Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Oil Catch Can and Other Solutions

This is a discussion on Oil Catch Can and Other Solutions within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Elite Engineering. It is a quality piece....

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Elite Engineering. It is a quality piece.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Where is your lower hose routed to? I thought it was supposed to go to the intake manifold?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Where is your lower hose routed to? I thought it was supposed to go to the intake manifold?
    Looks like it is to me, the lower hose.

I think most people put the can before the hose, that might be throwing you off.
    Last edited by Whamhammer; 11-13-2016 at 10:09 AM.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Hmmm... Both hoses appear to be running between the passenger side cylinder head and the manifold...? I thought that the lower hose was supposed to attach at the front of the manifold, just below the TB.

Incidentally, I STILL have not got mine hooked up yet because, apparently, I have a "unique" set up that I cannot find any pictures of whatsoever. So the can is just sitting their mounted with no hoses.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Hmmm... Both hoses appear to be running between the passenger side cylinder head and the manifold...? I thought that the lower hose was supposed to attach at the front of the manifold, just below the TB.

Incidentally, I STILL have not got mine hooked up yet because, apparently, I have a "unique" set up that I cannot find any pictures of whatsoever. So the can is just sitting their mounted with no hoses.
    Why not keep the stock hoses on, and splice just before the PCV valve, so the PCV valve is on the "clean" side?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Because I have no idea what that even means... :P
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Because I have no idea what that even means... :P
    Look at PAJEFFs pick' at the top of the page, see how the PCV valve is routed before the can? That side is the "dirty" side because the can hasn't "cleaned" the air yet. If you run a junction barb after cutting the hose before the PCV valve, run a hose to the can, run another hose, and another junction barn to the pcv hose "housing", and the hook the rest up like normal, the PCV valve should only get clean air going through it.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Thanks for the explanation, Scott.

My problem stems from this being my daily, and I don't know if yanking the PCV out of the hose and cutting here or there will mess it up. I followed the instructions that came with it, but they seemed to assume that the installer has a working knowledge of the PCV system (which I don't).

The way my mind works would require me to understand the following things:

Which (top or bottom) fitting flows into the can and which flows out?

I want the cleaned air to flow into the intake (right?), but should the PCV valve be on the clean side or the dirty side (what does the valve do? where does it send the air, and which direction is it flowing).

Why don't I need one on the driver's side cyl head?

As I ask these questions, my brain is reasoning that the oily air flows from the cyl heads (through joined/spliced tubing) into the can, and then is filtered, flowing out of the can into the intake. But why does the PCV valve seem to route behind the intake, rather than to it (under the TB) after being hooked up to the can?

Does the air flow from bottom of can to top, or top to bottom?

My assumption is that flow should go like this: Cyl heads > PCV valve > Can (in) >Filter > Can (out) > Intake manifold. So which side is "out"? Top or bottom?

And, as for the PCV valve, can I just yank it out of the stock fitment and plug it into the new hose leading to the can, or do I risk breaking it? Any tools needed to remove it safely?

Like I was saying, my set up doesn't seem to be accounted for in the write ups I've looked at. I'll see if I can get some pics posted up tomorrow or Thurs.

So normally, I would have edited this down as I reasoned my way through it, but I'll leave it all original to document the kind of "struggles" I have when trying to work on my car.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

As for Jeff's pic, here's what I think I'm looking at:

The passenger side cylinder head at the 1 o' clock position, with the intake/TB being off camera around 4 o' clock. This is why I asked why neither hose routes there.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Thanks for the explanation, Scott.

My problem stems from this being my daily, and I don't know if yanking the PCV out of the hose and cutting here or there will mess it up. I followed the instructions that came with it, but they seemed to assume that the installer has a working knowledge of the PCV system (which I don't).

The way my mind works would require me to understand the following things:

Which (top or bottom) fitting flows into the can and which flows out?

I want the cleaned air to flow into the intake (right?), but should the PCV valve be on the clean side or the dirty side (what does the valve do? where does it send the air, and which direction is it flowing).

Why don't I need one on the driver's side cyl head?

As I ask these questions, my brain is reasoning that the oily air flows from the cyl heads (through joined/spliced tubing) into the can, and then is filtered, flowing out of the can into the intake. But why does the PCV valve seem to route behind the intake, rather than to it (under the TB) after being hooked up to the can?

Does the air flow from bottom of can to top, or top to bottom?

My assumption is that flow should go like this: Cyl heads > PCV valve > Can (in) >Filter > Can (out) > Intake manifold. So which side is "out"? Top or bottom?

And, as for the PCV valve, can I just yank it out of the stock fitment and plug it into the new hose leading to the can, or do I risk breaking it? Any tools needed to remove it safely?

Like I was saying, my set up doesn't seem to be accounted for in the write ups I've looked at. I'll see if I can get some pics posted up tomorrow or Thurs.

So normally, I would have edited this down as I reasoned my way through it, but I'll leave it all original to document the kind of "struggles" I have when trying to work on my car.
    You should be able to open the can and see the internals. The way mine works is the in is on top, the filter (steel wool) is near the top and in a "cage", the outlet is on the body of the can. Your order is correct with one exception, you can delete the pcv or I've seen where they put the pcv after the catch can but before the intake.

The pic that Jeff posted is usually the only way they are setup.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    You should be able to open the can and see the internals. The way mine works is the in is on top, the filter (steel wool) is near the top and in a "cage", the outlet is on the body of the can. Your order is correct with one exception, you can delete the pcv or I've seen where they put the pcv after the catch can but before the intake.

The pic that Jeff posted is usually the only way they are setup.
    The reason why I suggested having the PCV on the "clean side" is to minimize the amount of oil, and moisture getting to the PCV valve. It shouldn't be hard to splice and insert, just a longer hose on the intake side.

Navy Blue Metallic

I can say that I have the LS6 VCT mod that I can almost delete the catch can. The PCV is on the bottome of the VCT, inside the engine and it has seriously cut down on any oil blow by. I only see some and I mean very, very little after heavy track night. Other then that I could go 3-4 months with out draining the can.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I can say that I have the LS6 VCT mod that I can almost delete the catch can. The PCV is on the bottome of the VCT, inside the engine and it has seriously cut down on any oil blow by. I only see some and I mean very, very little after heavy track night. Other then that I could go 3-4 months with out draining the can.
    I can't speak for anyone else but I would only buy the LS6 VCT when I do my rebuild. I have no intentions of taking my intake off until I really need to.

Navy Blue Metallic

With you being a 02 block you won't have to worry about notching the block like you would for 97-00 blocks. It really is a simple mod and only takes about an hour tops. I would recommend doing it at the same time of doing the knock sensors. You have to do the same work. And if you have a 97-98 get the 99< knock sensors and a 99< wire harness. They are a better sensor over the 97-98 knock sensors.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

So, I'm going to try and tackle this today. Can I just yank the PCV valve out of the line without it breaking? Is it designed to just pull off? Are there tabs or retention devices under the hose/fitting that I can't see?

Navy Blue Metallic

This thread should answer some of your questions

PCV Valve Recommendation / Housing Modification

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information