Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Occasional No-start

This is a discussion on Occasional No-start within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Cutlass Yes. Test for power at the starter solenoid while cranking the key. The starter solenoid is ...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Yes. Test for power at the starter solenoid while cranking the key. The starter solenoid is bolted right on the starter. You could also check/tighten the battery cables at the battery
    Did you test for this? This will tell you if you are having issues with power from the starter relay to the the starter solenoid. Check that next time it gives you issues if you haven't. If don't have power the relay. If you still don't have power pull the relay and make sure that the relay is getting power from the ignition switch.

I had a ford crown vic that had similar issues and I replaced the relay. It worked fine for a few days and the problem returned. i checked the ignition switch and the was no power coming out of it. Replaced the ignition switch and the problem never occurred itself. Also clean the terminals at the starter.

Pewter
    99 z28

I remember my z28 had this problem. Once the problem started it slowly got worse with not starting. We popped started it at BK parking lot and that was the last time I could ever get it to start. It feels like its the starter but its not. For me it was somthing just as simple as a "clutch pedal switch". Cost me only $17 I ordered straight from GM and it fixed the problem. Easy to replace as its right under the steering wheel.

Black
    2000 Trans-Am WS6

anyone having this problem on ls1 t/a ws6 with auto trans? i drove my car home yesterday. this morning it wont start....lost!!! please help

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by EleventHour View Post
    anyone having this problem on ls1 t/a ws6 with auto trans? i drove my car home yesterday. this morning it wont start....lost!!! please help
    Won't even start in neutral? Does your security light on or flashing?

Black
    2000 Trans-Am WS6

not even in neutral. everything happens like normal. fuel pump turns on and primes injectors, cluster light come on and security light is solid for ~5 sec then goes off. I'm leaning toward either the starter or the starter silenoid(sp?)....any thoughts?

Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by EleventHour View Post
    not even in neutral. everything happens like normal. fuel pump turns on and primes injectors, cluster light come on and security light is solid for ~5 sec then goes off. I'm leaning toward either the starter or the starter silenoid(sp?)....any thoughts?
    That's what mine does, but I have a stick. I haven't fixed it yet, but all signs point to the starter. It's tough to troubleshoot because it's intermittent.

I found recently that if I just keep the key in the crank position, it will sometimes crank. Sometimes takes 30 seconds or more. I don't think I'm baking anything by doing this because the starter isn't actually drawing any juice because it isn't cranking. At least that's my theory. Nothing gets hot or smokes as far as I can tell.

Black
    2000 Trans-Am WS6

only issue i might think could come up with that is overloading the coil packs possibly(im not an expert on the subject, just using my logic). I am going to work on it this weekend and hopefully get somewhere with it. whatever i find out i will be sure to post here for ya

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

before you buy the starter make sure the solenoid wire has 12v. Check the conectors and wires for corrosion.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    before you buy the starter make sure the solenoid wire has 12v. Check the conectors and wires for corrosion.
    I'll do that. It's tough to test it because it always fails when I least expect it (i.e., in places where I can't jack it up and check it).

Black

All fixed...it was the starter. $108 plus $9 shipping from Rock Auto for a NEW (not reman) unit. "NSA" brand. I love those guys.

When I took the old starter out a bunch of black, fibrous crap came out with it. Clutch material, I presume. It doesn't hold too well anymore. Need to add that to the to-do list I guess.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

So, you need a new clutch now? Damn.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    So, you need a new clutch now? Damn.
    Yeah, but I knew that. I've smoked it several times. I was just surprised to find pieces of it tangled up in the starter.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yah. Probably fell down onto the starter.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Yah. Probably fell down onto the starter.
    I don't know if it has anything to do with the starter failing. Probably not. I can see chunks of black stuff between the engine and transmission, too. There must be a lot of it in there. But, it still works if I'm easy on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information