Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil change

02 Camaro SS

Oil change

I'm gonna be getting an oil change for the first time and was wondering what are good types of oils out their to use??

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

This thread will have allllll the information you'll ever need to know about motor oil:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/im-oil-junkie-1299/

Black
    2000 WS6

Oh no,,, not again.
    There are some "interesting" threads on oil choices in here.
    Just search em out and you will become more knowledgeable and more frustrated.
    Remember though, change regularly and use a good tall filter.
    Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Nowhereman

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Most use Mobil 1 5w30 with a Delco filter. I use either a Delco or Purolator filter.

Black
    2000 WS6

See what I mean....

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

I use Mobile 1 5w/30 with a Mobile 1 filter but heres a thread http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/amsoil-161433/

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I use Mobil 1 with a Fram filter

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Mobil 1, chevron, valvoline.
    Filter acdelco. 10-40 on my 127k ls1!!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Don't forget guys, most of the AC Delco filters went to the E-core design and are no longer considered a "good" filter. If your local store still stocks the old style then its a good one. The E-core filters are usually labeled with an "e" at the end of the part number. For example PF46e or PF61e(cheap e-core design filter) and PF46 and PF61 (good)

Black
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Don't forget guys, most of the AC Delco filters went to the E-core design and are no longer considered a "good" filter. If your local store still stocks the old style then its a good one. The E-core filters are usually labeled with an "e" at the end of the part number. For example PF46e or PF61e(cheap e-core design filter) and PF46 and PF61 (good)
    Good info for everyone....

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

it is also good to stick with one brand of oil... for example lets say your painting a wall and the color you pick is silver(Valvoline) well you decide that silver isnt the color you want so you go yellow(Pensoil) so you strip off the silver and paint it yellow. then you say that yellow is not a good color so you go purple(Royal Purple) so you strip off the yellow then and paint it purple....

oil is like a color of the inside of your engine because they use different types of additives and they want to "paint" your engine "their" color... like Valvoline wants to paint the engine silver(for example) well then you pick to change your oil and go Pensoil which wants your engine to be yellow, well its going to fight with the Valvoline's additives stripping it from your engine to paint it yellow and so on... thats not good for your engine/oil...

i personally pick Valvoline full synthetic 10w-30 and will run any filter except for a fram(or like fram(E-Core)) once your pick your brand of oil stick with it!!!

Black
    2000 WS6

Hmmmm. I gotta think about that one....

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

MY00Z28, what is going on with Fram filters ? I have been using them for many years without an issue. Am I missing something ? If so I will start using K & N oil filters. Get back to me when you can.

Seems this stuff is constantly changing. Fram filters has a new extended guard filter out now, and critics seem to like it. It basically looks like a Wix on the inside to me.
    I generally use a Fram or a Wix. Still priced reasonable for the quality. Mobil and K&N's are priced too high to interest me, since it's only on the car for a very short period (2-3,000 mile max) in my case.

I switch around on some oils depending on prices. I like Valvoline, and always buy the full synthetic brand for the LS engines (or any roller engine). But lately the 5 quart jugs have gone up in price to the point it's not such a deal anymore. Used to be $19 a jug, then $21, then $24.95. Now it's $29 a jug at Walmart. That's getting near the price of individual quarts, and is now the same price as Mobil 1. Just getting too expensive for something that isn't in the crank case very long.
    So I've since switched to Penzoil Platnum for the roller engines. I can buy a 5 quart jug of that at Walmart for $24.95.

On my flat tappet engines I prefer something with more Zinc and Phosphorous (ZDDP). It's recommended at least 1,200 PPM for a flat tappet engine, especially something with high spring pressures ( I have a couple that fit that description)
    For those engines I still use Valvoline Racing oil VR1. Being a racing blend they aren't conforming to the current ZDDP restrictions because it's labeled as an off road oil. There are other similar oils like Brad Penn that have even higher concentrates of ZDDP but it's pricey and hard to obtain.
    I can get the Valvoline racing oil on sale for $2.99 a quart so I still use it for certain applications.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Really when it comes to Fram, this is why I don't run them.
    (This is just a picture I found online)

(Cardboard end-caps?)
    I know they have changed with the extended guard filter but I still wont run one!
    Also Fram just had a recall on one of their filters for leaking... P/N: PH3614 (Which we were just throwing away so I grabbed two of them to cut open to see for my self, will post pictures of what I find sometime soon)

Filters for me i wont run a k&n unless it goes with the oil change special I get.... I run the filter that is on sale with my Valvoline Full Synthetic... Bosch Distance Plus, Mobile1, Purolator Pure One, or K&N...

That Fram is the original style, although I see some differences inside since the last one I cut open. The extended guard is what I was referring to though. Those are made just like your Wix or K&N filters now.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

That's why I said I know that they have changed....

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Thanx for the info. Hopefully the stores won't phase out the good filters for the E-cores.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Thanx for the info. Hopefully the stores won't phase out the good filters for the E-cores.
    they don't have a choice. They don't make the 'good' ones anymore. Except for the PF48 that the newer LS-based engines take (2007 and up I think). That filter is still the good quality style.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I guess I will be using Purolator from now on then.

Thread Information