Results 1 to 20 of 20

Odometer LCD - memory?

This is a discussion on Odometer LCD - memory? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Does anyone know where the memory of the car's mileage is held? Is it within the LCD unit itself? I ...

  1. #1
    Member 666ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Age
    44
    Posts
    427

    NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

    Odometer LCD - memory?

    Does anyone know where the memory of the car's mileage is held? Is it within the LCD unit itself?

    I have another cluster from a junkyard and wondered if I swapped out the individual LCD panel to get rid of the red color would that work and keep my mileage?

  2. #2
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by 666ws6 View Post
    Does anyone know where the memory of the car's mileage is held? Is it within the LCD unit itself?

    I have another cluster from a junkyard and wondered if I swapped out the individual LCD panel to get rid of the red color would that work and keep my mileage?
    PCM

  3. #3
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    the mileage is kept in the cluster itself....not sure where at in the cluster though as I've never had mine out. I'm also pretty sure it's kept in the pcm also but if you swap clusters it will show the donors mileage.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rhinohuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    1,460

    Black
    1999 Trans Am

    yep we've swapped out clusters before. Shows the donor cluster's mileage.

  5. #5
    Member squee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Age
    27
    Posts
    952

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

    You can change the color of the LCD without changing the LCD itself.

  6. #6
    Member 666ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Age
    44
    Posts
    427

    NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

    Squee, can you give details... I've tried to take it apart, but didn't see an easy separation.

    But if you are all right, I could change the LCD display itself, retain the same cluster and be ok. I'll have to try that this weekend.

    I've been exchanging PCMs without loss of my mileage, so I don't think the PCM retains it unless it's in the program somehow.

  7. #7
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by 666ws6 View Post
    Squee, can you give details... I've tried to take it apart, but didn't see an easy separation.

    But if you are all right, I could change the LCD display itself, retain the same cluster and be ok. I'll have to try that this weekend.

    I've been exchanging PCMs without loss of my mileage, so I don't think the PCM retains it unless it's in the program somehow.
    You can always pull the vehicle mileage off the PCM, fail safe incase the guage cluster takes a shit on you, the mileage can still be pulled and programmed in.

    2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

    2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

    2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

    2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

  8. #8
    Member squee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Age
    27
    Posts
    952

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 666ws6 View Post
    Squee, can you give details... I've tried to take it apart, but didn't see an easy separation.

    But if you are all right, I could change the LCD display itself, retain the same cluster and be ok. I'll have to try that this weekend.

    I've been exchanging PCMs without loss of my mileage, so I don't think the PCM retains it unless it's in the program somehow.
    I'm looking for the article again, but I i remember seeing someone change them to blue. The LCD it uses doesn't have a backlight like a monitor, cellphone, etc. Instead, it has a LED that serves as the backlight. If you pull it apart, you should see some SMDs, or small LEDs.

    EDIT: Here is the link.
    Last edited by squee; 10-16-2008 at 03:36 PM.

  9. #9
    Single Malt rbob93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Age
    69
    Posts
    2,707

    Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    yep we've swapped out clusters before. Shows the donor cluster's mileage.
    Been there done that so....+1

  10. #10
    Junior Member 99Firehawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Age
    38
    Posts
    45

    Black
    1999 TransAmSexual

    I swaped out a completely diffrent PCM from another car and the milege did not change, I know for a fact that its not stored in the pcm.
    It is stored in the cluster for sure.

  11. #11
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by 99Firehawk View Post
    I swaped out a completely diffrent PCM from another car and the milege did not change, I know for a fact that its not stored in the pcm.
    It is stored in the cluster for sure.
    it's stored in the cluster for sure but I *think* it's also stored in the pcm and requires a tech2 to pull it. I'm not sure on that, just seems like I remember reading that somewhere.

  12. #12
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    it's stored in the cluster for sure but I *think* it's also stored in the pcm and requires a tech2 to pull it. I'm not sure on that, just seems like I remember reading that somewhere.
    You are exactly correct. It may not reflect what is shown on the dash but you can always pull the mileage from the PCM.

  13. #13
    Member 666ws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Age
    44
    Posts
    427

    NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

    DO you know what exact part of the cluster holds the mileage? I didn't get a chance to change the display, but I still want to and was hoping the mileage would stay, but I'd gain the LCD color change.

  14. #14
    Member squee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Age
    27
    Posts
    952

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 666ws6 View Post
    DO you know what exact part of the cluster holds the mileage? I didn't get a chance to change the display, but I still want to and was hoping the mileage would stay, but I'd gain the LCD color change.
    I posted the link on how to change the color...Its just a couple SMDs. Most replace them with LEDs and grind them down to fit. Not hard and no need to change the LCD. It would be the same color anyway. So I'm pretty sure, even if you changed the LCD, you won't change the color.

  15. #15
    Junior Member 99Firehawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Age
    38
    Posts
    45

    Black
    1999 TransAmSexual

    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    You are exactly correct. It may not reflect what is shown on the dash but you can always pull the mileage from the PCM.
    All I can say is that I personally took out my PCM and replaced it with one from another car, did'nt do anything else at all, and milege remained the same on the dash.

  16. #16
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by 99Firehawk View Post
    All I can say is that I personally took out my PCM and replaced it with one from another car, did'nt do anything else at all, and milege remained the same on the dash.
    That's why I think it doesn't involve the display, but you can still get the mileage from it. We do it all the time at my shop, so when clusters go bad you can still pull the mileage from the PCM.

  17. #17
    Junior Member 99Firehawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Age
    38
    Posts
    45

    Black
    1999 TransAmSexual

    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    That's why I think it doesn't involve the display, but you can still get the mileage from it. We do it all the time at my shop, so when clusters go bad you can still pull the mileage from the PCM.

    But if the PCM holds the milege, then why didnt the milege changein my car when I installed a new pcm from a diffrent car?

    In other words, if the pcm holds the milege then why doesnt my car show the milege from the donor car that I got my PCM from?

  18. #18
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by 99Firehawk View Post
    But if the PCM holds the milege, then why didnt the milege changein my car when I installed a new pcm from a diffrent car?

    In other words, if the pcm holds the milege then why doesnt my car show the milege from the donor car that I got my PCM from?
    It stores it to be pulled from a computer manually. Not to show on the gauge cluster since that itself has it's own memory.

  19. #19
    Junior Member 99Firehawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Age
    38
    Posts
    45

    Black
    1999 TransAmSexual

    ahh
    I get it.

    Hurst M6, 3.42 auburn, free mods, Lid, Port & Polish TB, Alum. Flywheel, Centre force DF, CMC "drill mod", LS6 intake, SLP 3" exh., Custom Tune, pully, composite hood, TR6's and MSD's, 160' thermo, Strut brace, SFC's, Koni SA's, Eibach's, alum. driveshaft, PCV mod, 110 MPH w\system, HID's

  20. #20
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by 99Firehawk View Post
    ahh
    I get it.

    Great!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Adj Odometer.
    By EatATree in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2010, 06:59 PM
  2. odometer question
    By chevyboy82188 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-20-2009, 03:05 PM
  3. odometer backlight out!
    By daveb91 in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2007, 07:50 PM
  4. Odometer Pic
    By Rhinohuey in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 04:31 PM
  5. odometer fraud?
    By third_shift|studios in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-15-2007, 06:16 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •