Thread: Odd Clunk Noise

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Odd Clunk Noise

Im getting an odd clunk in the drivetrain. It happens if you punch it off the line one sharp clunk, then put it into reverse same thing one sharp clunk. If you take off it will clunk and then slam the brakes it will clunk again as you come to a stop. It feels as if its right below the shifter and sounds like it as well. I have all the suspension mods below and recently installed a BMR torque arm relocation bracket with a new gm motor mount (I had a poly one though it or the arm on the tailshaft could be the problem) but alas it still does it. Please help is really annoying. Its almost as if its the body flexing and popping or something like its expanding and contracting against something it doesnt like...

Mods:
    TR224 114 LSA, LS6 Intake, LS2 Chain Gears & Trays, LS7 Lifters, Manley PRs, PAC Springs, SLP Ported/Shimmed Oil Pump, SLP SS Hood Grille & Spoiler, ZR1 Wheels, SLP Lid, K&N Panel, SLP Bilstein Strut Spring Package with Koni 3 Rears, 1LE Front Sway, Circle D 3200 Stall, PS LTs & Y, Magnaflow Cat-Back, BMR Adjustable Torque Arm, LCAs and Panhard, UMI SFC, TUNED BY JJS PERFORMANCE, Sonar Projectors HID, Pioneer AVH-4000 HU, All Infinity Speakers, MTX Thunderform.
    Last edited by Camaro98Z/28; 03-18-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Have you checked transmission mount?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro98Z/28 View Post
    Im getting an odd clunk in the drivetrain. It happens if you punch it off the line one sharp clunk, then put it into reverse same thing one sharp clunk. If you take off it will clunk and then slam the brakes it will clunk again as you come to a stop. It feels as if its right below the shifter and sounds like it as well. I have all the suspension mods below and recently installed a BMR torque arm relocation bracket with a new gm motor mount (I had a poly one though it or the arm on the tailshaft could be the problem) but alas it still does it. Please help is really annoying. Its almost as if its the body flexing and popping or something like its expanding and contracting against something it doesnt like...

Mods:
    TR224 114 LSA, LS6 Intake, LS2 Chain Gears & Trays, LS7 Lifters, Manley PRs, PAC Springs, SLP Ported/Shimmed Oil Pump, SLP SS Hood Grille & Spoiler, ZR1 Wheels, SLP Lid, K&N Panel, SLP Bilstein Strut Spring Package with Koni 3 Rears, 1LE Front Sway, Circle D 3200 Stall, PS LTs & Y, Magnaflow Cat-Back, BMR Adjustable Torque Arm, LCAs and Panhard, UMI SFC, TUNED BY JJS PERFORMANCE, Sonar Projectors HID, Pioneer AVH-4000 HU, All Infinity Speakers, MTX Thunderform.
    sounds like the tranny or torque arm mount

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Yes as I said it made the noise so i swapped out the poly mount with a new GM mount and BMR torque arm relocation bracket. Still there. It started it all of a sudden it wasnt after I did a mod or anything.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Bump for my sanity. I'll pay if someone's local to Pittsburgh and can help.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

How about a bad u-joint?

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Moog ujoints about 2-3 mths old.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Not too much else it can be -- trans mount, torque arm mount, u-joint... I would say exhaust, but then it should be hitting on bumps and such and not just when you change directions or take off. Just to be safe, check the joints as "new" does not always mean "good".

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Thanks, I will try replacing them again

Are Brute any good?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Is the torque arm adjustable? Did you set the pinion angle correctly?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Put the car on a lift. Something is definately loose or out of adjustment.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Yes it is an adjustable torque arm. I didnt have an angle finder to set it just right but it was installed for a few months before the issue and it started well after it was installed. I then replaced the rear end (had 2.73 now 3.42) and it did it before with the old rear end and now with the "new" rear end so I dont think its an issue with the tail. It feels as if its right below the shifter...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would get yourself an angle finder and see where you are. A pinion angle not set right will cause your u-joints to wear prematurely. It will also cause drive-train vibration.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

from what I read so far it sounds like you might have a bad U joint like Jeff mentioned. I agree with 35th, if you didn't set the pinion angle with your new torque arm it will damage the u joints. Check the U joints and make sure all the bolts are tight including the ones in the rear end (where the TQ arm connects).
    Post your findings.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Will update as soon as I know. Just don't get it as is seems right over the console not really like its in the back driveshaft area.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro98Z/28 View Post
    Will update as soon as I know. Just don't get it as is seems right over the console not really like its in the back driveshaft area.
    Some vibrations can be felt in that area if they are transmitted by the TQ arm, the driveshaft is connected to the tranny which it close the console area. The most common console feeling clunk is a bad trans mount or incorrect height mount/pinion angle. I also had a crossmember to relocate the TQ to the crossmember instead of the tail piece. I ended up getting rid of it because I was feeling all the road vibrations transmitted thru the chassis. I ended up with an UMI OEM style TQ arm and a poly bushing. That set up worked for me.

In my case I had the clunk and it was a bad trans mount. You couldn't see it unless I jack the rear of the trans alittle. I decided to buy the poly one and it made everything worse. Bad console and dash vibrations at all speeds. I ended up buying the GM trans mount and problems solved. It turned out the poly mount was taller than the GM one throwing off the pinion angle which created the vibrations. That was my experience. Im not saying its your case but check everything you have done so far. A new part could fail fairly soon if it had bad QC from the manufacture or components around it are not set properly.

Let us know.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I had a "clunk" at acceleration, and I needed to re torque my BMR LCA's.

SteveC

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Well spent most of the day and cannot figure it out. Anyone around pittsburgh pa that could help I'd really appreciate it.

Thread Information