Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

OIL!

This is a discussion on OIL! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by TransAm11973 well thats why "harden" is in quotes....its not the literal meaning of harden.......0w-30 will move in ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    well thats why "harden" is in quotes....its not the literal meaning of harden.......0w-30 will move in the engine easier than a 10w-30 at cold temps....this is due to the flow rate of the specific oil at a certain temp....go to the amsoil website each oil has all the numbers there for you to see shearing, pour points, etc...0w-30 will get to your engine parts faster than a 10w-30 in cold weather, but like i said 0w seems to shear a bit more than 5w or 10w does according to the test numbers
    lol dude i know. you dont need to explain to me. i just like how you said harden lol

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    lol dude i know. you dont need to explain to me. i just like how you said harden lol
    ok haha my bad......he said hard

red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    +1 I agree I live in southern PA, and ran 5-30w moble 1, just changed my last week. now I'm running castrol sytec 10-30w.
    where in PA are you? in just out of Greencastle

I live in Lititz PA its around lancaster. which im not sure how far that is from u?

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by AB'sLs1 View Post
    I live in Lititz PA its around lancaster. which im not sure how far that is from u?
    about an hour. im just off I81 and Maryland state line

red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    its not that the oil is any "thinner" it just doesnt "harden" as much as it gets colder so it flows better on cod starts...but you need to do your research on the 0w-30 b/c they usually tend to shear a bit more than the 5w and 10w-30......personally I use Amsoil everything oil, filter, etc.....Amsoil 5w-30 full synth in winter and 10w-30 full synth in winter.........i just did an amsoil engine flush and intake manifold etc foam about 1500 miles ago....along with oil flushing after that.......so far the oil is as clear as it was when I put it in.......

when u say shear what do u mean?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

shearing means that when an oil is a film(between bearings or 2 metal surfaces) it shears, (the film breaking). thus letting the metal surfaces come in contact. that equal no bueno.

well that is the way i have come to understand

red
    1998 Z28

hey thanks guys.

Now one more question about royal purple. they say that it increase horsepower and torque but what ive heard from friends of mine is that the oil film is just thinner causeing metal to metal contact at higher rpms. i was just wonder what you guys know on the subject?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Royal purple sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

seriously dont waste your money

red
    1998 Z28

whats the problem with it? i just bought some like an hour ago becuase there must have been a sale cuz they didnt have any mobile1 or castrol so i had to buy that.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Take it back & get Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 & a quality filter.....& quit believing bullshit you see on TV

red
    1998 Z28

thats all advanced auto had in the store and i needed to change the oil. so whats the problem with it? i just wanna know cuz i put it in my 305 camaro and i didnt have a problem with it

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Geezus.....you can get PP, Castrol, & M1 at Walmart.

Royal Purple is wayyy expensive & it has crappy shear strength. In other words it costs MORE & protects LESS.

red
    1998 Z28

whatever u say boss

red
    1998 Z28

does anyone else whos not going to be a dick have an oppinion

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

well it is true about it having bad shear strength.....its not very good oil, doesnt protect where it counts........Penzoil plat is great because its cheaper and has great shear strength and UOA results from what i have seen

None

does anyone else whos not going to be a dick have an oppinion
    It is probably just smack?

Some people here are not as cool as others... on making there point!
    Take everything with a grain of salt, and this site rocks.
    Peace Out!

red
    1998 Z28

At one point in time everyone asked questions and the people who answer the questions should remember that at one point in time they had to of asked the same question to know that answer. now i appreciate when people answer my questions and give me logical reasons behind the answers. now i love this site its been very helpful to me and the people here r helping another generation of gear heads learn and i respect that. so thanks to everyone who has givin me information in one way or another!

now back on topic...transam11973 u said that u dont like like royal purple. im assuming because of it being prone to shearing. how bad is it? and when would u say it likes to shear...high rpms, high temps, on cold start....?

hugger orange

At one point in time everyone asked questions and the people who answer the questions should remember that at one point in time they had to of asked the same question to know that answer. now i appreciate when people answer my questions and give me logical reasons behind the answers. now i love this site its been very helpful to me and the people here r helping another generation of gear heads learn and i respect that. so thanks to everyone who has givin me information in one way or another!

now back on topic...transam11973 u said that u dont like like royal purple. im assuming because of it being prone to shearing. how bad is it? and when would u say it likes to shear...high rpms, high temps, on cold start....?
    i know some of their claims seem to be over the top(might just be my opinion)
    and there were "multipule and unknown variables" during their "indpendent lab testing" that could have easily squed the results.

back off topic again. hey AB's im right there with you man, i still have alot to learn, but love sharing my knowledge if i can help someone else

hugger orange

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information