see my light works. If the test comes back and my oil still had good life left in it, that will mean I get 215% more use out of my oil than people who change it every 3000 and do not know why I went to the track and raced on this oil too.

I'll get back at you with the results.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    Light came on today at 6,439 miles on the oil. I did my oil, oil filter, and clutch fluid change tonight. I also took a sample of my oil to send to blackstone. I'll be mailing that tomorrow.

Happy to see my light works. If the test comes back and my oil still had good life left in it, that will mean I get 215% more use out of my oil than people who change it every 3000 and do not know why I went to the track and raced on this oil too.

I'll get back at you with the results.
    I would be interested in this info also. I might have missed it but also what oil and filter is used.
    Last edited by nillam1; 09-29-2009 at 09:36 PM.
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
    I would be interested in this info also. I might have missed it but also what oil and filter is used.
    I use kn oil filters and pennzoil platinum 5w30 syn

about to switch to ac delco filters because they filter smaller stuff and cost 1/5th the price of kns

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Just got my results. There was a certain somebody running his mouth who I will let remain anonymous(FIREBIRDJONES) who can sit on this:>

They said everything looks GREAT!

LIONEL: Nothing unusual showed up in this initial sample from the 5.7L in your '02 SS. Universal averages
    show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 4,100 miles on the oil. This oil was run longer
    than that and wear metals still read nice and low, so there are no evident problems developing inside your
    engine. The 2.4 TBN shows some oil additive still active (1.0 is the low cutoff for extended oil use). Low
    silicon and insolubles show sound air and oil filtration. The viscosity was 5W/30 and no contaminants were
    found. Try ~8,000 miles next oil fill.
    09/29/09
    02 SS
    Gasoline (Unleaded)
    Pennzoil Platinum 5W/30
    1 qt
    10/7/2009
    GM LS-1 5.7L 346 CI V-8
    6,439 Miles

My car had 96,674miles on it when I changed the oil btw

Somebody tell me how to post the copy on here.
    Last edited by 7camaro7; 10-07-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Just got my results. There was a certain somebody running his mouth who I will let remain anonymous(FIREBIRDJONES) who can sit on this:>

LIONEL: Nothing unusual showed up in this initial sample from the 5.7L in your '02 SS. Universal averages
    show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 4,100 miles on the oil. This oil was run longer
    than that and wear metals still read nice and low, so there are no evident problems developing inside your
    engine. The 2.4 TBN shows some oil additive still active (1.0 is the low cutoff for extended oil use). Low
    silicon and insolubles show sound air and oil filtration. The viscosity was 5W/30 and no contaminants were
    09/29/09
    02 SS
    Gasoline (Unleaded)
    Pennzoil Platinum 5W/30
    1 qt
    10/7/2009
    GM LS-1 5.7L 346 CI V-8
    6,439 Miles

Yay

09/29/09
    02 SS
    Gasoline (Unleaded)
    Pennzoil Platinum 5W/30
    1 qt
    10/7/2009
    GM LS-1 5.7L 346 CI V-8
    6,439 Miles

Easy Scooter,,,No body was running at the mouth,,,,,you were previously bragging about 10,000 mile oil changes without an oil annalyse. Lets get it straight before you get excited.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Easy Scooter,,,No body was running at the mouth,,,,,you were previously bragging about 10,000 mile oil changes without an oil annalyse. Lets get it straight before you get excited.
    Show me... My dick is bigger than yours and i can still piss farther

However, I am proud of you being elderly and knowing how to use a computer... that is impressive
    Last edited by 7camaro7; 10-07-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Man are you for real?? Does it really bother you that much?

I'm proud you finally got your oil annalized to make sure things were good. Thats better than boasting on here about long intervals without data. That was my whole issue with it. I wasn't the only one either.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I forgive you darlin
    Last edited by 7camaro7; 10-11-2009 at 12:34 AM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

09/29/09
    02 SS
    Gasoline (Unleaded)
    Pennzoil Platinum 5W/30
    1 qt
    10/7/2009
    GM LS-1 5.7L 346 CI V-8
    6,439 Miles

Go to photobucket.com and post an electronic copy of the results. Then click insert image at the top of the post page. Copy and past the web address (it will be at the bottom of the image) in the box and it should work.
    I would like to see the results. I go by the oil life monitor on my Camaro too.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    You don't have to go to a dealership to get that kind of treatment. About 6 years ago my dad bought an old 4x4 truck. He had a local 4x4 specialty shop inspect it. They claimed it needed new ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm, front wheel bearings, a rear-axle diff. seal, tune-up and the biggest joke- a transmission rebuild!
    By my inspection and the mechanic at the classis car shop I use it needed a tune-up and a rear-diff seal. The front-end had been rebuilt, the previous owner still had the service slips from less than a year before. The transmission had a leaking pan gasket. My mechanic changed the filter, fluid and the leak went away. That was 5,000 miles ago. Trans functions perfect.
    You have to do it yourself or find a shop that does good work and is honest.
    This IS the reason.... That I am my own mechanic.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information