Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Oil Catch Can and Other Solutions

So, I've ordered a catch can to address the oil consumption issue I'm having. However, I've recently come to understand that oil which makes it into the manifold can also get into the cylinder, coat the pistons, affect compression and cause detonation.

As of right now, I don't seem to have a problem, however, I can also imagine that if oil is making it into the cylinder, it could be fouling the plugs (and leading to that low rpm sputter that I've been experiencing).

My overall plan is to install the can, replace the plugs and clean out the manifold/cylinders. But I'm not sure if that's even possible. Will something like Seafoam clean oil out of the manifold/cylinder? Or if not, what will?

I have recently run throttle body cleaner through the intake, but not sure if it does the same thing as something like Seafoam.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Seafoam is a bit harsh in my opinion. I would install the catch can, clean the throttle body and run TCW3 in the fuel.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Seafoam is a bit harsh in my opinion. I would install the catch can, clean the throttle body and run TCW3 in the fuel.
    I have to agree with Jeff, the seafoam it is a bit harsh and it does work but you have to be careful using it. I recently used it with my F150 and I started noticing that now have a little of white smoke coming out of the pipe every time I crank my truck. It was not happening before that and it been at least a month. Once I learned about the marine 2 cycle oil TCW3 I don't use the seafoam that much. I have been using since then.
    1998 TA 130k A4, LS6 intake, TunedByFrost, Airlid, AIR and EGR delete, Borla exhaust, front Eibach lowering springs, LS6 valley cover, UMI TQ arm, UMI LCA's, UMI panhard bar, Poly engine mounts, BMR relocation brackets, Blistein HD shocks and struts, Oil catch can, Autotrix window fix.

Now I have an 2001 F150 5.4L

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I have to agree with Jeff, the seafoam it is a bit harsh and it does work but you have to be careful using it. I recently used it with my F150 and I started noticing that now have a little of white smoke coming out of the pipe every time I crank my truck. It was not happening before that and it been at least a month. Once I learned about the marine 2 cycle oil TCW3 I don't use the seafoam that much. I have been using since then.
    I used TCW3 in the last engine religiously. Now, I put some in every 3rd or 4th fill up. I've used Seafoam once before (previous engine) and didn't have any problems. But, as with everything having to do with cars, I'd expect there to be some variation between samples.

The can should be here today, so I can install it and get some more data on the goings on inside the engine.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I got the can and attempted to install it. After reviewing the insatallation instructions and looking at pics online, I concluded that I did it incorrectly.

I cannot figure out where the hose from the top fitting routes to. I can see that it goes toward the back of the engine, but I can't find any pics of where the other end goes.

In the I've seen, I also cannot tell what has happend to the original PCV hose (the one that connects to the intake manifold), or the grounding strap in the pics.

I'm not sure if the issue I'm having is an F-body vs. Corvette thing, either.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    I got the can and attempted to install it. After reviewing the insatallation instructions and looking at pics online, I concluded that I did it incorrectly.

I cannot figure out where the hose from the top fitting routes to. I can see that it goes toward the back of the engine, but I can't find any pics of where the other end goes.

In the I've seen, I also cannot tell what has happend to the original PCV hose (the one that connects to the intake manifold), or the grounding strap in the pics.

I'm not sure if the issue I'm having is an F-body vs. Corvette thing, either.
    Do you have what it almost looks like a "U" shaped hose on the front left side to the intake? This hose comes from the intake straight into a small pipe right on top of the valley cover. Here is a picture of it: 1st picture on this write up

Corvette Oil Catch Can install

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

No, I don't. On the drawing of the pre-2003 set up (scrolling down), I have what is shown there. It looks as though the grounding strap is supposed to be bolted onto the upper fitting...?

I'll try to upload a pic later on. The hose coming off of the intake manifold routs all the way back along side the fuel rail. The one coming off the throttle body routes to the passenger side cylinder head.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Did you followed the pcv valve hose? The one you saying that goes next to the fuel rail should have a pulge on the hose on the passenger side fuel rail. it loops around behind the the air intake into the top rear part of the driver side valve cover into a grommet.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 10-23-2016 at 07:10 AM.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Whats is the concern about Seafoam? Melting to intake?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Did you followed the pcv valve hose? The one you saying that goes next to the fuel rail should have a pulge on the hose on the passenger side fuel rail. it loops around behind the the air intake into the top rear part of the driver side valve cover into a grommet.
    Yeah. I pulled that hose off, but I don't see a way to connect it to the catch can.

This is what I have going on:

488_ls1_pcv.jpg
    Last edited by Naaman; 10-23-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yeah. I pulled that hose off, but I don't see a way to connect it to the catch can.

This is what I have going on:

488_ls1_pcv.jpg
    I see. You have the version with the pcv closer to the TB. You may have to remove the pcv and install it further back even if you have to cut the tubing. The ground strap is not important. You can then buy longer hose to finish the connection with the can.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Hm... Okay. Thanks for the input. It feels like the external tubing after the PCV is just insulation, and there is another inner tube that is probably rubber because it flexes.

Does the PCV come right out or will I need tools to separate it?

Gonna try and consult Youtube to see if I can figure it out.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

It is a plastic tube as far as i remember.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Whats is the concern about Seafoam? Melting to intake?

It is a fairly harsh chemical solvent. There are simply gentler methods.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I have heard of running seafoam through the fuel tank. Any thoughts on that?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I have heard of running seafoam through the fuel tank. Any thoughts on that?
    Yes it can be added to the fuel tank as well is. I just add a bottle techtron on every oil change.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I use Chevron almost exclusively, so... I guess I'm good to go. :P

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Would a double catch-can application ne better for our cars? If so, who makes the more quality units?
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Overkill imo. Just go with a quality catch can and you'll be fine.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Overkill imo. Just go with a quality catch can and you'll be fine.
    Any suggestions?

Thread Information