Pewter Metallic
    2001 Trans Am WS.6

Question Odd brake noises

I have a couple of odd brake noises that I cant figure out what it is.

The first noise is like a metallic scratching sound, but it isnt continual. It skips, at a regular beat. Almost like a cd skipping sound, like tch tch tch. It doesnt do it all the time, but it does more that it doesnt. Especially when brakes are applied lightly to moderatly. Theres sometimes a slight shimmy/vibration in the wheel when it happens, so I am thinking the rotors have warped slightly. But I'm not sure.

2nd noise is really puzzling me. Its on the passenger side, so i cant nail it to fron or rear. Sunds like a rattling or very slight rubbing. Definity sounds metal on metal. I dont notice it when i hit the brakes. I only notice when i am driving slowly next to a parked car so it echoes back to me.

The brakes work fine, had about half pad life at the beginning of last summer.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

The first sound could be a warped rotor rubbing the brake pad, have no guesses on the second.

SteveC

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Matto4785
    I have a couple of odd brake noises that I cant figure out what it is.

The first noise is like a metallic scratching sound, but it isnt continual. It skips, at a regular beat. Almost like a cd skipping sound, like tch tch tch. It doesnt do it all the time, but it does more that it doesnt. Especially when brakes are applied lightly to moderatly. Theres sometimes a slight shimmy/vibration in the wheel when it happens, so I am thinking the rotors have warped slightly. But I'm not sure.

2nd noise is really puzzling me. Its on the passenger side, so i cant nail it to fron or rear. Sunds like a rattling or very slight rubbing. Definity sounds metal on metal. I dont notice it when i hit the brakes. I only notice when i am driving slowly next to a parked car so it echoes back to me.

The brakes work fine, had about half pad life at the beginning of last summer.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt
    First one sounds like a warped rotor like the other guy said...causing the pad to slightly rub the pad.

The second sounds like a loose caliper and/or a bearing...you need to find out where it's coming from. Does it kind of sound like a growl....or a howling sound?

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Trans Am WS.6

The second sounds like a loose caliper and/or a bearing...you need to find out where it's coming from. Does it kind of sound like a growl....or a howling sound?
    sounds almost like a rattling type sound. I need to find a empty parking lot and a buddy and drive around to see if i can pinpoint the noise.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Yea sounds more like a loose caliper....could also be coming from the interior, have someone ride in the back and see if they can pinpoint it.

Thread Information