Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not sure where to start...

This is a discussion on Not sure where to start... within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by TokerM Well...orders are placed... MSD 8.5 Cables & NGK55 Plugs. (How hard is it to get to ...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post

Well...orders are placed...

MSD 8.5 Cables & NGK55 Plugs. (How hard is it to get to the back plugs? I was looking at that and it seems a bit [understatement] tight. Do I remove the coils for better access?)
    Yes, remove the coils

There's 4 nights of busy-work for me to play with, my neighbor needs a new serp belt on his car, so I told him we'd take his car over for that (again, being new under the hood, a serp belt is a big job )
    Nope, its pretty easy on our cars. Can be a pain on some other cars though

So a couple other small ideas? Line lock seems like an unnecessary mod for now. Clutch was mentioned, but that sounds a bit intimidating, are we taking about dropping the tranny here?
    yes the trans needs to be removed for a clutch replacement

I'd like to add in a short throw shifter, but not if the job is that big.
    Its pretty easy

No exhaust for now (that welding BS... These mods aren't about getting other people to work on my car.)
    Most of the exhaust systems for our cars don't require any welding
    Answers in bold ^^^^Above

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

The serp belt is on a mid-90s Beretta. Although, knowing my neighbor, he'll be too drunk to ever get organized enough to do this

I looked on ls1howto.com for the shifter. Wow, that does look easy! The only real question I have there is, does anyone have recommendations or links for reviews on the shifters? It looks like my options are between Hurst & B&M (Again with the Summit link, simply for convenience.) Tradition seems to dictate I'd go with the Hurst, but what are the differences between them?

-edit-
    Which transmission is stock on the Z? I see a difference between the T5 & T-56.
    Last edited by TokerM; 09-21-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

In addition of what Cutlass said.

New shifter is so easy to install. Just have to be careful taking the center consul out. Old plastic breaks easy. Pro 5.0 is highly recommended here. Its my next part when my banker (wife*) allows me to buy some parts again. (* - banker is telling me to save some stuff for Christmas. I showed her my build list and told her not to worry , her reaction = )

Replacing the manual clutch was not hard, I've done 3 times in the last 18 months, but I also have a lift. Exhaust I did in my garage and still haven't weld the ORY yet. If your going to do exhaust you might as well wait on the plugs. Installing headers took a 2-3 hr spark plug job down to a 45 min job. I say installing LT headers paid for itself just because of better access to the spark plugs. With stock headers on I lowered the starter out of the way and went in from the bottom to get the #8 cylinder. That one is going to be a F'ing nightmare until you get headers. I've also heard of guys move the PCM out of the way so they can go that route. Good Luck!

Line lock = great for burn outs - just like a cut out, not a necessary need but damn sure fun to have. Both are on my build list but in the nice to have after all the important stuff is on first category.

Depending on your remaining cash I would strongly recommend upgrading the clutch to at lease a LS7 clutch kit. Use this till you dive into really building power and need a higher performing clutch kit.

OP, I mention a build list. I have an excel spreadsheet that has a list of all the stuff I want to do, vendors, websites and prices. It lists what I need and kinda directs what I'm working on at any certain point. This has been very helpful to me because there is no way I can keep all of this in my head for months on end, sometimes 2 months between these mini-projects.

I broke mine down into categories like: engine & drive train, suspension (front/rear), body & paint, wheels & tires, braking, interior, miscellaneous (this covers nice to have...) and needed repairs. Hope this will help.

Almost forgot, if you haven't already done so you must get the passenger window fix from Autotrix (Sponsor and Member). It will save you a passenger motor and some sever headaches. I have it and it is a God send!!!

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    ...Pro 5.0 is highly recommended here....
    Thoughts on the MGW Shifter?

...Almost forgot, if you haven't already done so you must get the passenger window fix from Autotrix (Sponsor and Member). It will save you a passenger motor and some sever headaches. I have it and it is a God send!!!
    That will most likely go in when I do the signal cam/lever. The window is having speed issues on the passenger side (last 1/3 close is half as fast as drivers side.) I'm pretty comfy tearing apart interiors (ask me about the time I had to fish a bullet out of my Cavalier's driver door )

I might end up with new issues here anyway... The SES light popped on me today (nice timing, class tonight.) I'll run the code tonight, but it's probably nothing... Sounds/feels/smells ok, light popped when I was close to red lining between 3-4 (ripping up a hill getting on the interstate.) We'll see what happens.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Thoughts on the MGW Shifter?

That will most likely go in when I do the signal cam/lever. The window is having speed issues on the passenger side (last 1/3 close is half as fast as drivers side.) I'm pretty comfy tearing apart interiors (ask me about the time I had to fish a bullet out of my Cavalier's driver door )

I might end up with new issues here anyway... The SES light popped on me today (nice timing, class tonight.) I'll run the code tonight, but it's probably nothing... Sounds/feels/smells ok, light popped when I was close to red lining between 3-4 (ripping up a hill getting on the interstate.) We'll see what happens.
    Never seen that one. If you get it post a report on it.

You might have come close to over revving it, the rev sensor will kick a SES light if you hit a certain rpm. It should go away after a couple of starts.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

You might have come close to over revving it, the rev sensor will kick a SES light if you hit a certain rpm. It should go away after a couple of starts.
    I wasn't sure if that would trip a SES, but since it does, dime will get you dollar that's what did it... I could just feel it was wrong as I engaged the clutch, and by the time I could focus on the tach, I had a bad feeling that I was in the red. Sadly, I think I'm still a bit used to my old turbo 6.

The only thought in my head was the scene from the Blues Brothers "We blew a rod..."

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The MGW and Pro5.0 shifters are the very best ones you can buy for your T56 Camaro. Don't waste your money on the other choices out there.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

What a fun night... There's no code reader in the shop! Oh well, I'll take care of that later... Start to pull the first tire off, and I notice that I have one of those stupid locking lug nuts on each tire, and I was never given a KEY! Thank God I didn't have a flat yet. As I'm thinking of pounding a socket in them, ripping them out and run of 4 bolts 'til I get to the Autozone at the bottom of the hill, I pull the second tire....

Locking lug nut = check

Oh look... This one is only running 4 bolts already! Love a missing lug nut from the dealership...

Check the rest of the tires... 3 have locking nuts, 3 are missing 1 bolt each.

Ah well, took care of those issues this morning, and had the code run.

P0171 - lean

Cleared and it didn't come back, is this just a "over-rev" on the engine most likely?

(subframe showed up today. )

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

P0171 - lean

Cleared and it didn't come back, is this just a "over-rev" on the engine most likely?
    no, its not an over-rev. Most likely its a vacuum leak or a faulty O2 sensor. Could be some other things as well. I guess just wait to see if it comes back on.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If I recall, MGW advertises in GMHTP. I would also like to see someone post a review of that shifter here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information