Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

OBNOXIOUS squeaking noise

So I've been dealing with this squeak for the past couple of weeks and have poked around at it a little bit. It's extremely loud and only squeaks at it's loudest when the clutch is disengaged (so imagine sitting in rush hour traffic, in between two cars and listening to the squeak echo). It's pretty obnoxious and almost unbearable. I replaced my pulley. My teacher says throwout bearing but it's too close to the front of the engine to be that. I'm thinking now water pump or tensioner. It's literally louder than I can get my CD player without blowing my speakers out and the faster I go, the faster it squeaks, hence why I'm thinking tensioner. Any ideas?

What a good week. Break my f-ing door shell off, squeaks get worse, starts misfiring and have a giant vacuum leak. LOVE IT.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Pull your belts & see if it still squeaks, but I'm thinking throwout bearing if it gets worse when you depress the clutch pedal

Hope things get better

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

CLUTCH NOISE

"Clutch noise is another problem that may be tricky to pinpoint. If a squealing or chirping noise appears or goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed, the cause may be a bad release bearing. Other causes include a bad pilot bushing, a worn or defective input shaft bearing in the transmission, a worn, bent or improperly lubricated release fork, a worn input shaft, improper disc installation, misalignment, damaged bearing retainer, loose flywheel bolts, damaged disc splines, or worn stop pins or broken damper.

A growling or grinding noise when the clutch is engaged may be due to a bad transmission input shaft bearing.

A squealing sound that occurs when the clutch pedal is depressed and held is usually caused by a bad pilot bearing or bushing.

A chirping noise that intensifies when the pedal is slowly depressed would indicate a bad release bearing.

If you hear chirping while idling in neutral and the noise goes away when the pedal is slowly depressed, the fork/pivot ball contact point is making the noise."

Not sure if any of that hits home or not, but looked like useful info for ya.

Good luck

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Thank you guys
    I'm gonna hopefully tear into this week(end). How much of a PITA is it to do the throwout bearing? I'm really hoping it's something other than that but if it comes down to it...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Well the throw out bearing is inside the tranny housing right on top of the clutch unit itself I believe so you'll have to remove the transmission in order to replace it.

If I were you, and you don't mind the noise, I would just leave it until the clutch needs replacement. Or, if you have the money and are looking to upgrade the clutch, this would be the time to do it! The throw-out bearing would come with the new clutch assembly.

Usually the throwout bearing is just noisy due to lack of lube but doesn't cause a problem with the performance of the clutch. it is only used during disengagement I believe.

Sorry about your luck with your car. I know the feeling!!

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Well the throw out bearing is inside the tranny housing right on top of the clutch unit itself I believe so you'll have to remove the transmission in order to replace it.

If I were you, and you don't mind the noise, I would just leave it until the clutch needs replacement. Or, if you have the money and are looking to upgrade the clutch, this would be the time to do it! The throw-out bearing would come with the new clutch assembly.

Usually the throwout bearing is just noisy due to lack of lube but doesn't cause a problem with the performance of the clutch. it is only used during disengagement I believe.

Sorry about your luck with your car. I know the feeling!!
    good to know. if it's not a tensioner or my water pump (forgot to mention that - which kind of raised my eyebrow ... it's been running warmer than usual ... norm is about 170* with the 160* thermostat and it's been at about 210* ever since I dynoed it last week) then it must be the throwout and i'll leave it be until i put a new clutch in ... which may be sooner or later, i'm running 111xxx on the stock clutch still ...GIRLS CAN DRIVE A STICK AND NOT KILL IT!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    good to know. if it's not a tensioner or my water pump (forgot to mention that - which kind of raised my eyebrow ... it's been running warmer than usual ... norm is about 170* with the 160* thermostat and it's been at about 210* ever since I dynoed it last week) then it must be the throwout and i'll leave it be until i put a new clutch in ... which may be sooner or later, i'm running 111xxx on the stock clutch still ...GIRLS CAN DRIVE A STICK AND NOT KILL IT!
    I hope you catch a break and it's that simple. Always nice when you think something is horribly wrong and it turns out to be something easy and not too expensive to change.

I've known a couple girls that could drive the hell out of a stick. It's one of the sexiest things on this planet IMO. A friend's ex g/f beat his 1/4 mile time in his own car, barefoot! He got ragged on for a while after that one.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

I hope you catch a break and it's that simple. Always nice when you think something is horribly wrong and it turns out to be something easy and not too expensive to change.

I've known a couple girls that could drive the hell out of a stick. It's one of the sexiest things on this planet IMO. A friend's ex g/f beat his 1/4 mile time in his own car, barefoot! He got ragged on for a while after that one.
    Me too. Thank you, fingers crossed.

Haha, I always drive barefoot. It's more comfortable but I have such short legs the seat goes waaaaaay up so I can fully engage the clutch

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm just the opposite; long legs with big feet.

I've tried without shoes. Hell without shoes I have a hard time just backing it out of the garage let alone driving it lol.

I have also tried shifting with sandles. I can drive it sure, but definitely wouldn't be able to race it without getting used to it first.

I usually have on Docs, so a weighted shoe is what feels most comfortable to me.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Pull the belts, takes about 10 minutes and you'll know if it's the pump or pulleys

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
    Pull the belts, takes about 10 minutes and you'll know if it's the pump or pulleys
    Im gonna hafta do that bc on the way home from class it started squealing all the time, no matter if the clutch is engaged or not.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    Im gonna hafta do that bc on the way home from class it started squealing all the time, no matter if the clutch is engaged or not.
    Glad to hear that. Looks like you got a break hopefully.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Glad to hear that. Looks like you got a break hopefully.
    Man im hoping so! I never thought id be so happy to hear constant squeals

pewter
    99 trans am ws6

any new news. was it the water pump or a clutch issue

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by 99pewterta View Post
    any new news. was it the water pump or a clutch issue
    not yet, i wont be able do anything about it til at least sunday.

Thread Information