black
    2001 Trans Am

now my T/A is showing code P0161

ok, my car was throwing the code P0102, found out it was a blown fuse that was causing that code to come up. but now it is throwing the code P0161 which says it is "oxygen sensor heater circuit malfunction (post-converter sensor, right bank) does that just mean i need a new sensor, or does it mean a faulty wire? she does have pacesetter headers and a full 3" exhaust, also has after market cats. i have no idea what brand exhaust or cats, these were done by the previous owner. again thanks in advance for everyones help

98 Formula
    06 duramax

how many miles are on the sensors? Chances are it's just a sensor going bad but if you wanted to test it before laying down $50 for a new sensor move it to the drivers side and see if the code follows it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You can also test the heater circuit with a simple continuity tester. Two of the four wires run to the heater element and if it is blown you will have no continuity between the wires. If it's good you'll get an ohm reading of around 4-7 ohms or tone depending on the type of tester you have. My recollection is that the heater circuit is generally the two wires that have the same color. Someone can correct me on this if I am in error.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

when the sensors are going bad they more often throw 0160 for that sensor. I would check the wiring, sounds like you have a wire touching or too close to the headers.

black
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
    when the sensors are going bad they more often throw 0160 for that sensor. I would check the wiring, sounds like you have a wire touching or too close to the headers.
    that could be a possibility, we did have some trouble a couple months back with some wires getting to close to the headers. whoever installed them had heat tape around the wires, but they were too close and the heat from the headers burnt thru the tape. my husband moved the wires away from the headeres and put better heat tape on them. maybe that ordeal did more damage to the wiring than we thought. i'll have him check every thing.

black
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    how many miles are on the sensors? Chances are it's just a sensor going bad but if you wanted to test it before laying down $50 for a new sensor move it to the drivers side and see if the code follows it.
    i'm just gonna assume they have never been changed, so with that being said, they would have a little over 87,000 miles on them.

Thread Information