Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Oil Change Light

This is a discussion on Oil Change Light within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by rbob93 The problem is that the add packs in the oil become depleted. You can save money ...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    The problem is that the add packs in the oil become depleted.
    You can save money by increasing your oil change intervals, but ruin an engine costing $7K. Is that money well spent?

With all the oil info on this board I'm surprised there are people that would go that long on an OCI.
    This is all I could think about reading the last few posts. Its oil. Cheap in comparison to a new shortblock because your main bearing are wiped out. Just change it, often.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    This is all I could think about reading the last few posts. Its oil. Cheap in comparison to a new shortblock because your main bearing are wiped out. Just change it, often.
    thats ok

and $7K for a short block ls1? HELL NO... do you know what you can get these days for THOUSANDS less? I was reading my gmhtp mag last night and I saw many FORGED shortblocks for thousands less than $7K. The most expensive was a forged 440ci for just under $6K and is capable of 1000rwhp.

Now tell me who pays $7K for a weak stock ls1 shortblock?

If its in the manual, how can it be bad? they'd be getting sued left and right. Like I said, people are getting very high mileage out of there vehicles following the OLMS and lots of them are using conventional oil!

and yea, oil is cheap... its so cheap that the miles I and you get out of ours makes mine cheaper
    Last edited by 7camaro7; 08-16-2009 at 02:59 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    thats ok

and $7K for a short block ls1? HELL NO... do you know what you can get these days for THOUSANDS less? I was reading my gmhtp mag last night and I saw many FORGED shortblocks for thousands less than $7K. The most expensive was a forged 440ci for just under $6K and is capable of 1000rwhp.

Now tell me who pays $7K for a weak stock ls1 shortblock?

If its in the manual, how can it be bad? they'd be getting sued left and right. Like I said, people are getting very high mileage out of there vehicles following the OLMS and lots of them are using conventional oil!

and yea, oil is cheap... its so cheap that the miles I and you get out of ours makes mine cheaper
    Im sorry, where did I mention anything about 7000 dollars or any numbers for that matter? Obviously, no one would pay for a stock Ls1 shortblock. Dont know where you came up with that. If you feel you can run your engine oil to 6000-7000 miles... go for it. Its really dependant on how hard you run your car. If you beleive everything in every manual, well

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Im sorry, where did I mention anything about 7000 dollars or any numbers for that matter? Obviously, no one would pay for a stock Ls1 shortblock. Dont know where you came up with that. If you feel you can run your engine oil to 6000-7000 miles... go for it. Its really dependant on how hard you run your car. If you beleive everything in every manual, well
    Geeeeee Wiiiiizzzzzzzzzzz.... I wasn't talking only to you. I meant the $7000 part for What's his name. So what else is propaganda in the manual that I should be looking out for?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

I was using the retail cost of an engine to illustrate my point.
    Whatever the cost, if you feel repairing an engine is worth any imagined savings gained by extending your OIC's without the benefit of getting sevaeral used oil analysis, then by all means do so.
    There is much information about oil here. If you choose to desregard the results of the extensive reaserch done by members here, I'm fine with that.

I learned long ago that you can't help someone unless they really want the help you offer.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

ok

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Well I'd say the more they can get you into the dealership the more opportunities they have to rob you blind. Tire rotations... mIght as well get one, replace belt etc.... These are probally more directed towards women who buy new cars but you get my point.

I think they had more on their mind then making sure you get an oil change every 3000 miles.

I remember I had just put an K&N filter in my Monte Carlo (RIP) and after an oil change I asked the guy how my air filter looked (because their supposed to check it) He said it looked alright... Probally just change it after the next change.... meaning he never looked at it.

I was tempted to remove it before the next change and ask whoever did it that time... If I got the same answer I was complaining to the manager.
    Last edited by knightryda01; 09-11-2009 at 08:12 AM.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tickwomp View Post
    Ignition key turn to "on" (but don't start)
    press throttle to floor 3 times
    Turn Ignition off

This resets the "Change Oil" reminder light for me. YMMV...
    This method does not work on my 01 Z28, however it does work on my 04 Tahoe.

SteveC

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post
    Well I'd say the more they can get you into the dealership the more opportunities they have to rob you blind. Tire rotations... mIght as well get one, replace belt etc.... These are probally more directed towards women who buy new cars but you get my point.

I think they had more on their mind then making sure you get an oil change every 3000 miles.

I remember I had just put an K&N filter in my Monte Carlo (RIP) and after an oil change I asked the guy how my air filter looked (because their supposed to check it) He said it looked alright... Probally just change it after the next change.... meaning he never looked at it.

