ocassional sputter

This is a discussion on ocassional sputter within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Any ideas; I have an '02 ws6 with a procharger, long tube headers, rear 02's deleted. I have had a ...

pewter
    2002 trans-am ws6

ocassional sputter

Any ideas; I have an '02 ws6 with a procharger, long tube headers, rear 02's deleted. I have had a very reputable shop dyno tune the car. The problem is the following, drive the car for a while and shut it off. Wait anywhere from 3-20 min car starts back up fine however upon normal acceleration it sputters. I'll give more gas the car slowly accelerates then like clearing its throat, stops sputting and takes off like a bat out of hell. Replaced fuel filter, new denso o2's, new map, new injectors, checked ait sensor with heat gun and meter seemed to pass, cleaned maf several times and tapped with screwdriver, nothing. Car just rolled 24k miles. Any suggestions I could try?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

First suggestion is please stop throwing parts at it and diagnose the problem. Have you checked the fuel pressure at the rail? Does it sputter if you simply rev the engine, or does it only do it under load while driving?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Like Jeff said check the fuel rail for pressure, Was there a fuel pump added with the Procharger?

pewter
    2002 trans-am ws6

I checked the fuel pressure at the schrader valve at one point and it passed the specs per svc manual. ( dont remember off hand think it was somewhere around 50-60psi). The procharger was on vehicle when i bought it and it apperars to have an inline pump installed. Dumb as it sounds once i try and take off and it sputters i have never tried just pushing in the clutch and reving it. Think this weekend i'll try reading pressure again and try to get it to sputter so i can rev it and see what happens.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It should have 58 psi at the rail.

Thread Information