The Rookie

Octane boosters?

What about octane boosters? Are they any good? are they worth the money? Are they harmful?

BlackHawk T/A
    Off-the-shelf bottles are a waste IMO, but you can try the following (at your own risk):

FORMULA 1
    Toulene
    R+M/2...114
    Cost...$2.50/gal
    Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
    10%...94.2 Octane
    20%...96.4 Octane
    30%...98.6 Octane
    Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

FORMULA 2
    Xylene
    R+M/2...117
    Cost...$2.75/gal
    10%...94.5 Octane
    20%...97.0 Octane
    30%...99.5 Octane
    Notes: Similar to Toulene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toulene and advertised as *race formula*.

FORMULA 3
    Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
    R+M/2...118
    Cost...$3.50/gal
    10%...94.6 Octane
    20%...97.2 Octane
    30%...99.8 Octane
    Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toulene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

FORMULA 4
    Methanol or Ethanol
    R+M/2...101
    Cost...$0.60 - $1.75/gal
    10%...94.3 Octane (Methanol)
    10%...94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
    20%...Not Recommended
    Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combines with water.

FORMULA 5
    Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
    R+M/2...101
    Cost...$0.60-$1.50/gal
    10%...94.5 Octane
    20%...Not Recommended
    30%...Not Recommended
    Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Yep, don't waste your money with those off-the-shelf bottles. They give way too little boost for way too much money.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Fry your spark plug tips are about all that shit is good for.

IMO it's worth it if you live in the middle of no where and your local gas station is the only one around and might be out of 93 octain. Say they happen to only have 87 Octain and are out of your sweet 93 nectar, oh god that sucks. Well throw in some booster. It doesn't actually raise the octain, it just helps the gas combust at what would be the level of octain their can says you will reach. It won't burn up your spark plugs, I will just leave a reddish tint on them from the maganiesse that aids detonation. If you throw it in 92 or 93 octain you will actually decrease your HP using the most common octain boosters.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    IMO it's worth it if you live in the middle of no where and your local gas station is the only one around and might be out of 93 octain. Say they happen to only have 87 Octain and are out of your sweet 93 nectar, oh god that sucks. Well throw in some booster. It doesn't actually raise the octain, it just helps the gas combust at what would be the level of octain their can says you will reach. It won't burn up your spark plugs, I will just leave a reddish tint on them from the maganiesse that aids detonation. If you throw it in 92 or 93 octain you will actually decrease your HP using the most common octain boosters.
    Are you smoking crack?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Are you smoking crack?
    No just a physics book. Octane is a rating of gas to measure the anti-knock quality of fuel. All the octane you need is to keep the engine from detonation or knock, a steady slow even burn is desierable.

An increase in the octane level will not increase your horsepower, no matter what Sarge tells you. The only way to take advantage of this octain increase is to advance your timing. However, insufficient octane can cause an engine to lose horsepower. All the octane you need is what your engine demands to keep from detonating.

An ounce of an effective octane booster should raise your octane rating by 2-1/2 numbers. That is, if you start with 86- octane gasoline, one ounce of booster to a gallon will take it to 88-1/2 octane.

One word of caution. Octane boosters decrease in effectiveness as their quantity increases. Just because one ounce gives you 2-1/2 numbers more, ten ounces will not give you 25 numbers.
    Here's a good scale of just about how decent octane boosters will work:

One ounce/per gallon ¼ 2-1/2 numbers increase

Two ounces/gallon ¼ 4-1/2 numbers increase

Three ounces/gallon ¼ 6 to 6 1/2 numbers increase

Four ounces/gallon ¼ 7 to 7 1/2 numbers increase

A good rule of thumb is that anything over three ounces per gallon is wasted. Some crazies dump in a whole can of booster, thinking they're going to get radical gains. Actually, they'll get a decrease in performance, as excessive ratios can cause the volatiles in the gas to deteriorate and excessive aromatics can make the engine run "heavy," or rich.

Smoking Crack or not, you're going to loose horsepower from this. I would like to refer you to a HotRod Magazine on the subject. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/72498/

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

No just a physics book. Octane is a rating of gas to measure the anti-knock quality of fuel. All the octane you need is to keep the engine from detonation or knock, a steady slow even burn is desierable.

An increase in the octane level will not increase your horsepower, no matter what Sarge tells you. The only way to take advantage of this octain increase is to advance your timing. However, insufficient octane can cause an engine to lose horsepower. All the octane you need is what your engine demands to keep from detonating.

An ounce of an effective octane booster should raise your octane rating by 2-1/2 numbers. That is, if you start with 86- octane gasoline, one ounce of booster to a gallon will take it to 88-1/2 octane.

One word of caution. Octane boosters decrease in effectiveness as their quantity increases. Just because one ounce gives you 2-1/2 numbers more, ten ounces will not give you 25 numbers.
    Here's a good scale of just about how decent octane boosters will work:

One ounce/per gallon ¼ 2-1/2 numbers increase

Two ounces/gallon ¼ 4-1/2 numbers increase

Three ounces/gallon ¼ 6 to 6 1/2 numbers increase

Four ounces/gallon ¼ 7 to 7 1/2 numbers increase

A good rule of thumb is that anything over three ounces per gallon is wasted. Some crazies dump in a whole can of booster, thinking they're going to get radical gains. Actually, they'll get a decrease in performance, as excessive ratios can cause the volatiles in the gas to deteriorate and excessive aromatics can make the engine run "heavy," or rich.

Smoking Crack or not, you're going to loose horsepower from this. I would like to refer you to a HotRod Magazine on the subject. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/72498/
    What in the hell are you babling about? I never said an increase in shit would increase nothing. Good God almighty son....put the fucking pipe down. Are you talking to yourself?

You ammuse me sarge, 50% of your posts on this forum sound like you have something up your...... Are you sure you're not the one with the pipe problem?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You ammuse me sarge, 50% of your posts on this forum sound like you have something up your...... Are you sure you're not the one with the pipe problem?
    50% huh...OK ....who are you talking to and about what? Are you arguing with yourself? OK...your the man...let the forum have the say...not me.
    Please learn how to spell when your discussing hypothetical nonsense with yourself will ya? Peace.....

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

All i know from personal experience is octaine booster doesn't do shit.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Are you smoking crack?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

What in the hell are you babling about? I never said an increase in shit would increase nothing. Good God almighty son....put the fucking pipe down. Are you talking to yourself?
    You crack me up! Whoops...maybe I shouldn't have said "crack" ...or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS

Thread Information