Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Oil???????????

This is a discussion on Oil??????????? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ...

Post The 3,000 mile oil change is a MYTH

Quote Originally Posted by egod View Post
    When did the 3mo/3k mi rules change? When products became better? Anyone else do it every six months? just curious

California Integrated Waste Management Board

DEBUNKED – The 3,000 mile oil change is a MYTH- link

“Conventional wisdom has held that the oil should be changed about every 3,000 miles. This notion has been ingrained into people's heads for decades, in part as a marketing ploy by oil companies. The 3,000-mile interval made sense when engines used single-grade nondetergent oils. But with the latest oils and car designs, it's no longer necessary to change oil that often under normal driving conditions.” –Steve Ritter, in Chemical & Engineering News, March 13, 2006

Question: Why are Amsoil Motor Oils capable of extended drain intervals?

Answer: "AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils are highly resistant to the destructive effects of heat, and do not break down like petroleum oils. This means that AMSOIL Motor Oils can provide much longer drain intervals than conventional lubricants." - AMSOIL, INC.

CompSyn

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

It's a good post but there are two problems, one, California Integrated Waste Management Board isn't providing proof and amsoil's claim can be bias.

I guess I will have to do some research cause I know the auto industry still maintains the 3,000 mi rule, but who is to say that they don't have their own agenda too

Post It's been done...

It's a good post but there are two problems, one, California Integrated Waste Management Board isn't providing proof and amsoil's claim can be bias.

I guess I will have to do some research cause I know the auto industry still maintains the 3,000 mi rule, but who is to say that they don't have their own agenda too
    Independent person, independent lab…

Honda S2000, Amsoil 0W- 30, 30,726-miles - link

CompSyn

Awaiting Activation

black
    2002 Trans Am

When did the 3mo/3k mi rules change? When products became better? Anyone else do it every six months? just curious

Dunno when it changed. I have a 1980 Honda CBX motorcycle. The owner's manual says to change the oil once a year. The service manager at the local Honda cycle shop confirms this. So, once a year, right before winter storage, I change the oil and filter, using motorcycle specific oil. Been doing this for 17 years with this cycle. It is still running strong, 29 years old with once a year oil changes.

My Buick Park Avenue has an oil life indicator. You're supposed to reset it at each oil change. It starts at 100 percent, and counts down. You're supposed to change the oil at 10 percent. I don't let it go below 50 percent, which is way early, but that still ends up to be about 6 months during the summer.

For the TA, the owner's manual says to change the oil at least once a year. I change it twice a year at the suggestion of the oil Gurus on this forum. That apparently cuts down on the condensation build up.

Don't get me wrong, I used to change my oil every 3/3000 religiously. But, with owning multiple vehicles, and the price of motor oil increasing at an alarming rate, I had to really look into this.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

A hundred miles or less per year????

Where do you drive it.....around the block???

Your engine never gets a chance o burn off any impurities in the oil.....I'd buy dino oil & change it monthly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information