Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

Not warming engine up

Is it bad to drive your car constantly and never have it get up to operating temperature?

Im about to live really close to work (like a mile) and i know my ls1 takes awhile to get up to operating temperature. So is it bad for it to be driving it to and from work not completely warmed up? Should i let it run for 5-10 mins before driving it?

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

I always let my vehicles run for about 5 min. before driving them on a cold start

It just lets the oil circulate and warm up the block a bit, it good for automatics as well.
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

orange
    99 z28

use your better judgement, the biggest issue is you really need to let the oil circulate before driving. but thats only a minute or so. other than that listen for piston slap (common on cold starts w/lsx's) and don't drive until it goes away. i'm not too sure how aluminum reacts to heat changes...anyone?. i'm sure it's not the best thing in the world for it, but not too bad, try to keep the load on the engine down when cold too

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

yeah i definitely have piston slap and i hate it, it takes about 5-10 mins for it to go away on cold start with it just sitting there.

But thats such a pain in the ass to have to start your car 10 minutes before you leave, you cant be sporadic. Sucks for a DD. oh well i still would take it over any other DD any day

Ill just take my gfs slow ass 03 gt when i wanna be sporadic

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

One mile trip to work is bad on any engine. Fluids never get warm, any moisture in your engine, etc, won't evaporate. Letting the engine warm up idling is almost as bad.

Here's your solution: Get some kind of beater (gf Mustang? LOL) that you don't car about and drive that to work 75% of the time. Then drive your SS on nice days. Or, ride a bike. It's only 1 mile!

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

Yeah i skate, but the roads are to rough to skate there.

So i shouldn't let my car warm up at idle?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

My point is it is better to warm the engine up with moderate driving the first 5 miles or so, that is better than a 5 minute warmup idling. I guess a 5 minute warmup then a 1 mile drive would be better than just a 1 mile drive, tho!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Not bad to start your car and go, shutting it down before fully warmed up (ie short trips) is bad.

Torrid Red
    2005 GTO

I also have a short commute to work plus a 160* thermostat. I do one of two things during the colder weather. I either start the car 5-10 minutes before I have to leave for work or (this is my favorite) I take a longer way to work. This allows me to enjoy driving the car more and the engine gets thoroughly warmed up. On the weekends I will go cruising for at least an hour to be sure any moisture in the oil has evaporated. If you don't get the moisture out of the oil, you can develop sludge.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
    I also have a short commute to work plus a 160* thermostat. I do one of two things during the colder weather. I either start the car 5-10 minutes before I have to leave for work or (this is my favorite) I take a longer way to work. This allows me to enjoy driving the car more and the engine gets thoroughly warmed up. On the weekends I will go cruising for at least an hour to be sure any moisture in the oil has evaporated. If you don't get the moisture out of the oil, you can develop sludge.
    Now here is some good advice. Especially about taking a longer way to work, more fun driving the car!

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

Awesome, Thanks so much guys for the advice. Looks like ill only have to drive it more often! damn! !

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
    Yep. Thats why cars with short commutes for the life of the car usually have great sludge build ups, and cars with longer commutes are usually cleaner inside.

White
    2002 VY SS

Another problem you will probably encounter is you will go through batteries much quicker. Most late model cars now drag a fair amount of power from the battery as it is with everything being electronic, power options, security systems, etc... To continually crank over a large V8 and then not drive it long enough to recharge kills em real quick.

I should practise what I preach. Being on call, I run out to my car and am already out on the road, full noise, 2am, even before the system check is completed. Not good for engine wear, lubrication at all. Then it is a bit over 1/2 a mile to the station and shut her down. Battery never recharges properly, moisture sitting in the exhaust that wont dry out.

The SS is my DD and I cant do anything about it. I go though a battery every 2 years if I'm lucky...

Thread Information