I was tempted to remove it before the next change and ask whoever did it that time... If I got the same answer I was complaining to the manager.
    Last summer my wife took her 00gt to ford and wanted them to check the coolant light, which I wasn't familiar with(it was reading the coolant was fine on my guage but the dash light was on, dummy lights...) anyway they told her that she needed rear brake pads. Well I checked them and had a buddy to check them and we concluded that she had WAY more life in them.

Over a year passed before she needed pads. I changed them myself when we started to hear sounds at braking.

fast forward. This was like just last week. Her a/c stopped blowing cold. I thought it was freon so I bought a refill kit. the guage read way high like 140psi so I added none. I knew something else was wrong and it definitely wasn't low on freon. Took it to the dealership and they said it was some kinda control module that goes in the pass side wheel well up front. We told them install it. They said it worked intermittently and it could be the aftermarket alarm(thats been on the car for 4 years) and worse case the pcm went bad.

I know how rare it is for the pcm to go bad and started calling bs on them in my head. they take the alarm off and it still does not work right. They call and say its the pcm. I told them we're coming to get our car. They called back and said we had a couple wires crossed and you do not need a pcm.

I feel like they were trying to see how far we would go. The brakes and the a/c thing happened at 2 different ford dealerships.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

You don't have to go to a dealership to get that kind of treatment. About 6 years ago my dad bought an old 4x4 truck. He had a local 4x4 specialty shop inspect it. They claimed it needed new ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm, front wheel bearings, a rear-axle diff. seal, tune-up and the biggest joke- a transmission rebuild!
    By my inspection and the mechanic at the classis car shop I use it needed a tune-up and a rear-diff seal. The front-end had been rebuilt, the previous owner still had the service slips from less than a year before. The transmission had a leaking pan gasket. My mechanic changed the filter, fluid and the leak went away. That was 5,000 miles ago. Trans functions perfect.
    You have to do it yourself or find a shop that does good work and is honest.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    You don't have to go to a dealership to get that kind of treatment. About 6 years ago my dad bought an old 4x4 truck. He had a local 4x4 specialty shop inspect it. They claimed it needed new ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm, front wheel bearings, a rear-axle diff. seal, tune-up and the biggest joke- a transmission rebuild!
    By my inspection and the mechanic at the classis car shop I use it needed a tune-up and a rear-diff seal. The front-end had been rebuilt, the previous owner still had the service slips from less than a year before. The transmission had a leaking pan gasket. My mechanic changed the filter, fluid and the leak went away. That was 5,000 miles ago. Trans functions perfect.
    You have to do it yourself or find a shop that does good work and is honest.
    or you get to learn the expen$$$$$$$$$$ive way... Sucks if you don't know any better

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

my engine blew up

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

my engine blew up
    That sucks!

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    That sucks!
    I was just kidding because I was guessing someone in here would be like tolja so. lol My car is fine. 6,1xx miles on this oil so far.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I was just kidding because I was guessing someone in here would be like tolja so. lol My car is fine. 6,1xx miles on this oil so far.
    Hope you didn't just jinx yourself...

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

lol one of the only weak links in these engines is the stock pushrods. I already upgraded those. Otherwise it is well maintained

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

lol one of the only weak links in these engines is the stock pushrods. I already upgraded those. Otherwise it is well maintained

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I wouldn't call a 6,1xx mile oil change well maintained...but to each their own.
    I mean really, the oil change monitoring system is really a big joke. It has absolutely no idea of the condition of the engine oil. It only makes guesses of oil life based on whenever some engineer programs into the computer.
    Last edited by Cutlass; 09-19-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I wouldn't call a 6,1xx mile oil change well maintained...but to each their own.
    I mean really, the oil change monitoring system is really a big joke. It has absolutely no idea of the condition of the engine oil. It only makes guesses of oil life based on whenever some engineer programs into the computer.
    and we all know engineers are retards, both, the ones who made our cars and all the parts they're made of, and the one's who make the oil. What the hell am I doing?

Since its such a big joke, I'll continue waiting for "LOL Oil Change LOL" to show up on my dash
    Last edited by 7camaro7; 09-19-2009 at 03:41 PM.

and we all know engineers are retards, both, the ones who made our cars and all the parts they're made of, and the one's who make the oil. What the hell am I doing?

Since its such a big joke, I'll continue waiting for "LOL Oil Change LOL" to show up on my dash
    Do you even bother with an oil analyst to see if extending these oil changes are doing any good?? Otherwise it's just a guess.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information